Going camping- paklite? need runtime

lemonvr6

Newly Enlightened
I have an AE Xenide 25w just in case I need to flag down a helicopter or something, but I want a floody LED that will run for ~100 hours or so. 10 lumens or less is fine. I would VASTLY PREFER a single mode light.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an AE Xenide 25w just in case I need to flag down a helicopter or something, but I want a floody LED that will run for ~100 hours or so. 10 lumens or less is fine. I would VASTLY PREFER a single mode light.

A little more info would be helpful. What size limit do you prefer, how many and what kind of battery's do you want it to run on, how do you want to carry it in pocket,backpack or holster? These questions will help us help you.

lemonvr6

Newly Enlightened
A little more info would be helpful. What size limit do you prefer, how many and what kind of battery's do you want it to run on, how do you want to carry it in pocket,backpack or holster? These questions will help us help you.

Size within reason, will keep in pocket likely, other than that no preference.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore D10 (1XAA) and EX10 (1X CR123). Put it on low and it will stay there untill you change it which is easy to do.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

MarPsyco

Newly Enlightened
Camping = headlamp in my opinion. Trust me, you will appreciate two free hands at night. One of the Energizer LED headlamps you can get in any supermarket should work fine unless you're going camping in pouring rain all night, they can take light rain but are not the most water resistant headlamps. They have pretty good runtime on the low setting.

If you are willing to spend more I personally recommend a Zebralight. I love mine. Other good brands of quality headlamps are Princeton Tec and Petzl, but I have no personal experience with the last two brands.

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget the old stanby. The Gerber Infinity Ultra sounds like it would be what you are looking for.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I might also recommend an LED lantern.

The good old Energizer 4xAA folding LED lantern (LED4AAOD) will give you enough light for a tent and they claim 130 hours on one set of batteries. Weighs about 3.5 ounces w/o batteries and it's cheap, too.

The Brunton Glorb weighs a tiny but more (w/o the 4xAA's) but they claim 250 hours run time. The Glorb XB has a one watt LED but they only claim 50 hours run time.

Bigger usually means brighter and longer run time. If you can stand the weight of D cell lights Energizer has a few choices with up to 245 hours claimed run time. A couple of them have adjustable levels. Most have a switch for a yellow LED to use as a night light. Those are pretty good choices for power outage lights at home or cottage, too.

There are lots of other options.

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Pak-lite that I purchased years ago and I tried running it down on low and I just gave up after a few days, lol!! That was with a lithium battery!

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I might have a fuzzy memory on this, but I seem to remember someone ran a Pak-Lite on low with a lithium battery in their freezer, and it stayed lit for many months or even a year. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

325addict

Enlightened
I just bought a Wolf-Eyes Sniper with an MC-E LED in it.

In the low-mode (unfortunately, this is the third mode, so you have to extra-click the switch twice) this light will have a runtime of about 50 hours on a single 18650 battery.

Take two of these batteries with you, and you have the desired 100 hours.

Especially for camping, this is a great light. For lighting up "your" area on the camping-site, you need a floody beam, not a thrower - and that's exactly what this one has.

As an added benefit, you get in the other modes too - you'll have a portable SEARCHLIGHT in your hand if you just leave it in the high mode! An incredible wall of light will be yours.

I first was tempted by single-mode lights too, but the ability to adjust the light AND the runtime for the given task has made me look more to the multimode lights nowadays (when it comes to LED-lights - I still am an incan-man by nature. But to have 100 hours runtime, you would end up with no-light with an incan. Here, LEDs rule! However, multi-mode incans are a reality - the SureFire 9AN commander simply has two bulbs built into its single reflector....)

Timmo.

Bradlee

Enlightened
I might also recommend an LED lantern.

...The Brunton Glorb weighs a tiny but more (w/o the 4xAA's) but they claim 250 hours run time. The Glorb XB has a one watt LED but they only claim 50 hours run time...

There are lots of other options.

IMO, the Glorb XB causes a lot of glare when using it at eye-level (e.g. eating at picnic table, holding in front of you), making it less than ideal.

jankj

Enlightened
Camping = headlamp in my opinion. Trust me, you will appreciate two free hands at night. One of the Energizer LED headlamps you can get in any supermarket should work fine unless you're going camping in pouring rain all night, they can take light rain but are not the most water resistant headlamps. They have pretty good runtime on the low setting.

If you are willing to spend more I personally recommend a Zebralight. I love mine. Other good brands of quality headlamps are Princeton Tec and Petzl, but I have no personal experience with the last two brands.

+1 on that. I've nothing to add - well said, MarPsyco.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO, the Glorb XB causes a lot of glare when using it at eye-level (e.g. eating at picnic table, holding in front of you), making it less than ideal.
Pretty sure there was a thread about diffusing lantern globes/surfaces awhile ago but that's easy to figure out if it's annoying. Lots of cheap fixes for that.