Fenix TK11 R2: First impressions, Beamshots *With Pics*

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Edit: Did a runtime test of the General mode and WOW, with a Tenergy 18650 battery it achieved 18+ hours before going moon mode. I tested every 3 hours and it was able to switch to turbo mode, while keeping the same brightness. I was impressed since the stated runtime was 12 hours only. The moon mode was about 20 lumens to my sight. I guess if I had left it there it would do few more hours before going too dim to use.

Since the TK11R2 was released, I've been wondering if to buy it or not, but when I finally decided, it was out of stock my most flashlight dealers. I had to order from amazon with no discount and no free shipping, ebay also sold them, but I wouldn't get any expensive item from there. What I learnt from this is not to wait too long before buying a flashlight, if you want it and need it (not necessarily need it, but you need it), just order it.:D

Today I received this in my mail and couldnt wait to open it. Here are my first impressions:

Pros:
-Looks and feels very strong and well built.
-Anodizing is very good. Thread had HA as well.
-The FW clicky has a very good response. Easy to reach and activate.
-Clean, shiny, smooth reflector.
-Very bright, the hotspot is tigh and intense. The hotspot is actually the brightest single die led light to my eyes.
-Lots of flood, same as bright as the flood of my JETIIIpro, but with a much larger lighting area.

Cons:
-The tint is yellow/greenish. Not noticeable in turbo mode but it does in low mode. This is perhaps I got used to the blueish tint of my JETIIIpro.
-Emitter is a bit uncentered and there is a dark ring around the beam. Not really an issue to me since it is only noticeable when hunting white walls.
-It produces a low hissing when the turbo mode is activated, but as long as this is normal I wouldnt worry.
-Can't tailstand.
-There are gaps between the head and the fins and between the tailcap and the cigar ring.

This is overall a great light. If I compare it with my JETIIIpro, the TK11R2 throw better, has larger flood and maybe a longer runtime according to the numbers. The light is simple and doesnt have extra modes like the jetbeam. A big plus is that it can take 18650 and 2xCR123, to my eyes it is same as bright in both configurations, however with the 18650 the hissing is not that noticeable.

Pics:

p1010109.jpg

In the box: TK11R2, Nylon holster, 2 orings, 1 orange switch rubber, instructions, lanyard, the cigar ring was preinstalled.

p1010112z.jpg

Here is it.

p1010115kbl.jpg

Size comparison, a little bit taller than my JETIIIpro, weight about the same.

p1010120y.jpg

JETIIIpro, TK11R2, Extreme infinity.

p1010121y.jpg

Very compact and easy to operate.

p1010138.jpg

Compatible with the T1 tailcap. The T1 is dead for now but I will mod it with a MC-E.

p1010140z.jpg

The internals.

p1010141s.jpg

My 3 favorite lights.

p1010143e.jpg

The new lanyard is stronger than the previous one, both ends are made of a thicker nylon.

p1010129y.jpg

L: Nirecore extreme MAX R: Fenix TK11R2 Turbo

p1010130d.jpg

Underexposed

p1010133v.jpg

L: JetIIIpro ibs MAX R: Fenix TK11R2 Turbo

p1010135h.jpg

Underexposed

p1010144w.jpg

About 40 meters from my house, my neighbor's fence. Looks brighter than it shows, zoom was used.
L: JetIIIpro ibs MAX R: Fenix TK11R2 Turbo

This is all for now. My multimeter is brok so I cant take readings. If you want any specific picture of the light I can take it no problems!

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like you really like it, ever since I bought mine its been my go to light. For me its way to big for EDC but great for anything bump in the night, its great tactical light. The lanyard is nice huh, I wish fenix would ship one that nice with all their lights.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, I notice that yours has "TK11 Premium R2" script on the head. I got mine a little while back and it doesn't have any distinctive lettering like that. Maybe it was a running change due to the complaints that there was no way to tell the difference between Q5 and R2 models?

Either that or I (and others) got shafted and we actually have Q5 editions! :oops: ;)

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, I notice that yours has "TK11 Premium R2" script on the head. I got mine a little while back and it doesn't have any distinctive lettering like that. Maybe it was a running change due to the complaints that there was no way to tell the difference between Q5 and R2 models?

Either that or I (and others) got shafted and we actually have Q5 editions! :oops: ;)

Go to http://www.fenixlight.com.cn/snen.asp and type in your light's serial number. Mine doesnt show the model but it does say it has a R2 emitter and other info such as color and reflector type.

This is what i get after typing in my serial number:

Serial Number: 1KYYBB00443Model: LED: CREE R2Reflector: 平光Color: 黑色Version of Warranty Card: 英文Sales Region: America AreaSales Country: USA

The chinese letters says smooth reflector, black color and english langauage.

Souljah888

Newly Enlightened
Hey buddy , Nice light you got there mines on the way. Do you mind taking a picture of the back of the box ( the original packaging) and i would like to see a closeup picture of the uncentered emitter.

Thanks in advance.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sweet! Thanks for the serial# look-up page!

Great info!

My light does show to have the R2, so that clears up the doubts people had a while back about whether they were Q5s in disguise! :D

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey buddy , Nice light you got there mines on the way. Do you mind taking a picture of the back of the box ( the original packaging) and i would like to see a closeup picture of the uncentered emitter.

Thanks in advance.

p1010153s.jpg

Back of the box

p1010148s.jpg

It is just a little bit uncentered, about 0.5mm, barely visible.

p1010151l.jpg

You can see it better in the beamshot.

Ninjaz7

Enlightened
I guess a gnat would look "off centered" if a shot was that close...lol...nice pics

Souljah888

Newly Enlightened
Sweet! thanks.
As i thought it wouldn't be to much of a hassle 0.5mm is barely visible.
Seems like another great torch by Fenix.
I'm looking forward to mine. :twothumbs

ypsifly

Enlightened
I've had one for less than two weeks and I really like the throw and construction. The one problem I've had is sometimes it gets stuck in turbo. The problem is mechanical as the top part of the head will turn but the bottom part gets stuck in place with the body. Turns on and off just fine from the tail switch.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had one for less than two weeks and I really like the throw and construction. The one problem I've had is sometimes it gets stuck in turbo. The problem is mechanical as the top part of the head will turn but the bottom part gets stuck in place with the body. Turns on and off just fine from the tail switch.

I'm a bit confused isn't the head the only thing that moves from the body up?

Dole

Newly Enlightened
Whats with the barbed wire on your neighbors fence? Is he tired of you shining flashlights at his house? :devil:

Painful Chafe

Enlightened

Apparently your neighbors are upset with you?
Is that barbed wire?

"Honey, that crazy neighbor, richardcpf, is at it again with those damn lights of his" said Steve.
"Did you make sure to get the barbed wire up today. I just don't feel safe. I mean really, obsessed with flashlights? What's wrong with him? Cant he just get a Corvette like every other guy looking for a hobby?" inquired Susan.

skids625

Newly Enlightened
Hi all : been using my R2 @ work, sheriff's dept, over two months best so far of many lites, love to play with turbo but low so perfect 90% of the time. I love the build quality/feel in hand. [my first "premium" torch!

ypsifly

Enlightened
I'm a bit confused isn't the head the only thing that moves from the body up?

If you look at the pic of the internals, the part that has the silver threads and the positive terminal will unscrew from the bezel. This is how you would access the emitter. The silver part will get stuck to the body and the bezel will rotate leaving it in turbo.

I would take pics but I can't find the usb cable for my camera.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you look at the pic of the internals, the part that has the silver threads and the positive terminal will unscrew from the bezel. This is how you would access the emitter. The silver part will get stuck to the body and the bezel will rotate leaving it in turbo.

I would take pics but I can't find the usb cable for my camera.

Oh ok got it sorry about that I can be a little slow sometimes I was thinking you was talking about something on the outside. So it loosens even after you tighten it down with needlenose or something as tight as you can? Has anyone else reported this problem?

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apparently your neighbors are upset with you?
Is that barbed wire?

In the back of our street there is a small mountain and in the other side of it is inhabited by a lower class people, there have been cases that these people climbed into the houses to steal bikes, tools, etc.

I live in outside america (in Panama) and the things here are pretty different, even though the place I live can be called "high class", safety is pretty bad. My other neiborghs even have electrical fences.