Just got my PhotonFanatic Tasklight Two.

deusexaethera

Banned
This thing is gorgeous -- bigger than I thought, but gorgeous. I knew nickel-plate looks good, but I don't think it's ever looked this good before.

For the record, the TL2 is ~2x the height of a CR123 battery, and a little wider in diameter. Not that that matters, but the product photos suggest it's smaller than that.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you'll put up your pics of it, that'll be swell. :D

Peter Atwood

Enlightened
I have one mounted on a flexible shaft and screwed into a base that I made out of PVC fittings. I sprayed the base black. Makes a great little work lamp for my design table.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
io24gi.jpg

Beautiful things are meant to be photographed.

deusexaethera

Banned
Wah wah wah, your needs...

With other commonly-found objects for size reference:
CIMG3237.jpg

Taken apart because nobody has ever posted a pic like this before, as far as I can tell:
CIMG3241.jpg

deusexaethera

Banned
Yeah, the plating and the knurling make for a very photogenic finish. I first got turned on to nickel-plate through biking, because the gears and chains are usually nickel-plated steel/aluminum. Nickel is a member of the Chromium group on the periodic table, so it's shiny, corrosion-resistant, and harder than hell. It also doesn't flake off as easily as chromium does. So, all around, it's an excellent choice for durability and appearance.

deusexaethera

Banned
Question, though; does anyone know how to switch between the modes on this light? It's kinda doing it randomly right now, or at least it seems that way since I don't know what the triggers are.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
It's a mini-FluPIC driver... the directions are - somewhere. :thinking: Check for Goldserve's threads, or perhaps on TnC's website, as I believe they sell them (or sold them). :) Once you get used to how the FluPIC works, it's second nature, but I understand what you mean when it seems to switch on randomly, LOL.

I love the TL1 and the TL2!

20090102251smar2.jpg

:thumbsup: john

deusexaethera

Banned
I got Fred to explain it to me, and I also helped him find a deficiency in his existing instructions. The short version is:

There are 5 modes:

1. high
2. programmable
3. low
4. unused (LED is off, changes back to mode 1 after a few seconds)
5. a special setting used to program setting 2.

A few seconds after the light is turned on, it will blink once. After this blink, turning the light off-on again will not result in a mode change. Before the blink, turning the light off-on again cycles from the current mode to the next mode. So, modes can be cycled by turning the light on-off-on quickly. The light will always remember which mode you stop at.

In mode 5, the LED will turn on high for a moment, then turn on low and start increasing in brightness until it reaches high, then ramp back down to low again. The brightness for mode 2 is selected by shutting off the light when it reaches the brightness you want. After shutting the light off in mode 5, it will automatically switch to mode 1 again.

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few seconds after the light is turned on, it will blink once. After this blink, turning the light off-on again will not result in a mode change. Before the blink, turning the light off-on again cycles from the current mode to the next mode. So, modes can be cycled by turning the light on-off-on quickly.
Aaah, I always wondered what the purpose of that blink was :thumbsup:

Eric