RA clicky or Nitecore Extreme??

mpkav

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, new to the forum. I hope this topic hasn't been covered a million times. I'm a police officer and looking for a good small backup light to use at work. I own a number of surefires and use the pelican 7060 as my primary work light. Between the RA clicky and nitecore extreme which is better??Thanks!!

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a Nightcore Extreme as my primary duty light, actually. I don't own a Ra. I have some bigger, brighter lights that I can grab when I know I'll need them, but the Extreme does fine for most things. Only slight drawback is the need to use both hands to change from bright to dim, or vice-versa.

streetmaster

Enlightened
I've had an Extreme, it's a great light. But I also currently own a Ra Clicky EDCE 120. I strongly recommend the Clicky. It's tougher, and easier to switch modes/brightness. One button, no twisting required.

mpkav

Newly Enlightened
seems to be a lot of clicky fans out there. Does anyone have any bad experiences with the nitecore??

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go for the Clicky. Since this will be your backup light, ultimate brightness and/or throw will not be a concern. The Clicky is much tougher and can personally tell you they can handle TONS of abuse. It also provides easy one-handed operation with very nice low modes for close up tasks.

The Clicky's are an amazing light for the money. Pair that with great customer service backing the product and you got a winner!

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a backup light I'd take the clickie or tactical from Ra.

The Nitecore is very good and I'd prefer it as a primary light using a 17670 in a 2 cell Surefire body.

Sverre

Toaster

Enlightened
Nitecore Extreme due to it's KISS UI. Can't accidentally switch modes with inadvertent presses of the switch in stressful situations.

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
I own both and they are way different lights. If you want an absolutely reliable light that can withstand more abuse than any light should have to, the Ra is that light. If this isn't your criteria, then the Nitecore is good enough. I like them both, but like I said; they are way different lights.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Ra 140 Cn tactical would be my choice for your situation - quite a bit of throw if you need it but tough and easy to use once you have it set up and are familiar with it. Very versatile light and it has a disorienting strobe if that might be useful. Also has a slower flashing mode that might find some use in emergency situations.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carried a Nitecore Extreme for months and really enjoyed it. However, it was an early model, came with an extra tailswitch for a reason. Both switches have failed, I've rebuilt them a couple of times but got tired of the drill and have parked the light pending a replacement switch. I bought a bag of switches from Deal Extreme but they don't seem to fit.

The light is brighter than the two Ra Clicky's and Ra Twisty that I have (actually had, I lost one of the Clicky's). The beam is not as nice, has rings but for the size and price is a lot of light.

I'm carrying a Ra Clicky Tactical these days but I miss the brighter beam of the NEX in some situations.

mpkav

Newly Enlightened
Think this will be a difficult decision!!! Seems like they are both good lights. A little more towards the clicky. I think there is only one thing to do, get them both!!!!!! Wife would probably leave me though. Wait, maybe I will get them both!!!!!!Ha, thanks for all the feedback!!

Viper715

Enlightened
I liked the extreme bought didn't like the two handed mode switching. I have went to a Nitecore D10 one handed and I really didn't need strobe or that high of a high in my backup. But have have been thinking about the RA's or the Novatacs. The Extreme is very nice and you wouldn't regret it.