Sunlite 8w Utility Head - Review - 350 Lumens/150 deg of Pure Flood!! {For Mechanics}

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
This is a review of the 8w Utility head attachment for the Sunlite body system. This type of flood light is only usable when attached to a Sunlite power supply.

A good comparison would be the most powerful Zebralight available...the H60. I do not have the H60, 190 lumen.......but the 8w Utility surpasses it in terms of brightness, and angle of flood......the Sunlite being 350 lumens and 150 degrees!! See below for some specs and pictures.

Some specs:
Overview

• Rechargeable 8W LED Utility light (2200) includes 2200 mAh Li-ion battery, AC charger.
  • Wide angle flood light.
  • Brightness and light coverage equal to a 13-watt 2-tube Fluorescent Utility light.
  • Light weight, cordless
Features

• Copper substrate to quickly drain the generated heat to the flashlight housing. The thermal conductivity
    of our LED is around 1'C/W. Fins to enhance the heat removal
  • Side magnet
  • Multi position hanger hook rotates 360 degrees
  • Flexible neck
  • Thick glass lens to prevent scratching and yellowing
  • Rubber sleeve for secure grip
  • Dual switches, on/off switch on the side, lockable turbo switch on the back
Specifications

• Brightness - over 300 lumens (Turbo), (350 to be exact!)

• Size - 9.0 inch in height

• Weight - 6.9 o.z. (with battery)

• Power source - 2200/2600mAh Li-ion rechargeable battery

• Charger - AC charger, optional 12 volt car charger

• Run time w/2200mAh - 1.5 hours (Turbo mode), 5 hours (side switch)

• Recharge Time - 3 hours

• Color - black

• Others - Water resistant and shock resistant
j5urea.jpg

208jngp.jpg

The emitter is a single 60mil chip...with a glass dome over the emitter, allowing maximum lumens to be emitted.
6dwmz5.jpg

9zsjl2.jpg

168vh47.jpg

Here is the Sunlite logo...and the mildly aggressive knurling. The flexible neck is surrounded in a stretchy rubber boot to protect it from the elements (sand, dirt, water)
jql65t.jpg

Here is your standard Sunlite universal fitting...allowing you to use many different heads on one single power source.
2mhecmg.jpg

The magnet is the strong Neo magnets we all love to play with. Small, lightweight, and strong!
98zvo3.jpg

119yqo1.jpg

2mzxyqe.jpg

Notice the flexible neck is threaded into the cast finned head. And there appears to be some sort of white thermal compound sealing the connection.
24mz4vo.jpg

25f7h2t.jpg

dma52e.jpg

zuh653.jpg

m9n02w.jpg

1zg6e5e.jpg

10mviuc.jpg

25ssawi.jpg

Notice, the glass dome over the LED does not protrude past the outer surface of the heat fins. This offers protection for the glass and offers the widest possible flood angle.
2rd8eo5.jpg

2gt83li.jpg

Here they all are...for size comparison: 8w Utility, 8wFP, 16wFP
2i7o02x.jpg

8w Utility attached to the 2600mAh power source.
2wqv81u.jpg

Here are some various heads for comparison: The Slim 100 lumen, Utility, 8wFP and 16wFP.
f_DSC0605m_44560a4.jpg

Look at the light angle coming out...: 150 degrees! Perfect for those mechanics working under a car hood. Oh.....did you notice it was also attached to the Slim body?? Nice function of the Sunlite universal head system.:twothumbs
2yv748g.jpg

Beamshots:

Control:
aeuq2g.jpg

8w Utility at 2ft from wall:
fxge9.jpg

Control:
eug8rt.jpg

8w Utility at 6ft from wall:
j8pfzo.jpg

The above pics are with the 'Hook' being used as the main means of securement.

The below pics are focused on the magnet as its means of securement.

167w66g.jpg

You will need a small pair of needle nose pliers to reattach the ring once you have it slid over the body of the flashlight. It is made from hardened spring steel.
2qn870i.jpg

You can let it hang loosely.....
21cuhkj.jpg

2ug15dd.jpg

Or, what I prefer, is to slide the rubber grip up against it so that it is secure.
14ttsap.jpg

eze3w4.jpg

Beamshots hanging from the magnet:

Control:
dpbww1.jpg

1eb687.jpg

op9vg3.jpg

awyulf.jpg

ehhcma.jpg

2609zs8.jpg

Here's some shots through a welding lens:
2irq5bt.jpg

2la7bxt.jpg

2u3wpdv.jpg

301f4ub.jpg

119cbol.jpg

My overall thoughts........This little light can have literally dozens of uses, with many different applications. You can use it when you are trying to install your car audio late at night. Or if you have to change a flat tire along the side of the road and you need both hands. Or if you grab a midnight snack...just stick it to the fridge and grab your food hands-free. Awesome light!! I have left it on high mode for 10-15 minutes, and the head gets very warm, proving the heat sinking is really good. It needs to be, because while working hands free, your hand will not be soaking any of the heat away from the flashlight body.

Pro's: 350 lumens exiting the head...at 150 degree angle. Pure flood....there is no hotspot. The chip is 60mil wide, which is 1.5mmx1.5mm, and is driven at 1.5a. Can have many uses. Will tail stand, hang by the hook, or stick by the magnet.

Con's: The only con I have is with the magnet ring. There is no really quick way to go from 8wFP to 8w Utility w/magnet without breaking out my pliers and separating the magnet from the ring, and then reattaching them on the body. It would be better if I had a dedicated torch body just for the 8w Utility so the magnet can stay on it the entire time, ready for use.

There will be more 'real world' uses coming up......

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Sunlite 8w Utility Head - Review - Pure Flood!!

Very cool now I'm thinking of getting one.....and those pics i will send to you just not side by sides if that's ok.

Alex

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
Test Subject #1: Planting flowers and running drip line.....AFTER DARK!

So there we were...running out of daylight....and my wife would not let me come inside until I had finished hooking up the drip line. "Ah ha! I thought....as I ran inside to grab the 8w Utility head. Off came the 8wFP head, and on went the Utility and magnet.

Now.....where to place the light.........

Well, lookie there....a bird bath with iron stand! Perfect place for the light to hang.
f_DSC0718m_9b90fff.jpg

f_DSC0719m_f0060bf.jpg

My next task....hook up a drip line where there is no metal!! How can I hang the light! Uh oh....looks like I won't finish.
f_DSC0724m_4bcacab.jpg

Hmmmmm.....what if.....

*ding, ding, ding* Let's hang it off of the shovel! Genius!
f_DSC0729m_c70826c.jpg

Before dripline.....
f_DSC0733m_2025125.jpg

f_DSC0734m_691a14c.jpg

And after....
f_DSC0735m_fc8682b.jpg

Thanks to this neat little light, I was able to finish my work and retreat to the house!

jim7777777

Newly Enlightened
Can you use the Utility head on the 16W body? I'm thinking of getting a 16W and this looks like a great accessory...

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Ryan a tip for installing the magnet:unscrew the body from the switch housing and just slide the ring over the end of the body,next you will note either one or two chrome rings inside the switch housing you need two for the contact and your good to go,picture is with the 16WFP head and mag ring installed :twothumbs

002-32.jpg

A closer shot showing the ring sandwiched between the body and switch housing.

003-24.jpg

Last edited:

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
Can you use the Utility head on the 16W body? I'm thinking of getting a 16W and this looks like a great accessory...

Yes, :welcome:Jim!

Your question is in the affirmative. All Sunlite heads are interchangeable with the power sources. That's one think among many which sets them apart from all other flashlight makers.

Here's a couple of examples of the interchangeability.

Long body with Slim head, and Slim body with 16w head:
f_DSC0216m_bab07ef.jpg

Short body with 16w head, and Long body with 8w head:
f_DSC0146m_edd56cc.jpg

Short body with Slim head, and Slim body with 8w head:
f_Eagle8w022m_8bf2a34.jpg

Shoot, if you wanted to, you could even do the Slim body to the Utility head. It looks kind of funny though. :ohgeez:
f_DSC0738m_3fd370d.jpg

f_DSC0736m_054ecec.jpg

It's all because the heads have the same universal Sunlite head connection.
f_DSC0605m_44560a4.jpg

Last edited:

jim7777777

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the welcome guys! I've had a bit more of a poke around the sunlite website and their system looks awesme. The only problem now is working out which lights to buy as I could very easily send myself broke...

Kid <--> Candy store.