Streamlight Strion LED UI (Surefire, take note. This is how the E1B should be done)

cslinger

Enlightened
So I got my Strion LED last night and I must say I am very pleased. It is very well made, very bright and compares very well with my Streamlight Super-Tac, which I am very impressed with as well. Brightness, build quality etc. aside I wanted to address the Strion's user interface.

The a momentary push ALWAYS gives you full blast, as you would want in a tactical flashlight.
A full click on ALWAYS gives you full blast, as you would want in a tactical flashlight.

The only way to access the other light levels is by clicking fully on and then clicking and holding to cycle through them. This is a very deliberate act and one that I couldn't see being done accidentally. I like this as if one is using the light for pure utility the extra couple seconds doesn't matter in cycling.

I really feel like this is the best of both worlds in terms of having a tactical flashlight that can also be used in a longer running utility role.

The light also has a strobe function that is accessed by two fast double full clicks. I kind of feel strobe is gimmicky and have little use for it but one could easily go from full blast to strobe back to full blast or off quickly and easily if desired.

My only real complaint is there isn't enough variation in the levels. I would prefer medium to be about what the low is and low to be ALOT lower.

All in all I am extremely impressed with the new Strion LED and it seems Streamlight as a whole is winning me over lately with the Super Tac, TLR series and now this LED Strion.

Chris

County

Newly Enlightened
Couldn't agree more with everything you stated. SL for some reason doesn't get as much attention.. I think many of their products are underrated or overlooked on CPF. I too have the Strion LED and am thrilled with it. I just got the Polystinger LED (185 Lumen model).. it has the same UI as the Strion.. and even out-throws the Pelican 7060!

Oh, and my SuperTAC out-throws my DBS-V2 (cree q5 single stage)!

bioman

Newly Enlightened
For the guys with Strion LED, was the LED centered correctly in the bezel when you received it?

bioman

Newly Enlightened
How about the charging bracket during charging? Does it emit a faint high pitched buzz/sound when charging?

Thanks.

cslinger

Enlightened
I will check the charging noise tonight when I get home. Now I am a gunny and shoot quite a bit and I have just gotten over a nasty ear infection so I am not sure how much I will be able to help you. :D I can however hear that annoying tone they use that only teenagers are supposed to be able to hear.

Mikellen

Enlightened
To the owners of the Strion LED; how would you describe the tint color? Ex. cool white, vanilla white, neutral white, or whichever other terms you can use to describe the tint.

Thank you.

cslinger

Enlightened
If I hold the charger up to my ear I can hear a noise. Not a whine but an electrical hum or noise. I only hear this if I hold it directly to my ear like a seashell. My charger is from the original Strion Incan. if that matters.

Tint is very white for me, almost HID car light so to speak.

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
Definitely gonna buy one of these for myself and for my bro on duty to replace the scorpion he uses..it should fit in the same holster and I'm sure he'll appreciate the huge increase in lumens! How is the tint? The scorpion is on the white side, but very neutral.

quick question: If by chance the light were dying in a situation that required light, and hypothetically speaking your backup light were dead (highly unlikely if you're not an idiot) could you unscrew the head and drop in two x CR123 batteries?

Last edited:

Mikellen

Enlightened
I posted this in another thread but thought I'd share it here.

I received the Strion LED today but had to send it back to Streamlight because it is defective. It worked for about 5 minutes then the light just shut off. I placed it in the charger and the red charging light stayed on. In about an hour I removed the light to test it and the flashlight still was not working. So I placed it back in the charger, the red light stayed lit, and after about an hour the red light started to blink really fast sort of like a strobe. I removed it from the charger and re-tested the light and it still did not work. I placed it in another Strion charger and the same thing happened, after an hour of the red light constantly on, the light started strobing again.

Has anyone else experienced problems with their Strion LED or incandecent Strion?
I previously purchased 2 incandecent Strions at different times and both needed to go back for repair right after I purchased them.

Sreamlight's Customer Service is top notch but I'm not sure if their Strion models are though.

The flashlight worked long enough for me to decide that I like the UI. Hopefully Streamlight will figure out what's wrong with the flashlight and I won't need to use their customer service after this repair.

Last edited: