Largest living organisim?

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
If you guessed Blue Whale, that was my first thought.
The answer is here

However if you want a couple of clues--highlight to read
THE LARGEST living organism ever found has been discovered in an ancient American forest.

The discovery came after Catherine Parks, a scientist at the Pacific Northwest Research Station in La Grande, Oregon, in 1998 heard about a big tree die-off .... in the forest east of Prairie City.

"We just decided to go out looking for one bigger than the last claim," said Gregory Filip, associate professor of integrated forest protection at Oregon State University, and an expert in Armillaria. "There hasn't been anything measured with any scientific technique that has shown any plant or animal to be larger than this."

brucec

Enlightened
Isn't it supposed to be a grove of Aspen trees which are all connected at the roots so they are actually just one giant tree? Which is why nearly the entire mountainside changes colors simultaneously.

Last edited:

gsxrac

Enlightened
I also thought it was the great barrier reef? Any Australian CPF'ers that can clearify?

greenLED

Flashaholic
I guess we could nitpick and talk semantics about what "a living organism" is and isn't:

Isn't it supposed to be a grove of Aspen trees which are all connected at the roots so they are actually just one giant tree? Which is why nearly the entire mountainside changes colors simultaneously.
Are these separate trees that at some point became connected? or is this a large stand of clones that sprouted from roots of an original tree (a bunch of "ramets")?

Yeah, I heard that and also The Great Barrier Reef.
Some would call the TGB a "colony" (a group of individuals of the same species/growing close by).

/biogeek mode off

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I haven't checked the link yet but my guess is a mold or fungus. I recall seeing something about some type of mold that was expected to extend over many acres or even square miles. Now that I have made my guess and possibly made an idiot of myself, I will check the link.

As to the reef, coral is a colony of tiny critters which are to some extent independent of each other so I don't see how this would be considered an organisim in a singular sense.

brucec

Enlightened
Are these separate trees that at some point became connected? or is this a large stand of clones that sprouted from roots of an original tree (a bunch of "ramets")?

I think this is a single tree that has roots that grow underground and then sprout up a whole bunch of ramets. I found the Wiki site for an Aspen grove called Pando, which is supposed to be 6000 tons and 80,000 years old! I don't know, but my vote is for Pando over the mushroom thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pando_(tree)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Largest_organism

Last edited: