Looking for 1xAA Cree, tailstand, inexpensive

mick53

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I'm looking for a 1xAA Cree that will tail stand and has a decent runtime and is also inexpensive, around $25.

Pretty tall order, isn't it? I realize there may be no such thing.

Thanks.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Someone would probably sell you a used Fenix L1D, Jetbeam C-LE, or Rexlight for $25. Keep an eye on the Marketplace.

Geoff

Abyssos

Newly Enlightened
The Energizer 1 watt 1AA at your local Target is on clearance for $6-$10 (price varies from store to store it would seem).

This flashlight has two versions: Luxeon LED (has smooth reflector) and Cree-C LED (has orange peel reflector). I hear that Autozone also carries it, but it is at $20.

The forward clicky sticks out past the tailcap, but after the light is clicked on, the clicky rubber cap is recessed enough to allow tailstand.

Happy hunting.

mick53

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I'm looking for a 1xAA Cree that will tail stand and has a decent runtime and is also inexpensive, around $25.

Pretty tall order, isn't it? I realize there may be no such thing.

Thanks.

Ihadn't thought of looking in the Marketplace until it was mentioned here. But what was there has been bought.

If somebody has one as described above, please PM me. It doesn't have to be pretty; it just has to work.

Thanks,

Mike

superpila

Newly Enlightened
I got the ultrafire a10 from DX: sku.19187
It's inexpensive and reasonably well built, and can tailstand. If you don't mind the single mode it might be a good choice.

funkychateau

Enlightened
The Akoray Cree Q5-WC is a good little light for $20.

Dealextreme.com SKU 16607

Here is a review to help...

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2895765&postcount=333

I'll second this recommendation. I recently bought one of these, as much out of curiosity regarding the programmability as anything else, and it's a fantastic value. Not only are all three modes individually programmable, but it also has built-in over-discharge protection for using unprotected Li-ion cells (you can turn this protection off for using alkaline, NiCad, or NiMH). Plus, even the strobe rate is user-programmable, from very slow to almost-invisibly fast. Extremely bright on 14500 Li-ion cells, though it does get a little warm. I'd worry if it didn't, though - the warmth tells me there's some heatsinking away from the pill. And it does tail-stand.

The only "con" I've noted is an easily-fixed tendency for an intermittent ground of the tail switch module.

Regarding a lanyard attachment - yes, it does have one. You merely unscrew the tail cap, remove the wire pocket clip, and then lay the lanyard string in the empty groove. Replace the tail cap, allowing the lanyard string to exit the two holes previously used by the clip wires. Looks slick as snot.

mick53

Newly Enlightened
The Akoray Cree Q5-WC is a good little light for $20.

Dealextreme.com SKU 16607

Here is a review to help...

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2895765&postcount=333

+1 to the akoray if you dont find anything suitable in MP.

I'll second this recommendation. I recently bought one of these, as much out of curiosity regarding the programmability as anything else, and it's a fantastic value. Not only are all three modes individually programmable, but it also has built-in over-discharge protection for using unprotected Li-ion cells (you can turn this protection off for using alkaline, NiCad, or NiMH). Plus, even the strobe rate is user-programmable, from very slow to almost-invisibly fast. Extremely bright on 14500 Li-ion cells, though it does get a little warm. I'd worry if it didn't, though - the warmth tells me there's some heatsinking away from the pill. And it does tail-stand.

The only "con" I've noted is an easily-fixed tendency for an intermittent ground of the tail switch module.

Regarding a lanyard attachment - yes, it does have one. You merely unscrew the tail cap, remove the wire pocket clip, and then lay the lanyard string in the empty groove. Replace the tail cap, allowing the lanyard string to exit the two holes previously used by the clip wires. Looks slick as snot.

This one does sound good, you guys. Thanks for pointing it out. I ordered one a few minutes ago with some of these: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.19626

Are these good batteries for it?

Thanks again,

Mike

tbenedict

Enlightened
If an hour of runtime is long enough and you want bright, check out the MTE C2-1 on DX. I really like mine, but it is too bright for up close work.