EagleTac quality?

pinecone

Newly Enlightened
I'm searching for a 2XCR123 light and read quite a lot about the P10C2 and the new T100C2. Both look good and would fit my needs. Only thing bothering me is some of the pictures in the reviews of various EagleTac products as well as the comments about the anodizing or lack of it in some cases. They just look kind of rough in places.

I know pictures can be deceiving and most folks give glowing reports on EagleTacs products, but when I look at the Fenix TK10/TK11 they just look like better quality machine work. They do cost more so is this a "get what you pay for deal" or am I being mislead by the pictures vs. the actual product?

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have bought four EagleTacs and kept two. The build quality of the XR-E series is top notch - the anodizing is perfect. The XP-E series is designed to be inexpensive, at around $40, but often has issues with anodizing and/or an imperfect beam.

BTW, the two I sold were not because of issues, but a better model from EagleTac. I sold the T10L and T10LC2 in favor of the cheaper P100C2, mostly because I like the body design so much. Also, I was lucky enough to get a P100C2 with only very minor issues.

Saint_Dogbert

Enlightened
The anodizing on the X10Xn series is probably as good as on any light. Machining is quite good too, on any Eagletac. I don't have experience with the X100Xn series but most reviews agree that it is more likely to chip.So the anodizing chips. Life ain't over.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a T10C2 and it's been great so far. It's my belt carry for alpine ski and stood up to the fall/crash/low temp no problem, even accidental drop on concrete floor (and I would expect any quality flashlight to do).

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 100c2. Nice little light, but the finish chips, especially around the tail cap area. Not sure how anodization chips, so it makes me wonder if it's anodized, at all.

Saint_Dogbert

Enlightened
All EagleTacs are Type III anodized. type III ano is very brittle at edges and corners, so it is normal for it to chip off of these parts of the light as it wears.

pinecone

Newly Enlightened
I have bought four EagleTacs and kept two. The build quality of the XR-E series is top notch - the anodizing is perfect. The XP-E series is designed to be inexpensive, at around $40, but often has issues with anodizing and/or an imperfect beam.

BTW, the two I sold were not because of issues, but a better model from EagleTac. I sold the T10L and T10LC2 in favor of the cheaper P100C2, mostly because I like the body design so much. Also, I was lucky enough to get a P100C2 with only very minor issues.

I assumed the XR-E led was just more expensive to manufacture, and that was what made the price more. Looks like the difference between those models and XP-E series may also be in the construction. Most of the XR-E lights are about $20 more so you may be paying some for quality.

On the other hand, I'm not a collector I'm a user, so a chip here and there may make no difference.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think XRE and XPE is the reason for price difference, but rather eagletac want to have an economy line of sorts. XPE cannot take as much current as XRE so they chose that since economy line would have lower output than main line.

Policetacteam

Enlightened
I have been using my T10LC2 for a couple of months as my primary duty light. This thing is dependable, super bright, and has been dropped several times. It is as tough as nails! The only wear that I can even notice is a tiny chip in the tail area where my seat belt (the metal buckle) rubs on it every time I get into the cruiser. Metal slapping against metal...yea its probably going to show a bit of wear! The light is awesome and I would turn around and buy another one in a heart beat if I ever heard that they were going to stop making it! I have owned more Surefires than I can count and about 4 Fenix lights. This was my first EagleTac and I'm sold! Great build...awesome light!

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think every company will suffer from chips. from my experience, eagletac are built very well. they give me the impression of being the best built even though their price is not the highest.

bioman

Newly Enlightened

Was the T10LC2 too big for you? How was the beam of that light?

polkiuj

Enlightened
The T10LC2 is too big to EDC unless u don't put in in your pocket.

The beam is not perfect unfortunately but it is good enough. Better than most X-RE based lights.

Painful Chafe

Enlightened
I had two T10LC2. I can say that the beam on one wasn't perfect, but it was very close. The second one though is perfect. No rings, doughnut holes, etc. Great light.