PrincetonTec Predator Pro?

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

photo_predator-pro_sm.jpg

I am thinking of getting one of these lights. Primary use for hiking and cycling. At 8 oz is it a bit on the heavy side?

Does anyone have one, if so what is your opinion of it? What is the throw compared to say the Surge?

Would you suggest the 2AA Predator version instead of this one?

Am interested if anyone has one FS!

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never noticed the Predator line before!

Here is what I would do, the Predator Pro is 4AA instead of 2AA, and the bulb is 4watts, instead of 2 watts.

But as you noticed, it is 8 vs 4.5 ounces.

First, see if there is a place where you can see both of them.

2nd, I would get the Predator pro, and use lithium batteries, for two reasons. ONE, the lithium AA batteries are like 2/3 lighter than alkline, and TWO, they are brighter, and will maintain maximum output for longer.

BUT they are expensive. Cheapest posted price is 8.99 for 4 at Office Depot.

Someone had a "strap" that wrapped around your handlebar to hold a regular flashlight.

What I would do, is get TWO Princeton Tec Surge's, and wrap that around your handle bar.

Do a search on BICYCLE in SUBJECT ONLY for ALL FORUMS, and there are 8 topics total regarding bike lights

Do the same search, but use BIKE and there are 28 topics.

Sorry I can't find that topic, but I know it is here somewhere!

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Using lithium's on that light would most likely blow the bulb very prematurely. Not having tried it on that light specifically, it's been proven to do so with the Surge and other incandescent lights.

Looks like a decent light though. In brightness I would imagine it would be right up there with a PT 40.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both 4AA Predator Pro and 2AA Predator. I use NiMH and 3D Krypton bulb in Predator Pro. It becomes much brighter (same as Tec 40 with NiMH and 3D lamp) than its original halogen. The original lamp wasn't 4 Watt as claimed by Princeton. It's only 2.4 Watt (0.5A on 4.8v) Halogen. I love it so much and get 2 of them - in fact, one Predator Pro and one vortec.

The 2AA Predator (Solo) is too dim and too yellow for me even with the halogen from Solo. It's too bad that I couldn't get any regulated LS headlamp in the market.

Alan

camisdad

Newly Enlightened
Hi Toby-

I looked at it seriously before going for an Aurora. I tried it out and felt like it was a lot of weight - after 30 mns my scalp skin was itching a bit from the pressure. I did not think that the Aurora would give me the throw so I had eliminated from my original choices - but after seeing someone using it at night I was impressed by the amount of light and tried it out a couple of evenings - I was quickly sold.

Now my wife and my little boy want Auroras too - I have another 2 on order from tts...

mo2c... Best - Michel

D

**DONOTDELETE**

privortec.jpg

Thanks for the replies but I'm confused with the difference between the Vortec and the Predator Pro.

They two lights look to me very similar. Both are 4AA's, 8 oz, 4 watts and waterproof.

Only the colours appear different.
The Vortec is a bit cheaper than the P/Pro.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Near as I can tell, the Vortec, Predator Pro and the Tec 40 all use the same lamp and/or lamp assembly, and have the same output.

The Vortec and Predator Pro appear, for all intents and purposes, to be the the same light...

A lot of Princeton Tec products are interchangable with one another, so any accessory that works on any one of the 3 lights should work in all 3.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vortec comes with 2 reflectors (smooth and dimpled) and 2 bulbs (halogen and long burn bulb) while Predator Pro comes with one reflector and long burn bulb. Same difference apply to Solo and Predator.

Alan