IPX8 standard explained!!!

roadie

Enlightened
Test Level Definitions

IPX-0 No special protection

IPX-1 Protected against falling water Equivalent to 3-5mm rainfall per minute for a duration of 10 minutes.
Unit is placed in its normal operating position.

IPX-2 Protected against falling water when tilted up to 15 degrees - Same as IPX-1 but unit is tested in 4 fixed positions -
tilted 15 degrees in each direction from normal operating position.

IPX-3 Protected against spraying water - Water spraying up to 60 degrees from vertical at 10 liters/min at a pressure of 80-100kN/m2 for 5 min.

IPX-4 Protected against splashing water - Same as IPX-3 but water is sprayed at all angles.

IPX-5 Protected against water jets - Water projected at all angles through a 6.3mm nozzle at a flow rate of 12.5 liters/min at
a pressure of 30kN/m2 for 3 minutes from a distance of 3 meters.

IPX-6 Protected against heavy seas - Water projected at all angles through a 12.5mm nozzle at a flow rate of 100 liters/min at
a pressure of 100kN/m2 for 3 minutes from a distance of 3 meters.

IPX-7 Protected against water immersion - Immersion for 30 minutes at a depth of 1 meter.

IPX-8 Protected against water submersion - The equipment is suitable for continual submersion in water under conditions which are identified by the manufacturer.

Last edited:

roadie

Enlightened
Re: IPX standards explained!!!

i got the info from some webby, its nice to have the tablet explained, therefore sharing with everyone whom has doubts abt IPX or planning to get a light with has IPX ratings.

:grin2:

fasuto

Enlightened

So IPX-8 without deep says very little, may be same as IPX-7

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast

IPX-8 means suitable for continuous immersion in depths over 1 metre. That's quite different from IPX-7 which is dunkable up to 1 metre. AFAIK the IPX-8 tests are specified by the manufacturer so they can be appropriate to whatever is being tested. Eg: 12 hours at 30 metres might be sufficient for a diver's flashlight or camera, but not enough for something desgined to be permanently submersed in extreme conditions.

R@ndom

Enlightened

And the x before the number stands for dust protection afaik mayby somebody could shed some light(wink wink) on it.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast

And the x before the number stands for dust protection afaik mayby somebody could shed some light(wink wink) on it.
Actually IP stands for ingress protection the X I found this may help
Example - IP Rating
With the IP rating IP 54, 5 describes the level of protection from solid objects and 4 describes the level of protection from liquids.
An "X" can used for one of the digits if there is only one class of protection, i.e. IPX1 which addresses protection against vertically falling drops of water e.g. condensation.. :twothumbs

Marduke

Flashaholic

IPX-8 is ANYTHING better than IPX-7. It can be longer time, deeper depth, or both. The details are specified by the manufacturer.

That is why you see so many definition of what "IPX-8" is all over the internet. Each manufacturer posts what they certify to, and people think what they Googled and found applies to all IPX-8 certified products, even from different manufacturers.

DM51

Flashaholic

IPX8 is frequently quoted as a "standard", but it is virtually useless. It is supposed to be accompanied by a figure for depth to have any meaning, but that figure is only rarely given.

Furthermore, it is a static test, not a dynamic one. There is no requirement to move the item when it is submerged, or to operate it (switch on/off etc).

To say any item is "waterproof to IPX8 standard" by itself is therefore totally meaningless.

petersmith6

Enlightened

my uk100 light cannon is IP 68 16..well i know it dosnt leak at 70meters and the swich was just fine.

Helmut.G

Enlightened

a bit more info on wikipedia (probably more than you'd ever need to know :p)
the article supports what DM51 already said, IPX8 without additional info from the manufacturer doesn't mean very much

Last edited:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast

IPX-8 ... under conditions which are identified by the manufacturer.

Update: Not-True [Exactly... rather than 8 being the highest level, it actually means nothing. A light can be declared IPX-8 without even passing IPX-6 standards, so really it is just marketing and says... we have o-rings and if you enough lubrication on the threads we hope it will survive a dunking.] It does appear that IP ratings are a scale and IPX8 is considered beyond IPX7 for continual immersion.

To be fair though, unless your buying a dive light, most of the lights do fairly well and are not destroyed by a accidental submersion even if they need to be dried out a bit. Many of the lights have shown to operate under static conditions submerged is shallow water.

So although the spec does not mean much, I'm pretty happy with the level of protection provided by most manufactures.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic

Exactly... rather than 8 being the highest level, it actually means nothing. A light can be declared IPX-8 without even passing IPX-6 standards, so really it is just marketing and says... we have o-rings and if you enough lubrication on the threads we hope it will survive a dunking.

That's not true. IPX-8 is defined as equal to and greater than IPX-7 in some way.

When the exact information is not known for an IPX-8 claim, IPX-7 certification is inherently (and correctly) assumed as a bounding condition.

The product can do AT LEAST 1M depth for AT LEAST 30 minutes. The "conditions identified" can be >1M, or >30min, or both, but NOT LESS.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's not true. IPX-8 is defined as equal to and greater than IPX-7 in some way.

I stand corrected. I'm happy with what most manufactures are offering.

Just to clarify, this is the IP (Ingress Protection) standard, and X signifies no protection rating against solid objects.

Last edited:

mega_lumens

Enlightened

Am I missing something because even the highest IPX 7,8 doesn't sound like a rigorous standard. What rating do submarine lights or deep sea explorer robots meet to function at extreme conditions? Is there another international standard unit used besides IPX for more extreme conditions?

Wattnot

Enlightened

The way that definition reads (and I believe I first saw that in a much older thread) you would think that IPX-8 means it's automatically a full blown diving light. However, I don't believe any of our IPX-8 "certified" lights are suitable for real diving. Maybe some fun in your swimming pool but I'd say that's about it.

Marduke

Flashaholic

Am I missing something because even the highest IPX 7,8 doesn't sound like a rigorous standard. What rating do submarine lights or deep sea explorer robots meet to function at extreme conditions? Is there another international standard unit used besides IPX for more extreme conditions?

IP certification is meant for dust, dirt, splash, and dunkable electronics. It is not intended to describe any sort of submergence rating whatsoever.

Dive ratings are much more rigorous, and ideally also take dynamic pressures into account. That's why a "200m" watch is really only meant for swimming or snorkeling at best. The dynamic pressures experienced at those shallow depths doing those activities are similar to a static pressure at 200m.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast

Am I missing something because even the highest IPX 7,8 doesn't sound like a rigorous standard. What rating do submarine lights or deep sea explorer robots meet to function at extreme conditions?

Components on these type of things use IP ratings. While "IPX8" itself doesn't tell you much, it can be rigorous. It can involve testing from 1 metre to over 1000 metres, and from 30 minutes to any amount of time. The ratings are used on components of ships (it's a requirement of the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea), oil rigs, underwater vehicles etc. The conditions of the test vary accordingly.

But for the average flashlight, it will likely just mean you can drop it in a puddle. :shrug: