MCE2s with Surefire 6PD....help a brotha out...

Geseppe

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a Surefire 6PD and a MCE2s from the Sandwich Shoppe for the two level tailcap. After taking apart my tailcap, I realized it won't work. I''ve been told I need the Z41 Twisty?
It's going on a gun? So how will the tailcap work... push slightly for momentary on with low lumens and twist for Full Lumens? or can I click it all the way to get the full lumens like the tailcap I have now?? I'm a little confused? Thanks

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
McE2S switch is for the E-series tailcaps. You needed to order a McC2S, but The Shoppe is sold out.

Yes, you need a Z41 twistie. There is no "click" for constant-on. It's a twistie.

Operation is the same for both switches: light press to get momentary-on low, press all the way through for momentary-on high. Or screw down the tailcap to get constant-on low initially. Screw down farther to get constant-on high.

Last edited:

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a little confusing (and not documented all that well for those not familiar with the terminology), but McE2S = McGizmo E-Series 2-stage.

As Justin said, the 6PD requires a McC2S (C = C-Series, the 6PD uses C-series tailcaps), which only works in the momentary, twisty tailcaps (like the Z41) and is no longer available from the Shoppe at the patent holder's request.

So how will the tailcap work... push slightly for momentary on with low lumens and twist for Full Lumens? or can I click it all the way to get the full lumens like the tailcap I have now?? I'm a little confused?
The McE2S and McC2S use a resistor to limit the current on low (slight press/twist) and, yes, you get full power with a full press/twist. These switches are only designed for the twisty tailcaps, so there's no click-on like the stock 6PD tailcap.

Last edited:

Geseppe

Newly Enlightened
I apologize, I'm not familiar with the terminology yet.... what I actually have is a McC2S, I luckily got the last one if I can get it to work??? So if I buy the Z41 and install this sucker,,,, my problems will be solved....correct? What will the 60 ohm resister give me as far as lumens go? Thanks

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pasted from the sales thread where I sold mine, which had a 60 ohm resistor like yours.

"Current draw from both 2x17500 and 2xR123 with different output drop-ins was measured at ~80mA, and ~50mA with 2xCR123A.
An excellent low mode, IMO."
I have no way of estimating the actual lumens output.

Geseppe

Newly Enlightened
wow....thats like reading a new language....I understood the 123's and thats about it.....In other words....It'll give me a nice low mode......nice...

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
And that's for LED heads/drop-ins. The low mode of the McE2S and McC2S doesn't work with the stock, incandescent lamps.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can estimate the lumens by the following:

The current draw from the batteries is given by batt voltage/McC2S resistor value.

For 2xSF123A at a nominal 5.5V under the light load and a 60 ohm resistor, you get 5.5V/60 ohms = 90ma. If we assume that the 6PD uses a buck driver, it is probably going to run in direct drive at this low drive current. If we also assume that the driver passes 100% of the current to the LED, then the LED drive current is also 90ma.

Now, you need to know what LED you have and what luminosity bin it is. Then you look up the lumens for the 90ma drive current.

Latest posts