Looking for advice on Lithium batteries

Velcro

Enlightened
Hello,

I own a Mag-Lite 3D which lately, I've been using very rarely. About a year ago, I replaced the old batteries with fresh new Duracell Ultra's. Then, after six months or so of using the light very rarely (not even more then 10 minutes total) the beam became very dim and was pretty much useless.

I know that alkalines slowly fade as the batteries age, and I've heard that lithium batteries stay bright until they die.

Basically what I want is to be able to store my Mag-Lite for longer periods, and still have it's full power available for emergency use. So the first thing that comes to my mind is using lithium batteries.

I've never used lithiums before, so I would like to know more about them such as pros and cons, power, output, etc. Thanks in advance!

Greetings,
Velcro

axolotls

Enlightened
I have the same problems as you do. In fact, I pulled out my multimeter yesterday for my 3-D Mag and it showed the batteries at 1.4,1.4 and .4 Volts each?! And I know I put fresh Energizer's in there at the beginning of the year and only used it during a blackout for 15 minutes at most.

This is what I do know, I stand the Mag on it's reflector and unscrew the tail-cap and put it next to each other.

I know this might cause problems if I grab the light and the batteries fall out. But the dim bulb scenario is annoying and not practical.

But since I have and E2 and a supply of 123's I am slightly less annoyed at the mag.

Anyone else have a solution or the same problem.

mad.gif

Brock

Flashaholic
Once you go lithium there is no going back. I have started using AA lithiums in anything I can. I would suggest a Streamlight Scorpion to replace the Mag, or a Surefire E2 if you want something better. Or maybe even a UKE 2L. All three of them use 2 123's, lithium. The UKE runs about 1/2 the intensity, but you get over twice the run time on 2 batteries, about 2 1/2 hours. The Scorpion and E2 both run about 65 min. Again they will be bright until the last 5 minutes of their life, unlike alkaline that slowly fade.

Another advantage is shelf life and ability to provide full power in below freezing temps.

Brock

kb0rrg

Enlightened
If you look really hard you can find lithium D cells. They are 3v and $20 each. I have been tempted to put 3 lith D's in my 3D mag and a 6 cell bulb. But that would be over $60.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry if this is duplicate post.
(site acting very STRANGELY)
velcro/axolotis
You could use the lithium AA
batts with adaptor set from Amer
Sci.& Surplus- www.sciplus.com
2 allow those cells 2 work in th
3D Mag..(cat.item #30803) for
super long shelf life..
-My question is: why are those
alkaline cells self-discharging
so much???
(Those cells should still be
90-95% good-even after 3-4 years
of very light usage.) Right???
confused.gif

Velcro

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brock:
Once you go lithium there is no going back. I have started using AA lithiums in anything I can. I would suggest a Streamlight Scorpion to replace the Mag, or a Surefire E2 if you want something better. Or maybe even a UKE 2L.

<snip>

Brock
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the suggestions Brock, but as for now I don't really need a new (emergency use) flashlight. The Mag works fine for me.

Besides, the Mag is an excellent piece of security if you know what I mean :)

Greetings,
Velcro

Velcro

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kb0rrg:
If you look really hard you can find lithium D cells. They are 3v and $20 each. I have been tempted to put 3 lith D's in my 3D mag and a 6 cell bulb. But that would be over $60.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seems like I miscalculated the price of lithiums. Boy they are expensive! There goes my plan...

Greetings,
Velcro

axolotls

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Velcro:
Seems like I miscalculated the price of lithiums. Boy they are expensive! There goes my plan...

Greetings,
Velcro
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe we can use 3 - 123's ($6.50 for the three using Sanyos) and somehow rig it inside some of those D Containers.

Cheaper than $60..

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by axolotls:

Maybe we can use 3 - 123's ($6.50 for the three using Sanyos) and somehow rig it inside some of those D Containers.

Cheaper than $60..
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Beg pardon? Sanyo has lithium 123s at 3 for $6.50???? Where? That would sure make my SureFire 9Z a lot cheaper to feed!

axolotls

Enlightened
Yeah, I got a ten-pack of Sanyos for $24.50 shipped off an auction site. I labeled the box (E2 Food).

They are the most economical. I'll give up a few minutes of run-time vs the Duracells, to keep me in budget.

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by videocal:
You could use the lithium AA
batts with adaptor set from Amer
Sci.& Surplus- www.sciplus.com
2 allow those cells 2 work in th
3D Mag..(cat.item #30803) for
super long shelf life..
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Sorry Videocal I can't find an adapter for 3D to lithium. Where is it please ? Is it practical to run a 6D bulb with 3D cell Lithiums ?. I'd like to try it just once - what would I get in runtime and costs, would there be any drawbacks ?

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not expand on Doug`s post and make your own...take some rolled up paper and slide it in the batt chamber. Slip in three AA lithiums (in the center of the roll)... cut a bolt or other piece of metal to take up the remainig space and reassemble. You may have to use a different bulb (don`t forget, lithium AA`s put out 1.7 volts times three = 5.1, the original might go pszzt quick).

Brock

Flashaholic
I have seen the ones that use a single AA to make a D cell and even a C cell. Am I correct in thinking that the ones at Sciplus held 3 AA in 1 D cell body? That would be very nice.

Brock

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your dreams parallel mine, but alas, haven't seen any such animal..
frown.gif

-Those SciPlus adaptors were just like the miniature Russian
dolls-one goes inside the next one, which together goes into a yet bigger one and so on..(4 pcs.)
so that if you had to, you could use a AAA in a D sized compartment.
-Now if they could just figure out how to get a "D" size cell
into a "AAA" space.......
grin.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lite-Lover
I just now checked at sciplus,
and unfortunately they are sold
out rite now,
frown.gif
-but CHECK BACK
every so often.
B/4 they were available, I did
what Ken did, and it worked OK.
smile.gif
-I just remembered!, other
adaptors that will work great are available from: www.mcmelectronics.com -part #
29-2635-four adaptors-$1.99
(this will allow your AA lithium
cells to fit PERFECTLY in the"D"
compartment).
-Additional benefit: your Mag. will be much lighter for
you to carry. -it may even FLOAT
in water, (although I haven't tried it)...