MCE optic question Ledil Iris

trout

Enlightened
not sure if this is the correct place to ask but has anyone had any experience with this MCE optic the Ledil Iris

supposed to be a true spot for the MCE.
Tis a bit on the large size though

ifor powell

Enlightened
Spec looks good if a bit large as you say. I would test one if I had one but I am not into chasing around to get all the optics I can any more.

Ifor

trout

Enlightened
Curiosity got the better of me so I had to order one
and also took a gamble on the smaller one which is a Khatod 20mm aspherical optic for the XRE in the hope it would fit the MCE

beams020.jpg

The beam shots are quite interesting if very low tech for on here.
the target is 2 metres from the light and the outer ring is 1 metre diameter.
the camera is just a point and shoot .

first shot is the Ledil Iris on a MCE of unknown bin

beams016.jpg

the second is the Kathod optic on the same MCE

beams008.jpg

And the third is a shot of the same MCE with a Ledil Boom reflector for reference.

beams006.jpg

trout

Enlightened
My This is a lonely little thread , But never mind here is a beamshot of the Iris optic out in the woods on an MCE K bin @ 500 ma per die.

the front tree is 35 mtres away the trees middle distance ar 75 mtrs amd the back one are 150 mtrs

beams022.jpg

niner

Enlightened
trout, thank you for introducing Iris to the forum. I ordered a few to try out. Will compare to optics I have on hand.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
trout, just found this thread by accident, searching for something to focus my MC-Es ...

the 1st pics seem to give the reflector a much better spill but main beam is difficult to say ...
What do You think, is the reflector or the optic the better one?

is that outdoor-shot with the 10 deg optic?

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
With Ledil Boom reflector you will get only around 2000lux/1m. Very wide beam and lots of side spill, but the throw is quite pathetic for a 700lm light source... Didn't have a chance to measure MC-E with Iris yet, but the throw looks definitely better :)

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi - Thank you for posting those beam shots. They are quite helpful.

I am on the lookout for an optic or reflector in the nominal 20mm dia range for MC-E or similar, and those are very telling. If you have any other 20mm ish dia optic or reflector beam shots, that would be great.

Thanks

Harry

wquiles

Flashaholic
Thanks for the beamshots - very interesting indeed, specially for the MC-E ;)

Has anyone actually built an MC-E light with the Khatod 20mm optic?

Will

Last edited:

Hill

Enlightened
I agree. The khatod aspheric really improves MCE throw over Ledil boom. Spec sheet for those from Khatod is here.

I have experimented a little comparing Ledil boom and some Cree XRE optics that came with my Terralux TLE300M drop in (sorry no beam shots). The optics definitely improve throw, however the beam was not the prettiest.

I would be interested in trying those Khatod optics out. Looking at the spec sheet, it appears to be a ~20 mm aspheric lens housed in a cylinderical holder. I wonder if a similar set up could be done using either this or this aspheric from DX and placing in a ledil boom. Might be interesting if the focal length would be optimal.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might have something if you can make a holder that is perhaps a tripod instead of a tube, so that light that goes to the sides gets caught by the boom, while forward light normally for the wide flood of mc-e lights could be contributed to the hot spot. I wonder what kind of pattern itwould be, though...

Last edited:

Hill

Enlightened
Actually, if I could find the right diameter lens, I was hoping to simply "glue" it onto the top of the Ledil booms, or at least have it held down by pressure from the main lens. I would have to be very luck to find the exact diameter and FL to make this happen though.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
mult. die LED's work SO much better with optics.. very impressed by the Iris

nbjly

Enlightened
Does anyone have one or two of these they would part with? I'd like to try it out - I can send Paypal -