Malkoff maglite switch problem

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a malkoff LED dropin (the SSC P4 type) in an older 3D maglite. Recently, I have noticed that the output of the light gets slightly higher every few times I turn the light on, right at the point when the switch "clicks" (when I only partially press the switch it is a lower brightness, but when the switch fully engages it gets noticeably brighter).
This is not consistent, and only happens every few times I turn the light on. It seems to me like I am losing brightness to the switch due to resistance somewhere, but I thought this was only a problem on higher amperage unregulated incandescent maglite mods.
Obviously something is wrong, since this should not be happening. Is there any way I can fix the switch (or reduce the resistance), or should I just buy a replacement switch?

Marduke

Flashaholic
Obviously something is wrong, since this should not be happening. Is there any way I can fix the switch (or reduce the resistance), or should I just buy a replacement switch?

I think you have your answer already

I have a malkoff LED dropin (the SSC P4 type) in an older 3D maglite.

There ya go...

Quote:

This is a Drop-In Module for the Maglite® 2-3 D Size Flashlight. The Light Must Have a "D" as the First Character of the Serial Number for a Proper Fit.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
By older I didn't mean the old style without the D in the serial number (I probably should have been clearer), I just meant that it is a number of years old, so there is probably some wear.
I suppose I will just get another switch then, if there is no hope for this one.
It does seem sort of odd to me that the light becomes momentarily brighter, not dimmer. How is this possible? Wouldn't part of the switch have to be making momentary contact and forming a circuit with less resistance?

Norm

Retired Administrator
It is possible to disassemble and clean the switch contacts.
Norm

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought the maglite switches were "self cleaning"?

There is a limit to what the action of any switch will do to clean itself. Oxidation is one problem. The build up of dirt and crud is just another.

Removing the switch from a D or C Mag is simple and only requires an Allen wrench. You can disassemble the switch fairly easily as well. As with any device with a number of parts just be sure to do it on a clean and well lit surface. Old newspapers or paper towels will help to keep all the parts together.

Often you can clean them by just setting them on clean paper towels or shop rags and spraying them liberally with a quality electrical contact cleaner. Just allow them to dry thoroughly before putting them back in the light. I prefer to clean all the switch contacts and then use DeOxIt Gold to prevent the oxidation from returning. Allow that to fully dry too before you reassemble the light. It works great for me anyway. For serious build ups I use swabs and alcohol and/or an emery board and then the DeOxIt.

This should be done as preventive maintenance every 6 months to 1 year depending on how heavily you use the light. And just because it has been sitting around unused does not mean the light can skip needed maintenance. Oxidation will still occur under any circumstances and lubes and greases need to be cleaned out and replaced due to age as well.

The entire flashlight should be taken apart as much as possible and all electrical contacts and moving parts should be examined, cleaned, and maintained as necessary on a regular basis.

Mjolnir's specific problem could well be due to the switch but could also be the result of several other causes, including oxidation on the contacts for the drop in, where the drop in contacts the body of the light, the battery contacts, the spring in the tail cap and where that contacts the tail cap itself, etc. It only takes a tiny spot to induce those symptoms. Even a dented battery terminal could do the same thing. Momentary and/or intermittent glitches are the ones that will drive you nuts.

My bet is still on the switch contacts but those are other things to look at if that isn't the culprit.

exodus125

Enlightened
had a similar thing happen in a 2d mag with a malkoff. The maglite was a couple of months old. for a sec when you pressed it on it got real bright, then it dimmed a bit. It also did it only sometimes.

Agent WD-40

Newly Enlightened
I have a 3D Mag with the P4 Malkoff and I have noticed the same thing. The flashlight is only a few months old and the Malkoff is a few weeks old. Let us know what fixes it.