Fenix L1D w/ L2D Q5 Head or Nitecore D10 R2 poll

What would you choose?

• Total voters

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I currently use the L1D with L2D Q5 head, but am curious about the Nitecore D2, but since it is a tad bit expensive, I want to see what people would prefer over the other through this simple poll. Thank you in advance for your input, as this will help me decide if the Nitecore is worth the cash or if I should stick with what I have.

The poll will have 3 options: Fenix, Nitecore, or Other. If you pick "other" feel free to throw out a suggestion for a small bright flashlight (comparable to the two above) that can withstand some abuse on their highest modes for long periods of time, but at the same time can be carried in your pocket comfortably. Good throw is a major factor. No CR123 flashlights. Preferably a light that runs off of Rechargable AA or AAA batteries and not lithiums. Also something hopefully no more than $75. But opinions are always welcome...

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Just so you know, the L1D body with L2D Q5 head is simply an L1D Q5. So this is L1D Q5 vs D10 R2.

There are several reviews directly comparring the L1D Q5 and D10Q5. The only difference the R2 will have is a slightly higher brightness (0%-14% range, 7% average)

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an L2D and not a L1D, my preference is to the Fenix over my Nitecore's. I prefer the preset output levels. Actually I have nothing I prefer more than my Fenix lights for EDC, but hey don't let it stop you from buying a new light and trying it for yourself. There is only so much someone else can tell you about a light before you have to try it yourself. So if you can order yourself a D10. Others I would suggest is the Connextion2, it will cost you less to give it a try.

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just so you know, the L1D body with L2D Q5 head is simply an L1D Q5. So this is L1D Q5 vs D10 R2.

There are several reviews directly comparring the L1D Q5 and D10Q5. The only difference the R2 will have is a slightly higher brightness (0%-14% range, 7% average)

Ic. You learn something new everyday lol Thank you for pointing that out. Which has a better throw out of the two?

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now I just heard Nitecore is coming out with a EZ AA model... Would this be better to get than the D10?

Last edited:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like D10's knurling. I also have no need for strobe nor sos. PD's great. So, D10's my choice.

loanshark

Enlightened
Now I just heard Nitecore is coming out with a EZ AA model... Would this be better to get than the D10?

If you like twisties and want the slimmer form factor, you may consider it better... In use i think very few would say the EZAA is "better" than the D10. If they truly hit there 15 lumen for 20 hours claim, then it is more efficient than the D10.

I don't have an EZAA yet so these are just my impressions...

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
What kind of bulb is the R2? I did see the standard D10 was only 130 lumens, and with the R2 version, it is 145 lumens... Is the R2 the latest D10 version? And lastly how is the throw of the D10 compare to the L1D Q5?

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like D10's knurling. I also have no need for strobe nor sos. PD's great. So, D10's my choice.

Thank you for your input! Ive never had knurling on my flashlights, but it makes that big of a difference in grip huh?

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I hope someone can help me with this next question... What has better throw between the two? (I think this will help me make my decision) And is the throw significant compared to the other?
If someone could get some yards or feet data for the throw comparisons, I would greatly appreciate this...

Cheers!

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for your input! Ive never had knurling on my flashlights, but it makes that big of a difference in grip huh?

You got to hold it to understand what I mean. Their knurling is more aggressive than most lights, the only other light I know who has the same, if not better, knurling quality is Surefire.
Having said that, I don't mind smoother finishes like Fenix. But if I am to compare knurling to knurling, Nitecore definitely has better grip for me.

Last edited:

Nocam

Newly Enlightened
Do the Nitecore D10, the EZAA was recalled/cancelled I believe to fix issues. I have no experience with the Fenix, but I do with the D10. The R2 version is awesome, great UI, great out put, small size, and common battery. Can't go wrong.

And if you don't like it you can always sell it at the MP, someone will pick it up.

Egsise

Banned
Why not buy a Fenix PD20 with a smooth reflector, you could use L1D body with it, or PD20 body for 180 bulb lumens.
Olight T15 Q5 2008 model has a very tight beam, if you just want more throw.

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do the Nitecore D10, the EZAA was recalled/cancelled I believe to fix issues. I have no experience with the Fenix, but I do with the D10. The R2 version is awesome, great UI, great out put, small size, and common battery. Can't go wrong.

And if you don't like it you can always sell it at the MP, someone will pick it up.

I did hear about that with the EZAA. I will take your advice on that. How far does your R2 throw? And is R2 the latest version of the D10? What is considered better Q5 or R2? And what is the difference?

Why not buy a Fenix PD20 with a smooth reflector, you could use L1D body with it, or PD20 body for 180 bulb lumens.
Olight T15 Q5 2008 model has a very tight beam, if you just want more throw.

Wow, I did not know that the L1D body works with the PD20, I thought it was only the P2D. That's news to me. Am I only going to get 120 lumens max if I use the L1D body on the PD20? I will look into that Olight, but how is the durability of Olights compared to Fenix and Nitecore? Any dark spots?

loanshark

Enlightened
I own both lights. The throw is close to the same.

The R2 is the a newer bin than a Q5 not much difference... If I get a chance tonight I'll compare the two outside to see if I could tell a difference in throw.

I will say that if I could only keep one of the two I'd be keeping my D10. They are both nice lights, the D10 is just more versatile...

Daekar

Enlightened
The Nitecore has a wider range of outputs thanks to its UI and circuits... but nobody has more efficient circuits in mass-production lights than Fenix. I'd go with the L1D Q5 or LD10.

polkiuj

Enlightened
I voted other.

I think the Eagletac P10A is a great choice. Now that the lens issue has been fixed, it is easily the brightest, furthest throwing (bar dedicated throwers) and has excellent heatsinking. Add an efficient current-control circuit to that and 2 nice simple modes.

loanshark

Enlightened
I voted other.

I think the Eagletac P10A is a great choice. Now that the lens issue has been fixed, it is easily the brightest, furthest throwing (bar dedicated throwers) and has excellent heatsinking. Add an efficient current-control circuit to that and 2 nice simple modes.

So you've compared it to the D10 R2? How much brighter is it?

Egsise

Banned
P10AvsLD20vsD10.jpg

luxeja.jpg

http://www.light-reviews.com/compare.html
There was no LD10 or D10 R2 to compare... but LD10 on turbo is brighter than LD20 on high. And if D10 R2 is under 20% brighter than D10 Q5....
BUT, thats only with comparing 1xAA, LD10 can not handle 14500.

LD10, LD20 and PD20 heads are the same, PD20 with LD10 or L1D tube is only 120 lumens.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Fenix "L1D" with L2D Q5 head (and RB100 head) and also a Nitecore D10 Q5. For EDC use, the Nitecore takes it due to it's lower low and screaming high. The Fenix L1D Q5 is generally used with the RB100 head for more runtime as a bicycle helmet light. Must protect that RB100 until the RB140 arrives (2014?)

If runtime is critical on high to you, the Fenix is more efficient with it's current regulator VS PWM of the D10. If controlling variable light levels, better knurling, longevity of switching and the slightly smaller size is important, by all means get the D10 R2. I have 4 Fenix L1D/L2D lights with three being Q5 and one RB100 and they have never failed me. I keep the tailswitch rings tight and they work great as bike lights. The D10 Q5 is my EDC as I prefer the PD design and usefullness it offers.

The Eagletac P10A is something to look at if throw is your thing although I don't have one of those. The Fenix L1D Q5 puts out 1920 on the review site so the Eagletac is 15% brighter for better throw. The Nitecore numbers can be boosted 7% because that is the average light increase from the Q5 bin to the R2 bin. Say a reading of 1744, still lowest out of the three of them but very respectable.

Buy both! :)

Last edited: