EDC tactical flashlight. Help wanted?

USP9c

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
I'm new hear though I've lurked for months. There is tons of information here but I'm having a little trouble finding just what I need.
I'm looking to buy a higher quality EDC flashlight and I am swamped by all the options. I started looking shortly before Christmas last year and don't feel like I'm making very much headway even though I have learned a lot.
If you know of any light that pretty well qualifies please let me know and I will take a look at it.

100lm tactical. What I'm wanting is a tactical flashlight with about a 100lm LED light.
2 modes(stages?), 100lm & 30lm. I would like it to have at least two modes (Maybe like on the Fenix LD10, though I have not handled one.), the first, and main one being the really bright tactical and the second being something dimmer, like 30lm but it would also be nice if the second mode had multiple brightness levels. The reason I would like the "modes" is so that I can choose between it coming on "full brightness" and a dimmer brightness before I actually turn it on (I've heard the the Fenix have a delay after they are turned on before it figures out what mode it is set to. I don't like that but I'm sure I could live with it if its the best option.)
Mode(stage?)1, simple 100lm. The first mode I want very simple, momentary-on, and constant-on, nothing else available here (At least not readily. I was looking at one earlier today that if after having it on momentarily you flick it back on within 2 seconds it comes on dimmer; I'm afraid that's not going to work too well for me. If however it did that after a full lock on, it would probably be just fine).
Mode(stage?) 2, complicated 30lm. The second mode can be a bit more complicated with cycling through different brightness levels. It would be nice if it was pretty intuitive but I'm sure I'll get the hang of whatever light I end up with.
Mode(stage?) 3, really dim (optional). I think three modes might actually work best with the first two as described above and the third one coming on at 3-5lm and it can also have multiple levels available (with three "modes" none of them would have to have multiple brightness levels).
Mode style. I'm not really sure how it would be best to have it swap between "modes" but I would like to be able to do it fairly readily but I don't want it swapping "accidentally" or while riding in my pocket. (Maybe like on the Fenix LD10/PD30, though I've never handled a Fenix.)
Momentary on tail switch. One thing for sure though, it must have a momentary-on tail cap switch which also has constant-on. I'm not sure which will work better for me, the push for momentary-on and rotate for constant-on, like the traditional SureFire, or the partial depress for momentary-on and full depress for constant-on. I wish I could lay hands on some different ones and give them a try but the local shops I tried had everything in clam-packs. At this point I'm thinking the rotate for constant-on would be nicest if I can get it.
123 or AA. I intend to carry it either in my pocket or in a sheath on my belt next to my multi-tool so it needs to be fairly small (I wouldn't want it much bigger than a Mini-Mag). I'm thinking probably 1 123 battery but I'm also considering 2 123s, or 1 or 2 AA. AAA is probably too small as I would like some battery life and 100lm is going to eat up a lot quickly. I also don't think I want to go with anything odder than the 123 (not that it's particularly rare but I don't have anything else that takes that yet).
Focus (optional). I can't think of much else. Having a focusable beam would be nice but probably not essential if the preset is good.

This description may not have been completely clear, especially since I probably don't know the right terminology, so if you have any questions please ask.

I know I'm probably asking a lot and I may end up having to go with dedicated lights, one for tactical and one for everyday sort of stuff, but I'm sort of hoping I can get something like what I talked about above. There is probably some that are similar enough that I can live with the things that I "don't necessarily like" so let me know what you can recommend.

Price wise, I would like to stay under $100 new, which may really mean taking a cut on what features I can have. If you do know of something more expensive that would seem to fit the bill please through it out for my consideration.

Thank you very much for your time.

Zechariah

JJV

Newly Enlightened
:welcome:

That's a long list and it seems that you have a couple of different things you are looking for. Something like the Surefire E1B or E2DL seem like they would be right up your alley, with the exception of the price and the fact that the low is not 30 lumens (at least not advertised at that; Surefire underrates their advertised lumens). But each of these are north of $100.

A combination of tactical/momentary on and no head-twisting is a tall order, I think, though I don't know every single light out there. Even the two listed above have their drawbacks regarding the timing of the clicks to get from one setting to the other.

Personally I would lean toward something like the Nitecore Defender Infinity for your needs-you can keep it at its highest setting (120 lm), twist the head for a lower setting which you can determine (I think that's important), that setting is changeable at any time, and the clickie tailcap does work as a momentary-on. It's a single AA light, comes with a cool lanyard, and seems to otherwise fit your criteria, I would think.

As I usually state after I give advice, someone will likely come along and tell me I am all wet, so take the above FWIW! :wave:

USP9c

Newly Enlightened
Thank you, I'll take a look at each of those.
Having the head rotate to change the brightness level instead of multiple clicks of the tail button would probably be the nicest option.
The Nitecore Defender Infinity looks interesting I'll have to take a closer look at it.
Any more ideas anyone?

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened
Novatac 120P trust me on that one!

You can pick up a nice used one over on the marketplace for around 90 USD, it has 4 programable modes (although you done need to use all 4 if you dont want to) The UI is simple, 120 lumen high, .3 lumen low and much much more in between, although not focusable it does have a nice beam that has a great (imo) combination of flood and throw it will act as a momentary if you hold the button for more than half a second and if you just click it (less time than half a second) it will act as a clicky switch... good lights and USA made

Last edited:

polkiuj

Enlightened
1st, some clarification. Fenix LD10 does not produce 100 lumens when driven with a NiMh battery. My best guess is around 80ish lumens out the front. Maybe it does produce more than 100 at LED. How do I know this? My LD10 produces less light than mm Inova T1 which is tested by MrGman to produce (almost) exactly 100 lumens. The LD10 does produce more than (again, best guess) 200 lumens when driven with a 14500 but u lose all modes and might kill the light (slowly?).

Guess which light I carry now? I love the T1 for a few reasons. It feels super solid and nice(my LD10 now feels like sponge or tofu and has sharp corners), has a perfect beam, really nice switch and no "accidental" mode change. But it only has 1 mode.

Other awesome lights include: (I'm thinking pocketable, no big heads)

Eagletac P10/P100 series
Surefire L1 - Produces about or more than 200 lumens when driven with RCR123. Has ~9000++ lux medium spot but very little spill and 2 modes! Although it is quite bright (30/40 lumens?) with RCR but is exactly what you want! (And a lot more other Surefire models I'm sure)
RaClicky (kings of programming multi modes)

And many more!! =D
Novatac (kings of programming multi modes)

Dan FO

Enlightened
To me a true tactical has to have a deadman switch so the new Surefife LX2 would be the one when it comes out.

sohl

Newly Enlightened
Hi

If I was you I would buy a Nitecore Extreme R2 (https://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=93&products_id=711)

It haves 2 modes: high 220 lumens
low 2-220 lumens

What I likes with this light is that shifting between high and low is mechanic, you twist the head to change. ( search on youtube).

It's running on 1 cr123 battery, but because it's surefire E-serie compatible. You can buy a surefire E2DL body and a tailswitch and you can run it on 1 17650 recharge battery.

USP9c

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the welcome and all the ideas folks.
Right now I'm leaning toward the NiteCores and SureFires that people have mentioned, though I certainly will research the other ones people have mentioned.

Thank you so much for the help.

groo01

Newly Enlightened
Groo here
I would try a Fenix TR11 ..
It has two settings 65lms and 240 lms with a twist of the head..
Plus a tail switch..
Then a small low powered light that can hide in your watch pocket...

polkiuj

Enlightened
People people... don't get carried away yea?

"123 or AA. I intend to carry it either in my pocket or in a sheath on my belt next to my multi-tool so it needs to be fairly small (I wouldn't want it much bigger than a Mini-Mag). I'm thinking probably 1 123 battery but I'm also considering 2 123s, or 1 or 2 AA. AAA is probably too small as I would like some battery life and 100lm is going to eat up a lot quickly. I also don't think I want to go with anything odder than the 123 (not that it's particularly rare but I don't have anything else that takes that yet)."

TK11 and M20 sounds way to big eh?

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:
Don't discount the user interfaces that require multiple clicks such as Novatac or Ra. They become quite intuitive fairly quickly. Programmable lights are not only fun to play with but you can tailor the light to your preferences.
Although both the Ra and Novatac lights have a momentary option you can not flash quickly. If you enable the simple momentary option they light will come on and stay on for as long as you are holding down the button but a quick press will simply turn them on. If you require a swith you can do morse code with for example then these lights would not be appropriate otherwise give them some consideration. You'll see a lot of praise for the Ra Clicky.

Having the head rotate to change the brightness level instead of multiple clicks of the tail button would probably be the nicest option...

Last edited:

buickid

Enlightened
Doesn't the 120P on full-momentary work like a regular twisty switch? I've never tried it, but I know it requires a reset to un-set that option. I do love my 120P though, real easy to use. I have it setup so one click turns it to last used mode, three clicks for ultra low, two click to switch/toggle between med-lo and med-hi, click-hold for high. Usually I'll leave it set to med-hi or high, so when I turn it on, its good to go. Before I go to bed, I'll set it to ultra-low. I also have it set so that holding from off will act as a momentary switch. Seems complicated, but give it a week of EDC use tops and you'll have it down pat. :D You can easily set one of the modes to SOS if you need.

PetaBread

Enlightened
People people... don't get carried away yea?

"123 or AA. I intend to carry it either in my pocket or in a sheath on my belt next to my multi-tool so it needs to be fairly small (I wouldn't want it much bigger than a Mini-Mag). I'm thinking probably 1 123 battery but I'm also considering 2 123s, or 1 or 2 AA. AAA is probably too small as I would like some battery life and 100lm is going to eat up a lot quickly. I also don't think I want to go with anything odder than the 123 (not that it's particularly rare but I don't have anything else that takes that yet)."

TK11 and M20 sounds way to big eh?

The M20 is 5.6 inches, so how is that "way to big"? I'm sure everyone here

can read.

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Jetbeam Jet III Pro ST sounds about right, not sure if its still available though.

3 individually programable modes from minimum (advertised 2 lumens) to maximum (advertised 225 lumens)

Runs on 1 x 18650 cell, runtime on mine at max is 1hr 45 minutes +/-

Has strobe (frequency programable), blink mode, locator and SOS in a separate menu.

Waterproof and very durable.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
1st i second that it is very fast to learn to use most of the lights even if they are multimodes. little practise and it gets second nature to tap thru the modes and/or learn how to access the high or low fast.

others have mentioned good lights already, but just for fun of it i decided to give an different option.

Dosun lights. (not smallest available but allows you to choose the output before turning it on by the twist switch and has the momentary too.) when looking at the nitecore defender or extreme at 4sevens.com check the dosuns too.

i have no experience with these. never looked them before. never heard anyone here talking about them either. but decided to mention them here as i noticed them myself just now.

(the switch thing is gaining popularity in some other new lights too, like fenix ta30 and eagletacs m2)

other not mentioned ones to look at.. iTP flashlights .. (adjustable by loosening the head and tightening it when the "right" output is reached)

i just noticed it this week myself. i use the itp c8t (2aa model) ALOT more than i thought i do. when im out and about i use the "smaller" edc lights that are specially in my pockets or belt etc, but at home.. i tend to pick it up instead of others.