What is the brightest LED light available to UK?

jp7152

Newly Enlightened
And hopefuly somewhere to buy it too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks!

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
You wont get much choice buying from within the UK, there are a growing number of (nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif) retailers that are willing to ship to the UK, see this thread for details.

If you can be more specific about the type of light you're looking for (it's intended use, size, material etc.) we may be able to come up with some suggestions.

Oh and welcome to CPF, your wallet will never be the same again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jp7152

Newly Enlightened
Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm looking for something... Bright! :p

Let's just start with the brightest '_'

Possibly for use as a bikelight also

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
The brightest LED light I know of is the Inretech Mega6, it's actually sold as an adaptor that you fit into a 6D cell Maglite (just screws in, no soldering/engineering skills needed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

The 5watt Luxeon Star is currently the brightest LED available and the Mega6 has six of them !!!

Also take a look at the Helios from the same company, this uses three 5watt Luxeon LEDs (still plenty of light)

The above two lights produce the maximum total light output currently available, if you are looking for good throw (long range illumination) take a look at Mr Bulks Spaceneedle II, a single (overdriven) 5watt LS that has amazing throw.

Hope that helps

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
jp7152 said:
Thanks,

What are the prices of the ones you mentioned?

[/ QUOTE ]

Inretech Mega6 = $325 (£198)
Inretech Helios = $200 (£122)

Mr Bulks SpaceneedleII's normally range from $100 - $125 (£61 - £76) depending on bin code of Luxeon Star LED<font color="red">*</font>

<font color="red">*</font>Note Mr Bulk is one of our very talented modders who builds supercharged LED flashlights in his spare time (he can't have much of it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif), for this reason Spaceneedles are not always available.

<font color="blue">Don't forget, you'll need to add international shipping charges to the prices mentioned above. </font>

jp7152

Newly Enlightened
But you need the maglite torch also?

Anyone you know have one? Or do you?

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
jp7152 said:
But you need the maglite torch also?

Anyone you know have one? Or do you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you will need a Maglite host for the Inretech drop in modules (Fairly easy to come by in the UK), The SpeceneedleIIs are supplied as complete units.

Unfortunately I don't (yet) own any of the above lights, I do however own a few less powerfull 5watt LS based torches that put out an amazing amount of light (I can only imagine how bright a Mega6 or SpaceneedleII is)

jp7152

Newly Enlightened
Got any videos? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My brother has one of these on his bike...I'd love to be able to better it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'm getting tempted! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

How long would the battery life be, roughly?

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pass /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Sorry will have to wait for someone that actually owns/uses the above lights to answer that question.

Try running a search for "HELIOS", "MEGA6" or "SPACENEEDLE" and see what you get, Sure to be a few reviews & user comments here.

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
For long throw the spaceneedle, but for total light output/large area illumination one of the others.

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
jp7152 said:
Eeek,

Are they all sold already?

They must be good!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think freewheelin was refering to this

I was soooooo tempted but just can't see myself walking around with a purple Maglite, I've fallen in love with those pewter ones /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jp7152

Newly Enlightened
Oh, looks very very cool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So that's a brigther center than the ones posted above? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

markus_i

Enlightened
I don't own any of those lights (so the following is pure speculation), but to compete against a HID... the Mega6 might have a comparable total light output, but the Stadium could be better focussed. Burn time of 6*5W in a 6D maggie could be around 10000/(6*750), roughly 2 hours, depending on how they're driven. And I don't think (please, correct me if I'm wrong) that the Mega6 is intended for long-time use under full power, somehow you'll have to get rid of the waste heat (yes, even with LEDs - especially with LEDs!).

But if you want total light output: there's a German electronics store that sells 10*Luxeon linear arrays. Mount one or two of those to each side of the fork, and you'll likely get a very nice area light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Bye
Markus

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Althought the MEGA6 is the brightest, its unfocused output is only usable in very short distances - last purchase was for a spelunker (case explorer)

I think for normal usage, the HELIOS is a better choice and also gives longer run time