Noobies dopey question

tabetha

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I am a newbie, and am passionate about all things torches/flashlight, especially modding.
I have never done any modding on these before, normally only mod cars like me cossie, but am wondering is it as simple as making a bit fit and wires from battery, as I have heard about drivers regulated unregulated etc.
Can anyone please give me a quick rundown on components needed.
My first project is going to be beefing up a worklight, as it's shockingly bad in the light output dept, using a SSC P7 led, the torch is a 6V sealed lead acid battery, but plenty of room for bits near the head.
Please help with my dopey questions, thanks.
tabetha

tabetha

Newly Enlightened
Bugger, sorry didn't realise that, can a kindly mod please do the necessary for me please.
Please accept my appologies to anyone on this section for the irrelevant post.
tabetha

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a forum for the buying/selling/trading of custom flashlights, your post is better suited elsewhere.

+1 ..... you will get a better response if your question was asked in the correct section ie Homemade and Modified Lights

:)

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,
I am a newbie, and am passionate about all things torches/flashlight, especially modding.
I have never done any modding on these before, normally only mod cars like me cossie, but am wondering is it as simple as making a bit fit and wires from battery, as I have heard about drivers regulated unregulated etc.
Can anyone please give me a quick rundown on components needed.
My first project is going to be beefing up a worklight, as it's shockingly bad in the light output dept, using a SSC P7 led, the torch is a 6V sealed lead acid battery, but plenty of room for bits near the head.
Please help with my dopey questions, thanks.
tabetha

Basics you need to make a SSC P7 work are:
Battery (6v you have)
Heat Sink (bigger the better you will need to dissapate 10watts)
Hi power buck driver (2.8A is the max current)
Soldering skills (practice on trashed PC boards)
thermal adhesive (good bond between LED and heatsink)

Even more basic, get rid of the lead acid battery and driver and run it on 3 NiMH SubC cells Direct Drive. You will still want a big heat sink.
Actually you could buy a 3S3P SC NiMH Battery pack that will fit in the same space as the Lead acid and weigh a third. Cheapbatterypacks.com can make custom SubC cell packs that will do the job.

tabetha

Newly Enlightened
Awsome thanks for that, I'm good at soldering, auto sparky for years, also do little electronic kits, thanks for the website much appreciated.
tabetha

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awsome thanks for that, I'm good at soldering, auto sparky for years, also do little electronic kits, thanks for the website much appreciated.
tabetha

Not a problem, just realize if its a plastic body the heat will need to get out into the air or your hand somehow.
You could overheat and burn out a heat isolated P7 running direct drive.

I did this to an old headlamp
I heated the heatsink over the stove and melted it through the headlamp
so I could get 3watts out, the heatsink is very hot,
I should have used a bigger one.
Your P7 will need to get 10watts out.

P1030087.jpg