Help picking a flashlight?

TechnoWeenie

Newly Enlightened
N00b here asking for help.... I'm a technical guy, but the reviews are just information overload....

I had an 'Ultrafire C1 Q5-WC' which I loved.. Lost it somewhere a few months ago, but need a replacement.

I'm looking for it to be small, no more than say 6", using 18650 or RCR123, with a minimum of modes being high/low/strobe. HAS to have the strobe feature.

What's the brightest/best flashlight , less than 30$, that fits those criteria?

Thanks guys!

nakamoomin

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I know I am a noob here, but my impression is that the Solarforce L2 (avail. @ solarforcestore dawt kom) is a good budget performer. It is 5 mode, (high - med - true low - strobe - SO) and puts out a claimed 300 lm (Cree R2).

I recently got it and I think it is well-built. More importantly, it accepts P60-modules. In other words, easy upgrade.

cost: $25 incl pouch and one 18650 batt.

Good luck
T.

PS: Why 18650 / RCR123A? Runtime-wise and size-wise they are almost oposites (except diameter)? Would you consider other sizes?

Last edited:

CdBoy

Newly Enlightened
i don't know about you. but i prefer a flashlight that uses AA or AAA (much cheaper). current AA or AAA battery technology already improved especially those eneloop technology which you can find on several brands of battery as evidenced in many posts made on candlepowerforums.

get a Fenix LD20 using 2xAA and you will not regret it. not so expensive and its quite reliable and durable.

get a Surefire if you have enough budget or money.

Fenix will do.