Nitecore D10, which LED?

TA_ls1

Enlightened
I am looking at getting a D10, and I am wondering whether you guys prefer the Cree Q5, R2, or GDP LEDs. From beamshots I've seen, I really like the flood from the GDP, but should I consider the R2 instead? It is brighter, but are the rings noticeable? It seems like a good decision either way. What do you have?

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
R2 latest and brightest (by a slight margin) of the 3 .
Q5 phasing out, smoother than R2 and warmer (by a slight margin).
GDP smoother than R2 and Q5 but has purple tinge, especially on low.
Above in accordance to the 3 I've owned. Might not apply to every production.

donald2036

Newly Enlightened
I am looking at getting a D10, and I am wondering whether you guys prefer the Cree Q5, R2, or GDP LEDs. From beamshots I've seen, I really like the flood from the GDP, but should I consider the R2 instead? It is brighter, but are the rings noticeable? It seems like a good decision either way. What do you have?

I've got an EX10 GDP, and I personnally recommend it over cree verson. Since my usage is mainly ranged at 1-10m, the soft and slightly larger hot spot of GDP is much more comfortable to my eyes and seeing a larger area. The Cree is too focus, and makes the spills less usable, because the very focus hotspot shrinks your pupil.

For long range (>10m), I would use my Fenix TK11 instead. I guess the small reflector of D10 wasn't too good in throwing anyway. :ohgeez:

Last edited:

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
R2 latest and brightest (by a slight margin) of the 3 .
Q5 phasing out, smoother than R2 and warmer (by a slight margin).
GDP smoother than R2 and Q5 but has purple tinge, especially on low.
Above in accordance to the 3 I've owned. Might not apply to every production.

Depends on whether you want bad tint (GDP) or bad beam quality (Q5, R2).

I had a GDP that I had to return because the beam spill was lavender. I have a Q5 with awful cree rings. The light itself is fantastic, just the reflector isn't very good. Certainly nothing light the great reflectors LightFlux uses in their lights. The ease of use and simplicity of the D10 is great though, and it is still my most used light. (Usually with a diffuser cap on it.)

donald2036

Newly Enlightened

I had a GDP that I had to return because the beam spill was lavender. I have a Q5 with awful cree rings. The light itself is fantastic, just the reflector isn't very good. Certainly nothing light the great reflectors LightFlux uses in their lights. The ease of use and simplicity of the D10 is great though, and it is still my most used light. (Usually with a diffuser cap on it.)

Depends on your usage, if you are mainly lighting something close say 1-5m, I don't think the bluish tint will bother too much. On the other hand, I like bluish tint for closeup lighting, the GDP looks exactly like fluorescent lamp color, without an ugly yellowish or greenish tone.

For long range, definiately the warm tint wins by throwing longer, and adding contrast.

Last edited:

TA_ls1

Enlightened
Yeah, I have looked into the LF3XT as well, but I like how the D10 takes AA batteries vs CR123s. Also, I am waiting on a Ra 170 Clicky as my single CR123 light EDC.

erlon

Newly Enlightened
The GDP version is not available.

I tried to buy one in ebay and 4seven without success.

donald2036

Newly Enlightened
The GDP version is not available.

I tried to buy one in ebay and 4seven without success.

It's really a pity if the GDP version is to be discontinued. I just think the GDP has always been underrated.

And that cree has always been overrated with it's focus hotspot and beamshot photos. In reality usage, I think a smooth beam is more important than how much more lumens it generates.

Marduke

Flashaholic
It's really a pity if the GDP version is to be discontinued.

Couple months too late. It already is discontinued.

The lower efficiency and poor tint was probably the nail in the coffin.

As far as the Cree versions go, a little LDF cleans the beam right up.

donald2036

Newly Enlightened
BTW, I would be keen to see a XP-E on EX/D10, I think it would really shine on that small reflector. :twothumbs

chaoss

Enlightened
Yeah, I have looked into the LF3XT as well, but I like how the D10 takes AA batteries vs CR123s. Also, I am waiting on a Ra 170 Clicky as my single CR123 light EDC.

I think that LiteFlux will be releasing a AA tube (do a search?) w/clip for the LF3XT soon if that helps with your decision. This really is a nice light and the tint/beam is very similar to my Ra Twisty & Novatac, floody and ring free.

ETA: It looks like the AA tube is scheduled for release at the end of this month.

Last edited:

donald2036

Newly Enlightened
I think that LiteFlux will be releasing a AA tube (do a search?) w/clip for the LF3XT soon if that helps with your decision. This really is a nice light and the tint/beam is very similar to my Ra Twisty & Novatac, floody and ring free.

ETA: It looks like the AA tube is scheduled for release at the end of this month.

That sounds nice. BTW, is that an optional AA tube for the existing LF3XT or a brand new torch to be run by AA?

You know my EX10 has just blown up in my pocket without any reason when I was having my lunch, the battery inside was completely destruct, with hot brown liquid and smokes spilled all around. I'm still in a negotiation of a claim with NC, so I can't disclose any details at the moment. That is absolutely terrifying, and I swear to god I will never use CR123 torch as my EDC no more. Guess LF3XT will be a good alternative if it runs AA. :crazy:

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

Couple months too late. It already is discontinued.

The lower efficiency and poor tint was probably the nail in the coffin.

As far as the Cree versions go, a little LDF cleans the beam right up.
I've had two GDP's and really liked my first one, but my second one is going to hard to ever part with! My first Q5 D10 went down the road when I got my GDP, which is now gone after receiving my second one. I love it's golden center spot and the purplish flood doesn't seem to bother me at all, and I'm one who doesn't really care for purple led's.

Still better yet, get a Q5 or R2 and put a Q3 5A in it. That is my absolute favorite, hands down!

TA_ls1

Enlightened
So it seems like the best decision would be to get the lf3xt and then the aa tube when it comes out, instead of the d10. Or, is liteflux going to make a separate light for aa as well?

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast

That sounds nice. BTW, is that an optional AA tube for the existing LF3XT or a brand new torch to be run by AA?

....Guess LF3XT will be a good alternative if it runs AA. :crazy:

So it seems like the best decision would be to get the lf3xt and then the aa tube when it comes out, instead of the d10. Or, is liteflux going to make a separate light for aa as well?

Hope you guys are aware it's 2AA, not AA tube.

mighty82

Enlightened
They already did, and a lot of people have it. Haven't anybody heard about the LF5XT here? The LF3XT's AA brother? If you like the LF3XT but you want to use AA, that's a really obvious choice.

Last edited:

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast

You know my EX10 has just blown up in my pocket without any reason when I was having my lunch, the battery inside was completely destruct, with hot brown liquid and smokes spilled all around. I'm still in a negotiation of a claim with NC, so I can't disclose any details at the moment. That is absolutely terrifying, and I swear to god I will never use CR123 torch as my EDC no more. Guess LF3XT will be a good alternative if it runs AA. :crazy:

Was you using a primary or a rechargable? I am glad I have a holster to carry my EX10 in.