Need a new light - Please help me out

poorfatkid

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a new light. I have +-$250 to spend and would like the best light for my money. I need a light that can use rechargeable batteries and has a high output with a run time of at least 1 hour on high.

I have no experience with LED's but would consider one if they have the output and throw that I need.

Thank you for your help.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
that is a great budget.. i can only dream of such :)

little more clarification needed thou..

what will you do with it?
what do you need it to do?
will it be EveryDayCarry light that must fit into your pocket?

how do you want to carry it by:: pocket clip,lanyard or holster?

batterystyle: AA, cr123 or 18650 li-ion -these are all available as rechargables. (18650 is specialized battery, size of two cr123s it is 18mm thick and 65mm long)

size hopes: lenght, thickness, weight?
length determine alot of the battery type and flashlight options.

1 cell or 2 cell light?

most 18650 and 2*cr123 battery flashlights are over 110mm long.
cr123s are in range of 75mm-95mm (for one cell)
AA lights are in range of 85-110mm

do you want to have multimode or simple to use flashlight?
do you want to be able to program it or adjust it to your needs?
do you need strobe or other blink-modes?
do you need flood or throwy beam?
any hope for tint color? warmer ones are rare but they are closer to incan light color tint. most leds are still bright white colored.

what kind of light you have now?
what do you like in it and what do you hate?

these are just some things you should ask yourself before buying one, and those suggesting a light for someone should also ask from you :)

poorfatkid

Newly Enlightened
NonSenCe - Thanks for the reply. I see I left everyone in the dark with my questions. :laughing: OK that was lame.

I only have limited experience with Surefire's and Maglight's. I am very happy with the surefire lights that I have but I hate buying the batteries.

I bought a Surefire 9AN with a turbo head but it didn't do it for me. I am disappointed with the run time and the output of the light. This is the light that I would like to replace.

This will not be an EDC for me and size is not a big concern. I need a light that will work well for lighting up the back yard (300 yards) as well as checking on the livestock and bumps in the night.

I didn't know there was such a thing as a programmable light. (I need to do more reading).

A light that is adjustable would be great.

Sorry I don't know enough about batteries to make any kind of an intelligent answer.

As far as a flood of throw I would have to say throw but I don't want a laser.

I prefer a warmer color but I will work with what is available. I find the blue color of my Stanly HID a little hard to get use to but I can adapt.

I hope that this will help you help me.

poorfatkid

Newly Enlightened
I should add that the $250 price needs to include a charger, batteries, spare bulb and anything else that I may need.

If I have to spend a little more to get what I am looking for than I may be able to do that as well.

I am looking to buy a light that will last a llloooooonnngg time so I don't mind spending some money on it.

Toaster

Enlightened
I think the light you may be looking for is the Eagletac M2X neutral white. See this thread for info regarding this light. It's not yet released, but the short summary is:

3x Cree XR-E Q3-5A LEDs
33 lumens -> 125 lumens -> 300 lumens -> 665 lumens -> Strobe, output levels selected by rotary switch
55hr (low) -> 12.5hr (medium) -> 4.5hr (high) -> 1.5hr (turbo) runtime on 2x 18650 li-on rechargeable batteries

From the beamshots it appears to have more throw than the single LED dedicated throwers while retaining a larger hotspot and better spill. Also throws better than quad-die LED lights. It uses Q3-5A LEDs which are much closer in tint to incandescents than traditional LEDs with their bluish tint. Shipping end of April so you'll see some user reviews soon which may help you make up your mind. On top of the light, you'll want 4x 18650 li-on batteries (AW is recommended) and a quality charger (Pila IBC is highly recommended). Here are some links to help you out:

Eagletac M2X (code CPF8 gives you an 8% discount)
AW's LiIon Batteries Sales Thread
Pila IBC Charger

Total altogether for the light, charger, and 4 batteries comes in right at $250.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok, much better. heh.

we better wait for the people chime in who know something.. but my 2 cents

really tough order you have with that 300yards distance.

i think the only options in LED market are the custom lights like DEFT that can reach out that far.

so i think HID lights are best option to you. (too bad most of the handheld sized ones go way over budget)

as most of the powerful led flashlights are useful for 100-200yards or so.

poorfatkid

Newly Enlightened
Toaster - Thank you for the info. I will do some more reading.

I was reading about the Fenix TK40. I like the fact that it uses AA batteries and has a long run time on "turbo" setting.

How would the TK40 compare to the Eagletac M2X?

poorfatkid

Newly Enlightened
ok, much better. heh.

we better wait for the people chime in who know something.. but my 2 cents

really tough order you have with that 300yards distance.

i think the only options in LED market are the custom lights like DEFT that can reach out that far.

so i think HID lights are best option to you. (too bad most of the handheld sized ones go way over budget)

as most of the powerful led flashlights are useful for 100-200yards or so.

The 300 yards may just be a dream from what I am finding.

Toaster

Enlightened
Toaster - Thank you for the info. I will do some more reading.

I was reading about the Fenix TK40. I like the fact that it uses AA batteries and has a long run time on "turbo" setting.

How would the TK40 compare to the Eagletac M2X?

Well here are some differences to keep in mind:

- M2X will probably out throw the TK40
- M2X is available in neutral white tint, TK40 only available in cool white tint
- M2X UI is much more simple and intuitive
- Fenix warns TK40 is not supposed to be run on turbo mode for more than 15 minutes at a time due to possible heat buildup. M2X has no such restriction afaik
- Charging and keeping track of 2 batteries is a lot less of a PITA than doing the same with 8 batteries. Makes for easier battery changes in the field as well.

Neither light is a slouch by any means. But imho the M2X looks to be the better executed light. Final judgement of course will have to wait until both lights are reviewed properly. :D

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
fenix tk40 was interesting just because the AA batteries. (but i kinda forgot it when i heard of the eagletac m2..)

i think i just have to have spare set of batteries ready to go into the flashlight.. minimum 16AAs specially for it in rotation. too many for me.

eagle-tac m2x with warm white leds is the one im seriously thinging about getting (i like the tint and the double stack battery arangement) easier to carry a shorty than long tube.

one more to look for when it becomes available.. its custom made too so it might take a while..

legion II, very ingenious user interface, and custom built ones normally have very good quality control.

or something made by elektrolumens.

*yeah there is SOOOO much to read in here and plenty to learn.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Neofab Legion II might be a good choice too(3 18650 batteries).

You can also get a warmer bulb for the Stanley HID, just read through the thread in the HID section.

300 yards throw. decent coverage, and good runtime only exists with HID lights.

seaside

Enlightened
New Jetbeam M1X is quite impressive thrower with tight beam. And four 18650s, a nice charger will do the job for you within your budget.

ToeMoss

Newly Enlightened
You can get a Surefire M6 from Ebay for what you are looking to spend. There are a few rechargeable options you can research her on CPF as well. There are also some very nice hotwire options you can explore when you are ready. I went with the WA 1185 modification with the three 17670 rechargeable cells and I've been very pleased with the results.

poorfatkid

Newly Enlightened
Thank you to each and every one that replied.

I still have some more reading to do but at this time I am leaning toward the Fenix TK40 because of the availability of batteries AA's.

I want to buy a light that I can use for several years and I am fairly certain that AA's will be around for a long time to come. I also like the fact that you can buy them at most any store or gas station in the world. I realize that having to charge and change 8 batteries at a time is a pain but I think that the availability of batteries is worth it.

Is it unreasonable to prefer the Fenix just because of the batteries? Should I be more open to other battery options?

It's possible that I am leaning toward the AA's since the only rechargeable's that I have experience with are the P90's.:thumbsdow

Thanks again

seaside

Enlightened
I wouldn't mind if that uses 2 AA batteries, but 8 AA batteries? Not a chance. What about backup batteries? Carrying another 8 ~ 16 batteries for backup? No way, at least, that's not for me.

If you haven't experienced any Lithiun ion battery before, this is your chance to get that experience. You won't regret.

poorfatkid

Newly Enlightened
I wouldn't mind if that uses 2 AA batteries, but 8 AA batteries? Not a chance. What about backup batteries? Carrying another 8 ~ 16 batteries for backup? No way, at least, that's not for me.

If you haven't experienced any Lithiun ion battery before, this is your chance to get that experience. You won't regret.

I understand and I would agree if the light was going to be carried often. The light that I am looking for will probably never leave my property so I will always be close to the charger and fresh batteries. I guess that's also a good reason to consider lights that run off other batteries.

I don't know yet which way to go.:confused:

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
The two 18650 batteries can cost as little as $10 if you buy the trustfire brand ones, which have good capacity and are decent quality. Lithium and Lithium Ion batteries are simply better than alkalline AA batteries, so higher output lights tend to use them.
As long as you follow a few simple charging precautions, using 18650's is pretty easy (you want protected one). Since the M2/M2x can also run off of CR123's, then you have another option if your other batteries go dead and you really need light.
Since you have about $250 to spend, I think it might make sense for you to get the stanley HID and the Eagletac M2 or M2x, if you really want the 300 yard throw. You should be able to get both lights and a few batteries and an inexpensive charger for under $250.