LED LENSER H7R , good for dental application?

DDS

Enlightened
Hi: I was at a dental convention this weekend and was looking at some LED headlights to use in conjunction with my loupes. The prices ranged from $850-$1100! I have been researching various headlamps and came across the above headlamp and it seemed that this model might work. I basically need a tight spot at approximately 20" working distance from my eye. I need to be able to illuminate the oral cavity and lips without spill into the patients eyes. For any owners out there, how tight would the spot be at that working distance? Is it a nice uniform round beam without any "holes" mid beam? Do you think it would meet my needs? I will probably buy it anyway and if it doesn't work out, I'll use it for camping. I plan on removing the headband and using a modified clip mount to fit my loupes. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks! Dave

SureAddicted

Enlightened
I basically need a tight spot at approximately 20" working distance from my eye. I need to be able to illuminate the oral cavity and lips without spill into the patients eyes. For any owners out there, how tight would the spot be at that working distance? Is it a nice uniform round beam without any "holes" mid beam? Do you think it would meet my needs? I will probably buy it anyway and if it doesn't work out, I'll use it for camping. I plan on removing the headband and using a modified clip mount to fit my loupes. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks! Dave

The beam at 20" is roughly 5" in diameter, you can alter the beam by playing around with the focus system. The beam on spot is not as uniform as a flashlight beam, ie it's not as round. There are no holes in the beam or rings, it's pretty smooth. I think it would suit your needs well, the reason I say that is because it's a compact unit. You can also set the brightness to your needs. I don't have the rechargeable version, but I'm more than happy with it. As for camping, it's a must have.

DDS

Enlightened
Thanks for the feedback guys.

SureAddicted: A round beam is not a prerequisite, only that it is smooth. I'm going to give it a try and see how it pans out. Can't swallow the big bucks for the ones sold by the loupe companies. They are nicely done but way overpriced and the beams that I saw were either too blue or yellow. I'll have fun playing around with it. Looks like I might have to solder on a longer lead so I can put the battery pack in my scrub shirt pocket or clip it to my waist.

Thanks again! Dave

Offroad'Bent

Enlightened
I used to use a modified PT Apex with a stock optic for dental applications. The beam with the Seoul P4 was tighter than the OEM beam, and very good for dental use. I'm now using a scope with a P7LED source, and have a little custom light on my loupes machined by Fred Pilon, but I still keep a modded Apex around the office too.

electrothump

Enlightened
Hi: I was at a dental convention this weekend and was looking at some LED headlights to use in conjunction with my loupes. The prices ranged from $850-$1100! I have been researching various headlamps and came across the above headlamp and it seemed that this model might work. I basically need a tight spot at approximately 20" working distance from my eye. I need to be able to illuminate the oral cavity and lips without spill into the patients eyes. For any owners out there, how tight would the spot be at that working distance? Is it a nice uniform round beam without any "holes" mid beam? Do you think it would meet my needs? I will probably buy it anyway and if it doesn't work out, I'll use it for camping. I plan on removing the headband and using a modified clip mount to fit my loupes. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks! Dave

For the most part, I think it's a heck of a good light. Just do not try to overpower it. It will fry in a split second. I liked mine so well, that I bought a second one. I tried boosting the power by a mere 1.2 volts, and it scorched it in just a few seconds. Don't really like the AAA format, nor do I like the rubber piece that holds the batteries in. But, it is a very lightweight light, and it is a very versatile light. I would buy another, if I break the one I have.

DN