Nitecore D20 short runtime?

BST07

Newly Enlightened
First time making a thread, so be gentle :D

I have been reading over the years and bought several lights. My latest edition is the Nitecore D20 (non R2). I bought this light mainly for the variable brightness and the super low for late night walking around the house. I use this light mostly on it's lowest settings, hardly full power. I thought I would actually get insane run times with Eneloops. However, with full charged Eneloops, I am getting extremely short run times. If I were to sum up the time before I have to recharge, it would be around 1 hour max (remember, I use thise light mainly on the lowest brightness). I checked the voltage on my Eneloops and it reads a ridiculously low voltage (0.09 volts). I tried using different batteries and the problem persists.

Did I get a defective light?

Thanks!

Marlinaholic

Newly Enlightened
I think so, mine will run about a couple hours on max with NIMH AAs. I used it continuously one night when my septic tank plugged up in light freezing rain! It was cold and wet and got muddy ect. but kept on working. If you are getting short runtimes even on less than max, I think you have a defective one.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I checked the voltage on my Eneloops and it reads a ridiculously low voltage (0.09 volts). I tried using different batteries and the problem persists.

Did I get a defective light?

Thanks!

No, something killed your cells. Fully discharged, they should not read below 0.9v. 0.09v is DEAD.

What charger are you using? What voltage are the cells when they come off it?

BST07

Newly Enlightened
No, something killed your cells. Fully discharged, they should not read below 0.9v. 0.09v is DEAD.

What charger are you using? What voltage are the cells when they come off it?

I just recently purchased these cells so they are pretty new (Charged less than 2 times). I used the charger that is bundled with the Costco bundle to charge these cells. I left the cells overnight and found that the voltages on the cells are 1.07V. Which makes me wonder how the cells recovered?? I tried it with other eneloops on the D20 and having short run-times aswell.

I bought this light from 4sevens, do you think I should contact them for warranty?

netprince

Enlightened
It would be pretty easy to try some different cells to determine if the problem is the cells or the light. I tend to bet it is the cells.

Pick up some energizer lithium AA cells and see how the light works with them...

Latest posts