Fenix T1 Circuit Info?

krazy89

Enlightened
hey... anyone out there know if the circuit in the Fenix T1 can be run at full power with 1 18650?

was thinking of boring the body out to fit a 18650...

KraZy

krazy89

Enlightened
hmm... i not totally convinced they have the same circuit...

i guess the only way to tell is to actually take a 18650 in there... and finish the circuit with a paper clip...

KraZy

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmm... i not totally convinced they have the same circuit...

i guess the only way to tell is to actually take a 18650 in there... and finish the circuit with a paper clip...

KraZy

That is not only not the "only" way but not even close to the best.

Run the T1 with a variable DC powersupply while the output is monitored by some type of light meter. As you raise the voltge from 3V to 6V in small gradual steps you could see if the light output changes of any significance in the range of an 18650 battery, specifically in the 3.7 to 4.2V range, then up to 5.5V. If the output changes from 5.5 down to 4.2V, you already know its not well suited for an 18650 type battery right there. If it drops further from 4.2 to 3.7 that makes it really useless for an 18650 type battery. That would be the best way.

However my testing with an AEMC CA813 Luxmeter and a couple 17670 batteries (1 at a time) versus various state of charge SureFire CR123s tells me its not all that good. Its not so much that the output dropped in intensity as much as that its all ready flickering giving me that dreaded low battery warning indication with fresh 17670's that have only been on a minute or less. That flickering is really annoying. So you would be wasting your time and money to bore out that light. The T1 was not meant to work at that low of a voltage range.

krazy89

Enlightened
hey MrGman... haha... i know it's not the best... but i don't really have a DC power supply that has variable output... nor do i have a light meter...

but thanks for your testing and findings... i suspected that that would be the case... i was pretty sure that it's probably a buck circuit with an operating range between 5.5 and 8.4

but yeah.. thanks for saving me some $$$

KraZy

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since I just happened to have the brandy spanking new light meter I had bought and just received last night and was playing with it to measure lux at 1 meter and try to measured lumens in a home made sphere, it was an easy thing to do to change the battery and look at the output. However it all became a moot point when the flickering told me its at the low battery warning level already. I put those batteries back on the charger and it said they were done in under 2 minutes so they were not discharged, they were full (mostly because they were just sitting in a bag unused). I would say go with 2 AW RCR123's. The run time is shorter but they are more reliable then most and just carry extra's. That's what I have tried recently and found mostly acceptable. G.

Just for extra freebie I measured the lux at 1 meter with standard CR123's and with freshly charged AW RCR123s and there was no increase in output. Lux was 6.0K. Meter calibration needs to be checked against wbp's calibrated reference equipment but for relative measurements its working great.

krazy89

Enlightened
hey MrGman...

yeah... i've been wanting to get a light meter... just haven't pulled the trigger on it... which i really should...

but my T1 was my best thrower until yesterday when i got my Raidfire Spear in the mail... and that's kinda why i wanted to make the T1 a 18650 also... so i can consolidate my throwers to 1 kind of cell...

but i got a few AW 123's too... but they are mainly for my single cell lights...

My T1's gonna probably end up on B/S/T very soon...

KraZy

Nos

Enlightened
T1 circuit is 5,5V (low voltage warning) up to 16V (tested at torroure tests)

krazy89

Enlightened
T1 circuit is 5,5V (low voltage warning) up to 16V (tested at torroure tests)
hey Nos... yeah... i figured the min is 5.5v.... don't know why a 2 cell circuit will have a 16v max tho....

KraZy