Which High Power SF?

draftaman

Newly Enlightened
If you were going to buy only one of the high power(or at least trying to limit yourself to only one;)) surefire, which would it be? M4, M6, 10X?
Weighing runtime,brightness and cool factor, Right now I'm leaning towards an M4. What do you all think?

Size15's

Flashaholic
If I could have only one then it would be the 10X.

The M4 can't keep up with the power of the M6's beam for very long. I currently have six four SF123A SureFires made up. There is a big difference in beam whiteness between the battery sets.

I pick the 10X because it's high beam output is a wall of light that impresses me more so because I can recharge it rather than use another six SF123As.

I've gone back to the N62 in my M4 because I really need that "high" of it running on fresh SF123As for a few minutes!

Al

McGizmo

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
..........I really need that "high" of it running on fresh SF123As for a few minutes!

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Al what you (we) need is regulated highpower! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

- Don

Sproing

Newly Enlightened
Is the beam of the M4 with N62 similar to the beam of the M6 with MN21? Does one have a rounder beam or throw further than the other?

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both the N62 and MN21 are very round. I have seen a few slightly oval MN21 beams though. The N62 is a bit tighter than the MN21. All things being equal I like the N62 better. But since the N62 will only run brightly for a few minutes compared to the MN21, I would choose the M6.

I like the M6 the best, winning slightly over the 10X because of the M6's coolness factor and greater water resistance. But if you plan on using this a lot, get the 10X so you don't have to buy batteries. Plus the 10X has low beam output.

I like the M4 too, but the beam is just too oval, the MN60 is very oval and begins to yellow much sooner than the M6 w/MN20. Even though they are both rated for 1 hour runtime on a set of SF123's.

paulr

Flashaholic
For sheer coolness factor, nothing comes within a mile of the M6 HOLA.

For something to actually use more than once in a while, I'd have to say the 10x. Even with $1.25 SF123's the M6 is ridiculously expensive to operate.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I wouldn't say ridiculously expensive because that depends on how much you can spend on SF123As and what you use it for.

I usually pick one of my M6's over the 10X unless I know I'm gonna need the 10X features.

Al

draftaman

Newly Enlightened
It would be nice if surefire would make a dual power system.
A high power rechargable that also opperates on lithiums.
I suppose that I'll use the light a lot more if it is a rechargable(read cheaper to feed) and an M6 just wouldn't get used as much @ 7.50 per 20 min(with MN21 lamp)(37.50 an hour whew!)
Maybe I should just get both /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
draftaman,

If and when SF goes regulated on the high powered guys, rechargeable as well as lithium will be doable. The voltage to the LA will be regulated so the Vin will be capable of variation.........

- Don

draftaman

Newly Enlightened
Absolutely! there's another thing I'd like to see is regulation across the board. Surefire has a good start with the A2.
It gives me a little sick feeling when I look at the discharge curve of some of these 2 cell lithium/xenon lights.Makes me want to carry spare batterys with me every where just in case. I suffer from DFP.(dead flashlight paranoia)
I think this must stem from a shocking/tragic event that happened earlier this year.
//start long winded story//
I had just arrived at a friends house and stepped out of the truck to meet a very large dog who, in the failing light
did'nt appear to be chained and was barking and growling telling me that he didnt appreciate me being on his street. Well, I did what any flashahollic would do. I reached in my jacket for the scorpion and proceded to quick draw and blast him untill I could get to the house. Well, as it turns out, he was chained and I felt better about the situation and lowered my scorp to light my path to the house. As I was slipping between two cars in the gravel driveway all at once my light died, and my left foot landed in something that clearly wasnt gravel (read squish). I thought surely not, but had to get inside to find out. Sure enought, I had done what I thought I had (if that makes any sense). I stepped right in the biggest pile of....well you get the Idea and had to spend an hour the next day cleaning my shoe. (Incase you didnt know doggie poo sticks like epoxy after it dries)
Ever since then I've always kept a mental record of how much time I've got left on a set of batterys(DFP) for fear of stepping in it.....again.
//end long winded story//

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Al,

Sorry to hear that but you would be the one to know; dang.

Draftaman,

In some ways the regulated light might not help you in avoiding stepping in the poo. Unless the regulation scheme was like the A2 where there is some "warning Will Robinson" time at the end of regulation and prior to full "no go".

- Don

Shark

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
Al,

Sorry to hear that but you would be the one to know; dang.

Draftaman,

In some ways the regulated light might not help you in avoiding stepping in the poo. Unless the regulation scheme was like the A2 where there is some "warning Will Robinson" time at the end of regulation and prior to full "no go".

- Don

[/ QUOTE ]
Good point at least with the A2 your just shifting to low beam that would really suck to go from full light output to no output just when you were tip toeing through the goose do do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

draftaman

Newly Enlightened
Maybe this subject is intitled to its own "best light for avoiding stepping in it " thread. Or maybe "best light for traversing the cow field." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bwcaw

Enlightened
Get the M6! You won't complain about the battery cost once you have one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Blikbok

Enlightened
The ability to alternate between Lithium and Lithium Ion is why I'm all over the 3 cell Surefires, and waiting for the Pila cells. If the rechargeables run down, I can swap for 123s.