Guard Critters

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Here are two of the Barn Swallows that guard my front porch! There is usually a third one that is perched on the porch light by the front door. Little critters are fearless and will call for help when disturbed! They let out a sound that attracts all the other Barn Swallows in the area, and you now six to ten little birds swarming around your head!

birds1.jpg

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Roy,

I have two barn swallows returning to my front porch from last year. I am trying to get rid of them. I don't want to hurt them, only to keep them from nesting on my front porch. I wouldn't care accept they make a mess of my front porch and scare people who are unaware they are there. They sure are determined little creatures!

Tomas

Banned
Thanks for the pic, Roy!

They're amazing, aren't they. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My mum has a family of them on her deck every year, and as long as she doesn't move too fast and stays to her end of the deck they just keep a wary eye on her.

The little ones are fascinating when the are just learning to fly. One year she has a little daredevil that would fly as fast as he could all the time, but didn't have all that great a control. He ran into more things until he finally figured out he could go in other than a straight line. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif He was like a giant June Bug ...

tomsig03.gif

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
They have reused the same nest on the front porch for the last 6-7 years. For some reason, this year they have not used the nest. They are roosting on the porch, but are not using the nest for some reason.

I wonder if the ones that built the nest have died?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Tik, how about building a barn swallow bird house away from your porch?
Roy, you mean this year it is a diffrent couple? (maybe the nest has bugs or something in it?) or maybe it's just become too much of a fixer upper after 7 years and they're thinking of starting from scratch this year.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Latest posts