Scammers... Amazing

5.0Trunk

Enlightened
It's amazing how many scammers there are out there just trying to rip someone off. I listed my Nikon D70 on craigslist, and I specifically stated Cash & Local sale. I have received so many e-mails, all of them have almost the same story: Ship it to my family member in Africa while I am working in the States, and then they go on and say they will pay $100 over the original price to cover the shipping. They really think people are stupid, granted some people may and do fall for it. Just thought I would rant a little.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
rock worth 2000.. moon rock? diamond? i will have 2 each of those thanks. :)

-if they are ready to pay upfront the camera and the 100.. well.. let them. :) tell them where to send it with express delivery and wait for it to arrive. and ask them to deduct the money fedex demands from the 100 extra. :) when cash in hand , check it with uv for fakes and then ship them the rock.. ermm i meant the the camera.

* i am still waiting for my inheritance from an nigerian uncle that i didnt know i had.. but the lawyer handling the case in nigeria is obviously very slow to send the money to me. its been 2 or 3 years already. and i said that if he pays for the costs (5% of the total) instead of me sendind it to him from here.
and then send the rest to me, i will pay him 25% of the total, for his efforts. easy simple way to him to get a lot of money for little input. but never heard of him again. gave him the adress of my attorney too but he has not heard of the nigerian either. guess he kept the whole inheritance. ;)

**i got stiffed once with car amp i bought. got the package. opened it up it only had the casing of the amp and phonebook as weight.

i called and emailed the guy several times. didnt answer. but as his adress ended up to be actually correct. i asked my old army friend that lived in that town to return the phonebook to him. he was kind enough to do it. as the scammer recognized the book he did confess but was a bit cocky about it. so my friend helped the scammer to close his own car door.. too bad the idiots fingers were in between.

didnt get refund per se.. but im ok with it. it was only 200.

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
-if they are ready to pay upfront the camera and the 100.. well.. let them. :) tell them where to send it with express delivery and wait for it to arrive. and ask them to deduct the money fedex demands from the 100 extra. :) when cash in hand , check it with uv for fakes and then ship them the rock.. ermm i meant the the camera.

And this is where a lot of people get scammed... They get a check in the mail, cash the check, think they're ok, send out their item, spend the money... And a month later get a message from the bank that the check was no good and they owe the bank X ammount of money...

The only way to play safe is to ask the buyer to mail you the money in cash, which is ofcourse an extra risk...

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
And this is where a lot of people get scammed... They get a check in the mail, cash the check, think they're ok, send out their item, spend the money... And a month later get a message from the bank that the check was no good and they owe the bank X ammount of money...

And don't forget that in the meanwhile you probably get to pay fees to your bank ($35-50 and up - some banks will charge you to breathe their air) and depending upon the amount the scam check is for quite a few people could end up with an overdrawn account (plus fees for that, another $30-50 or more) in that situation. It could cost you a lot more than you think. The banks will look to you for that money no matter what the problem is from an overseas bank. That is the definition of "adding insult to injury." Scammers making even a few bucks from one in a thousand suckers are coming out ahead by shear numbers especially if they live in a country where the average income is under a dollar a day. Banks will go after you because it's way easier for them 'cause you're relatively close by. Fair? No. And as most banks will tell you, "So what?"

exodus125

Enlightened
no kidding, I sell A LOT of things on craigslist and I have seen first hand how many more scammers there are now trying to pull that off.

The scary thing is that now they contact you and they make you think its a legitimate person by saying. " whats the lowest you can go" or something along those lines. Then you email them back, they get your email address and then they start with the story. Let this be a warning to everyone don't fall for the scam. You would be amazed how many people fall for this.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
rock worth 2000.. moon rock? diamond? i will have 2 each of those thanks. :)

Not sure how many people have heard of the story, but someguy actually sent the scammer a rock, declared it $2000 so whoever gets it have to pay butt load of tax before picking up the package.