DBS MC-E Beamshots with 'Hole' & Pill Fit Issue with PICTURES

Centropolis

Enlightened
I received a DBS V3 MC-E today and for some reason, there is a gap between my battery tube and the head. I unscrew the head and the reflector and find that it seems the MC-E pill cannot be screwed into the reflector properly. It seems that the pills sits a bit high and therefore creating a gap between my body tube and the head. If I unscrew the bezel a couple of turns, I can then screw in the battery tube and the head completely but then the gap is now between the head and bezel.

Does anyone have this problem? Is this normal?

UPDATE: Just went outside to test the beam, at a distance, the X in the middle is quite noticeable on it. I am wondering if this is also because of the emitter no situated properly into the reflector enough.

Last edited:

Centropolis

Enlightened
Re: DBS MC-E Pill Fit Issue

I figured it'll be better if I show a couple of pictures to describe what I am talking about.

On the left is the MC-E. Note the gap between the battery tube and the head.

As you can see, the pill is way higher on the MC-E than the R2 even though both are screwed in all the way.

The following 3 pictures show the hole. I am about 5 meters away from the wall. I underexposed each pictures to show the hole more clearly. The 3rd picture shows more to what I am seeing in real life in terms of the hole being that visible.

Last edited:

Stumpy

Newly Enlightened
Re: DBS MC-E Pill Fit Issue with PICS

My MC-E and R 2 have about the same amount of gap. Do you have the reflector for the MC-E ? The X on mine is barely visible and only if I'm close to a wall.

Centropolis

Enlightened

My MC-E and R 2 have about the same amount of gap. Do you have the reflector for the MC-E ? The X on mine is barely visible and only if I'm close to a wall.

I bought it used so as far as I know, the reflector that is installed with the MC-E now is supposed to be the reflector for it.

No, on my beam, it's a true donut with a hole in the middle at a distance.

I have no idea.

Stumpy

Newly Enlightened

I just did a little measuring with my calipers and I have less than a mm difference between the two with both the reflector and pill assembled. That is with the SMO reflector with the R 2 and the OP reflector with the MC-E

Centropolis

Enlightened

I just did a little measuring with my calipers and I have less than a mm difference between the two with both the reflector and pill assembled. That is with the SMO reflector with the R 2 and the OP reflector with the MC-E

I guess there is a fit issue with my pill. Just added pictures of my beam.

Dole

Newly Enlightened

First of all, it looks like the way the pill fits into the reflector is the same as mine, (with about 4 threads sticking out) ...but my entire DBS assembles completely. So we can rule out the pill not being screwed in far enough.

and you can screw the bezel/reflector assembly into the head to make a tight fit, so that means the reflector is screwed in far enough.

Your battery tube will seat itself firmly against the head (by themselves) so there's no limiting factor there.

I'm thinking it has to do with the length of the batteries/battery completely compressing the springs.

Have you tried assembling it without a battery? What batteries are you using?

Dole

Newly Enlightened

Also, I have a donut hole too visible up to about 10 feet or so... less noticeable outside... I'm pretty sure this is normal...

Dole

Newly Enlightened

Also, the pill has a smaller diameter than the head at it's smallest point and the battery tube at it's smallest point. So basically your flashlight should be able to completely assemble even if your pill was sticking out an extra inch or even longer... (without batteries of course)

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast

centropolis did you measure the length of both pills?

yuo see dereelight has to lengths of and the longet one hoses the 3SM boards taht are higher than norm....

Centropolis

Enlightened

First of all, it looks like the way the pill fits into the reflector is the same as mine, (with about 4 threads sticking out) ...but my entire DBS assembles completely. So we can rule out the pill not being screwed in far enough.

and you can screw the bezel/reflector assembly into the head to make a tight fit, so that means the reflector is screwed in far enough.

Your battery tube will seat itself firmly against the head (by themselves) so there's no limiting factor there.

I'm thinking it has to do with the length of the batteries/battery completely compressing the springs.

Have you tried assembling it without a battery? What batteries are you using?

The pictures I took where without batteries. I know the limiting factor is the height of the pill & head assembly because after I try tightening the body with the head, and I unscrew the head, the pill is actually 'stuck' on the body instead of the reflector. That tells me that it is pushing against each other.

I guess I can kind of live with the little mm gap. It should compremise the waterproof abilities under normal conditions.

But the big hole in the middle is more concerning to me now. I do understand that because it is a multi-die LED, it would have a faint cross/hole in the middle. But mine is not that faint....it's quite prominent even outdoors. I can cope with the faint hole when I am close to the wall (like within 2 meters). But when I am outside, I can see there is this noticeable dark hole in the middle of the beam. Some people said on their it is there but not really noticeable. Mine is quite noticeable.

I will try and take a few outdoors shots tonight.

Dole

Newly Enlightened

The pictures I took where without batteries. I know the limiting factor is the height of the pill & head assembly because after I try tightening the body with the head, and I unscrew the head, the pill is actually 'stuck' on the body instead of the reflector. That tells me that it is pushing against each other.

That's weird, my pill is skinny enough to fit through the body of the head and battery tube... There's no way my pill could get stuck to either...