Lanyard for Surefire U2

jrpace25

Newly Enlightened
I just took the plunge last week and bought my first Surefire. I am thoroughly impressed with it. My question concerns finding a lanyard that is compatible with it. I have looked on here, Surefire's site, and countless other sites, but nothing really seems to work. I will be using the light in more tactical situations on the water, so I don't want my new light to swim like a rock! I was considering using the Pistol Leash (http://www.surefire.com/PistolLeash) , but I would have to use the spilt ring on pocket clip and it just doesn't seem like that would work well (I could be wrong). I even thought about using lanyard rings from Lighthound between the body and the tailcap, but it doesn't allow the tailcap to screw down far enough to make contact so the light will actually turn on.

I have been looking at the homemade lanyard threads and love them all and might consider one, but because it has to go on my LE belt, I would rather it match my gear.

Just wondering what other U2 owners use. Thanks for a very informative site and my wife thanks you (NOT) because I now have a new hobby! Thanks in advance...

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
You can swap out the tailcap for a different one and gain enough room to put the lanyard ring on.

I forget the right part number at the moment.

iapyx

Enlightened
As the proud owner of two U2's (U2 and a U2A) this is what I use:

My GPS came with a spare lanyard which I am now using for my U2.
To tighten the cord around my wrist, I simply use one of those plastic clambs you usually find in jackets to attach the two cords of the hood.
A knot in the end of the cord/lanyard, prevents losing the plastic clamb.

I'll make a photo of it as soon as I have time tonight.

Spence

Enlightened
I use a neck lanyard on my U2 with a split ring on the pocket clip, it works quite well. I am sold on lanyards because I dread the thought of dropping my $300 SureFire. Actually, I buy all my supplies from Lighthound and fashion my own lanyards. I even learned how to braid and fashion some pretty trick braided lanyards. Paracord is the only way to go, however, I have made lanyards from rawhide cord, too. Your wife can probably teach you the very basic four-strand braiding method and you will need two 13 foot lengths of your favorite colors paracord. For just a basic paracord neck lanyard, order six feet of your favorite paracord, two cord locks (I prefer the two holed locks for ease), one cord ends lock and a swivel hook to attach to the split ring on the flashlight. You won't have more than $3.50 invested and a first class lanyard you'll be proud of to keep your U2 safely around your neck.:poke::wave:

iapyx

Enlightened
Took me a few days more, but here's my U2 lanyard (2nd pic is sharper):

IMG_0483.jpg

IMG_0484.jpg

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
Just like the above pictures a paracord lanyard with a "Larks Head Knot" attached to the clip will work, what's nice about it is no metal split rings to scratch the body. I have also seen people tie the Larks Head on the body with the lanyard coming through the middle of the clip....I think Green LED did his light that way.

U2A01-1.jpg

EDIT: if you want the knot to really stay put on the clip a double Larks Head is better, but it is a little harder to take off (time wise)

http://www.brooxes.com/newsite/Downloads/2LarKnot.pdf

Bill

Last edited:

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not seen a tailcap that allows a lanyard ring on a U2. It must be non SF if it exists.

A U2 lanyard requires some form of using the pocket clip. A split ring/hook combo tends to slide around on the pocket clip and also can scratch the light body.

Braddah_Bill's solution solves these issues and looks good to. You could use a stock SF lanyard or make one yourself. If you use one around the neck, be sure to fit a break away connector at the end.

Mark

jrpace25

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all of the input. I agree with Flash that Braddah's is probably the way to go. Thanks again guys. (Keep 'em comin'....)