First Project idea (KL5 mod), need lots of guidance

ionizedsky

Enlightened
Well I have been lurking around in the dark so to speak through CPF lovecpf for a while now and I have found a starter project to do. Well Probably not so much a starters project but none the less the first project I would like to take on. :thinking:

I have a Surefire KL5 that I would like to mod with a P7 to use on a 2x or 3x rcr123 body. I am looking for a good mixture of throw and flood. Should I just modify the Reflector or is there something I can install in place??

The next question I have is what do I need to do to disassemble this head?

What parts will I need to install with the P7 to work with either a 2x or 3x rcr123 setup? No need for multiple moods just full power is all I need?

Thanks in Advance to all the awesome members here!

roadie

Enlightened
i not sure it can be done as simple as swapping out the led ... then disconnect the original circuit to connect directly, and by jus using a 17670 instead.

thus direct drive ..... :D

i nvr tried that before, but sounds ok to me.

more indepth proceeders got to ask the pros .....

:whistle:

i heard that to take apart the bezel, is the hardest part. so plan before really doing it ....

thegeek

Enlightened
I would use an MC-E wired 2s2p. That way you can keep your original circuit, barely have to do anything to the reflector, and still get a huge increase in performance. You will probably have a mild donut in the beam (at least I did), but most KL5's have that anyway. If you decide to go this route you will need a small spacer to lift the MC-E up a bit, and will have to take a little ridge off the bottom of the reflector (this part I did, but you might be able to get away without it).

To disassemble the head just put it in a ziploc freezer bag and boil it for a few minutes, then grab the majority of the head in one hand, and the neck that attaches to the flashlight body in the other hand, twist, and pray it comes apart. After that you just need a small screwdriver and a soldering iron for the LED.

ionizedsky

Enlightened
Roadie: kind of figured that I would have to do more work than just a simple LED swap. I am not scared:nana: What is the benefit of direct drive? <---Sorry I know this is probably a huge amateur question that I should probably know already..

THEGEEEK: Sounds like a pretty easy thing to do. What do you mean by 2S2P?

thegeek

Enlightened
THEGEEEK: Sounds like a pretty easy thing to do. What do you mean by 2S2P?

An MC-E emitter has 4 dies that you can wire however you wish. By 2s2p I mean wire the dies so that there are 2 sets of 2 parallel wired dies wired in series. In words it sounds horrible confusing, but there are some pictures floating around that will help you out. I'll see if I can dig up one for you.

The LuxV led that the KL5 normally has is a 4 die led that is wired 2s2p internally. So by wiring the MC-E the same way, you can retain the original circuit without any trouble.

Edit: here is a thread for an MC-E in the KL4, the wiring would be similar: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/210173

Last edited:

roadie

Enlightened
direct drive, having all the 'emitter' wire in parallel.

no need a circuit board.(less one part to fail, due to heat)

may over power where a newly charged Lion is usually at 4.2v thus brighter but shortner the lifespan??

if i not wrong, a MCE is ideally driven at 3.2 to 3.5 volts.

dun listen to me, i havent mod any of this .... :poke: