Can someone explain the different Solarforce tail switches?

adept1

Newly Enlightened
On Solarforcestore.com there's several (4) different tailswitches, but not really any good descriptions of them.

Can anybody help?

jake25

Enlightened
L2-S1 This is the stock tailcap, reverse click.

The L2-S3 which is forward click. Means that if you lightly press on tailcap, before you click the switch, light will come on. Sort of like a Maglite.

The L2-S4 is like the S3 except with the cigar style grip ring. Forward click as well.

Those are the 3 I know of off the top of my head

adept1

Newly Enlightened
Thanks... that solves all the mysteries!

What happens when the AI (forward clicky) switch is used with 5-mode drop-ins that already have a strobe mode?

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
KD sells a tailcap termed LS-S2,

it is a combination forward/reverse clickie with a body and appearance similar to the S1

sygyzy

Enlightened
I received the AI switch today. Can someone tell me what the extra "lock" ring is for? I also noticed that on my 1 cell Solarforce body, when I screw the switch all the way in, it activates the light on a very low mode. This is without pressing anything. Thoughts?

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the forward clickies... I believe there is one with a flush button and another with a protruding button. I have the one with the protruding button and its very soft AND silent in operation. Is this one that has been described already?

SnakeEyes20

Newly Enlightened
is there a tailcap switch made for the e2dl that can give the flashlight a strobe feature? if so would i be able to keep the 2 state output (5/120), also are there any individiuals/websites taht might make customized tail switches that would incorporate the features aforementioned? thanks for the info

LightJaguar

Enlightened
I have been communicating with Raymond from solarforcestore.com and he told me that the stock switch L2-S1 may not be sold by them anymore. I placed an order and sent me the S2 in all of my flashlights. He also mentioned that the S2 is supposed to be of better quality.
I'm not sure if I like the S2 and seem to be having a problem with of them which I'm currently troubleshooting. Anyone else hear anything about this?

jake25

Enlightened
Hi Winx, that tailcap is not part of the Solarforce lineup and is not found on http://www.solarforce.hk The L2-S2 is a discontinued tailcap, not what you linked.

I'm not sure what to say about the KD link because Solarforce does not have a 3 Mode dropin (Yet :grin2:) especially modes "Low/High/Strobe "

The newer L2-S3 can tailstand and is forward click

The L2-S4 can somewhat tailstand and is forward click

Both of the switches are pretty soft to the touch, expect these to be changed to a more firm switch that feels better. Also expect the L2-S4 and S3 to be more sturdy when tailstanding.

Edit: As a side note I've gotten a few (five) previous customers of Solarforce Store with the "L2-S2" tailcap which failed after very little use, I've had to foot the bill on replacing the tailcaps since I do not want people/customers to believe that this is a "genuine" part from Solarforce and that this "genuine" part is of such low quality.

Last edited:

LightJaguar

Enlightened
I believe this new(?) L2-S2 let your light tailstand. I ordered one and hope it is just like the one in the picture.

Check the pictures at KD.

Thats the one that got sent with my order. The L2-S2 appears to be a solarforce product since the machining and patterns match the Solarforce L2. Also it looks just like the L2-S1 switch except that the tail switch does not stick out. I believe that the guts of the switch are the same. I have misplaced my L2-S1 switch so I cant compare them side by side.
Maybe its an unbranded Spiderfire product or another company is making them to match the Solarforce L2?

jake25

Enlightened
633820061871615000.png

From this picture its pretty obvious the knurling is not the same. Not a genuine Solarforce part.

Mikey V

Newly Enlightened
633820061871615000.png

From this picture its pretty obvious the knurling is not the same. Not a genuine Solarforce part.

No, this is the new switch Solarforce is shipping from HK. I ordered two lights and two tubes, received this week and they all had that L2-S2 switch. They are reverse click. They will allow tailstanding. Forget the knurling as the latest L2's have different knurling. It is finer and shallower and it matches the new tailcaps. They seem to have changed the main tubes as well. The new caps fit the old models just fine, but I have had difficulty with some older L2-S1 switches and all the L2-S4 types going on the newest Solarforce bodies. The Fenix forward clickie is a straight swap. Drops in with no modification needed.