Beamshots at 100 feet - outside - 19 lights

Zot

Enlightened
More beamshots here:
Beamshots at 100 feet - outside - Quark Update

I recently participated in the RA-100-WWCN passaround. Thanks Enzo!
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=191278
One of the main reasons for the passaround was to see what a warm white led looks like and to share our thoughts.

Well one thing led to another and I ended up with beamshots of 19 different lights, led, incandecent and HID. Here are my results. Please let me know what you think.

All photos were taken with my camera on a tripod at about 4 1/2 feet high, white balance set to direct sunlight and exposed for 10 seconds at f8. I held the lights above the camera and aimed the center of the beam at a reflective stake 100 feet away between 2 small trees. There is a second stake at 50 feet where the green grass ends and brown leaves begin. It is more distinct as a separate stake in the photos where the stakes are offset from each other.

All lights used new primary batteries that measured 100% on a ZTS tester (except the POB which has a rechargeable battery).

dsc5987controllabeled.jpg

dsc5995ra100wwcnlabeled.jpg

dsc5993surefirep60label.jpg

dsc6123surefirep61label.jpg

dsc5996malkoffm60q4labe.jpg

dsc5997malkoffm60flabel.jpg

dsc5989magled4dsmdonutl.jpg

dsc6005malkoff234dopref.jpg

dsc6119maglite4dincansm.jpg

dsc6118maglite4dincanno.jpg

continued in the next post...

Last edited:

Zot

Enlightened
Re: Beamshots at 100 feet

More beamshots at 100 feet.

dsc5994nitecoreex10cree.jpg

dsc59945nitecoreex10gol.jpg

dsc6122inovax5labeled.jpg

dsc5999amilitet5seoulp4.jpg

dsc6004jetbeamjet1mkiih.jpg

dsc6000fenixp1dceq5labe.jpg

dsc6003surefirel4labele.jpg

The Quadstar would be even brighter on NiMH batteries! :party:
dsc6120elektrolumensqua.jpg

dsc6007poweronboardhidl.jpg

dsc6124zebralighth50q5h.jpg

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for all the awesome beamshots! Nice to see the L4 still holding it's own! the one of the X5 reminds me of how much it light it DOESN'T put out...but it's still tough as nails, and my second real light, so it will stay in my collection. Thanks again for the great beam shots!

s.c.

Newly Enlightened

While scrolling down the pics, I was thinking that a shot during a sunny day would be nice to evaluate what we're really looking at...until I saw the Power on Board HID.

1996alnl

Enlightened

Great pics-thank you for posting.That POB looks like it's going to ignite those trees.LOL

Yeah no kidding
I hope you had a fire extinguisher handy.:laughing:

Excellent work,it's threads like this that really get my attention.

Zot

Enlightened
Re: Beamshots at 100 feet - outside

Yes. I had forgotten just how bright the Quadstar phaser is, even with Alkaline batteries. Someday I will have to find some C NiMH to run in it.
nice beamshots, like the phaser...

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great beamshots, thanks.

I also like that Malkoff M60F.

And that little Amilite T5 isn't too bad, either. Remember that's 1 x CR123a light, about the size of a SureFire Backup.

Though both the M60 amd the Amilite show that we really need some more warm-tinted LED emitters!

tabetha

Newly Enlightened

Ace beamshots, thanks it is so helpfull when people post up beamshots as that's what it's all about after all.
I do like the phaser 3c.
tabetha

gottawearshades

Enlightened
Great shots, very helpful. Thanks.

Interesting how just the slightest bit of focus gives the X5 a lot more throw than the Zebralight.

Also, I can't really see any difference in color rendition between the EX10 with Cree and with the GD+.

Cool stuff.

chaoss

Enlightened
Great beamshots Zot :thumbsup:.
That PoB HID looks like it might start a fire if you are not careful :eek:.

E.T.A. That P1D CE really puts out for such a small light.

Last edited:

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the excellent real world beam shots! 10 seconds seems like a fairly long exposure but would you say what you see in the pics is fairly representative of what you see with you eyes when making the beamshots? Do you know what ISO setting your camera was set on (if it has that option). I'm asking this only so I can take some night beam shots in the future where I plan on comparing a few unique lights I've got.

Zot

Enlightened
I tried to get an accurate representation on the beams. I used a Nikon D70s set to ISO 400 and zoomed to 22mm.

If I had shot f4 instead of f8 I would have only exposed for 2.5 seconds to get the same exposure, but the depth of field would be less. Since I wanted to show to show the beams at 100 feet I used a smaller f-stop to show a larger area in focus.

Thanks for all the excellent real world beam shots! 10 seconds seems like a fairly long exposure but would you say what you see in the pics is fairly representative of what you see with you eyes when making the beamshots? Do you know what ISO setting your camera was set on (if it has that option). I'm asking this only so I can take some night beam shots in the future where I plan on comparing a few unique lights I've got.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a Nikon D70 too (but not the s model) - great cameras. Thanks for the help! Now if I can just get some time to do beam shots. :sigh: I want to compare my new HDS U60 M with a P7 and taskled driver pushing around 3 amps through it (estimated 600 Lumens) to some other lights. This thing lights up a huge area at a distance and I think some night beam shots with a fairly wide angle will show the real 'wow' factor it has.

MikeF

Enlightened
Zot,
Great work, very useful comparison beamshots. I'm sorry if I missed it in the thread but I was wondering about how was the white balance set on your camera? Was it auto white balance or did you have it set on a manual preset? It looks like the white balance was consistent from shot to shot and shows the differences between the colors of the lights outputs/ Thanks again for the great shots.

I tried to get an accurate representation on the beams. I used a Nikon D70s set to ISO 400 and zoomed to 22mm.

If I had shot f4 instead of f8 I would have only exposed for 2.5 seconds to get the same exposure, but the depth of field would be less. Since I wanted to show to show the beams at 100 feet I used a smaller f-stop to show a larger area in focus.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great beamshots! While I also likethe Malkoff the best, I also really liked the Ra 100.