sharpener for small to medium knifes

B30wuLF

Newly Enlightened
i am looking for a sharpener for my multitools and pocket knifes.
it should be able to sharpen serrated blades (like on my skeletool cx)
all my havy duty sharpening like axes and stuff is already covered by a [FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Gerber sharpening steel[/SIZE][/FONT].

the sharpmaker caught my attention, but i dont like that you have to sharpen serrated blades with the edge of the stone. i think a cone shaped round stone would be better for the job.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
The CountyComm ones are also made for Gerber and others. They are OK because they use ceramic rods, but not my first choice. They can be a bit tricky to sharpen the base of the blade nearest the choil (that's the unsharpened foot of the blade).

Don't be afraid of triangular shaped rods -- it's the motion used in the sharpening that gets into the full width of the bevel of the serrations.

I prefer ceramic sharpeners for serrations but that's only my preference. There are quite a few brands to look at but I'd start with Lansky (not just the systems, they have other sharpeners, too), DMT, and Spyderco.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
my vote is for the lansky diamond sharpener system and several of the DMT diamond sharpening " cards" in fine and extra fine grits

cryhavok

Enlightened
I've had a few different sharpeners and finally bought an Edgepro Apex...hands down the best sharpener I've used.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spyderco Sharpmaker. I've had mine for several years, it changed how I use and buy knives. Very easy to sharpen any knife I've tried on it, well worth the (reasonable IMO) price you have to pay for it.

tundratrader

Enlightened
Of all of the different rigs I have tried I think my sharpmaker gets the most use. Works great for serrated stuff. If you dont want to use them in the angle jig, the stones work great handheld. The white fine ceramic gets anything I have shaving sharp, including axes. The sharpmaker is just about bulletproof as well. I have been using mine for about five years now and the stones are still perfect.

Zach

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
another one for the sharpmaker, works great on my serrated bread knife

rkJr

Enlightened
Gotta agree with the others, the sharpmaker has handled every serrrated blade I own. easy, fast and very sharp afterwards.!

cheetokhan

Enlightened
I have a question for those of you using the Sharpmaker.
I used to own a similar product with ceramic rods. I think it was called Crock-Sticks, or something like that. It worked OK, but the ceramic rods would very quickly fill up with microscopic metal shavings and stop working. Then I would have to scrub the ceramic with Comet to flush out the metal. They did sharpen OK, but it was way too much work to keep the rods clean.
Is that still a problem with the Spyderco Sharpmaker? Do you have to frequently clean the ceramic rods?

tundratrader

Enlightened
You do have to clean them. I use either baking soda or comet and a scotch brite pad. Really any type of sharpening system needs to be cleaned on a regular basis. Even the DMT diamond stones or waterstones need to be cleaned.