Solarforce T4 Full Kit Review

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received the Solarforce T4 Full Kit.

ST4002Small.jpg

Ths kit comes with the Solarforce T4 light that uses a 1 CR123 or 1 RCR123. An optional battery tube that uses 2AA sized batteries.

The Solarforce T4 uses Type III Hard Anodize. The finish color does not match the 2AA Battery Tube. There are some flaws in the finish.

The fit is excellent. Has smooth threads. O-rings were not lubed.

ST4003Small.jpg

ST4004Small.jpg

ST4005Small.jpg

The Lantern fits on the T4.

ST4007Small.jpg

The lens bezel assembly needs to be taken off. You need to unscrew clockwise, opposite of the usual clockwise to unscrew. When you install the T4 screw counterclockwise into the Lantern Head.

ST4037Small.jpg

ST4038Small.jpg

ST4036Small.jpg

A tripod for the lantern.

ST4006Small.jpg

This is where tripod screws into the lantern head.

ST4042Small.jpg

ST4039Small.jpg

A Headlamp is included. The T4 head screws into it. A L2 Mini head will not screw into this. My headlamp does not work.

ST4034Small.jpg

Left Solarforce T4. Right, L2 Mini

ST4028Small.jpg

ST4022Small.jpg

ST4023Small.jpg

ST4025Small.jpg

Battery door has a split ring to keep from loosing the cover.

ST4024Small.jpg

ST4026Small.jpg

This is how you adjust the angle of the beam.

ST4035Small.jpg

OP Reflector produces a smooth beam.

ST4013Small.jpg

Uses a Cree Q5.

ST4014Small.jpg

ST4041Small.jpg

Rear view of the Cree Q5 Module.

ST4019Small.jpg

Rear view of the lens bezel assembly.

ST4040Small.jpg

Front view of the battery tube.

ST4020Small.jpg

Battery has to be installed through the front of the battery tube.

ST4021Small.jpg

Clip fits in this slot.

ST4029Small.jpg

Rear forward clickie. It's 2 levels high and medium. The levels look very close. Solarforce should have used a lower low.

ST4018Small.jpg

Inside view of the rear clickie.

ST4017Small.jpg

Comes apart in 3 pieces.

ST4016Small.jpg

I was very surprised on how small the Solarforce T4 is.

ST4010Small.jpg

ST4011Small.jpg

The 2AA battery tube makes the T4 long and skinny.

ST4008Small.jpg

ST4009Small.jpg

I thought the Solarforce T4 would be very close in size to the Solarforce L2 Mini.

Left, Solarforce T4. Right, Solarforce L2 Mini

ST4012Small.jpg

Left, Solarforce T4. Right, Solarforce L2 Mini

ST4015Small.jpg

These are the lux readings I got. I am using AW's Black Protected RCR123's in both lights fully charged and I used Energizer Rechargeable nimh 2300mAh.

Solarforce T4 Q5 1 RCR123 (High) - 3800 lux @ 1 meter

Solarforce T4 Q5 1 RCR123 (Medium) - 2860 lux @ 1 meter

Solarforce T4 Q5 2AA (High) - 2630 lux @ 1 meter

Solarforce T4 Q5 2AA (Medium) - 890 lux @ 1 meter

Solarforce L2 R2 1S Mini - 5,500 lux @ 1 meter

Solarforce T4 Q5 @ 96"

ST4030Small.jpg

Solarforce L2 R2 @ 96"

ST4031Small.jpg

Left, Solarforce T4 Q5. Right, Solarforce L2 R2 @ 96"

ST4032Small.jpg

Left, Solarforce T4 Q5. Right, Solarforce L2 R2 @ 96" Stepped down exposure

ST4033Small.jpg

ST4045Small.jpg

Pros

Type III Hard Anodize

Smooth beam.

Small

Can use RCR123's.

T4 head can fit on a headlamp.

Cons

Headlamp does not work.

Mis-match of Type III Hard Anodize.

Flaws in the finish.

O-rings not lubed.

Needs a lower low. The levels are too close to each other.

No spare o-rings or rear rubber switch covers.

No holster.

No hole for lanyard.

No instructions.

Last edited:

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
The switch on the headlamp is bad. I got it to work once.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's enough to steer me away.

Lets not jump to rash decisions here, it's a simple fact that Erns got a bad one. It happens and I don't think that should reflect on the general quality of Solarforce products (which for me has been damn good so far especially considering how inexpensive their products usually are). Even with Erns' first review of the Tiablo A10, he got a lemon light engine module. So you know even the other good companies have defects/DOA stuff here and there.

Jimdo

Newly Enlightened
Ace0001a brings up a good point here, any and all companies (including peoples beloved, Surefire) can and will have defective products and equipment, there's simply no way around it.
All of that said, even assuming everything in the package worked perfectly, is there any real reason to buy this light over the L2 mini or the Full size L2? Especially, when one considers the price difference. I mean, I like that it is type III HA, but why not just offer some L2 and L2 mini bodies and switches in HA?

jake25

Enlightened
Jimdo you bring up a good point. Solarforce is a great company and I'm sure they try their hardest. HA L2s and L2ms would be great. For me, the L2m isn't that great for EDC. I switch off between my L2m and my Eagletac P10C. The Eagletac being slimmer rides better in my pocket. I think what Solarforce is trying to do is fill this niche of a high quality, 1 cell slim and sleek light. I'll have a little chat with Solarforce

Last edited:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
T4 and the 2xAA looks cool (although I don't like the italics name). It's a pity headlamp and lantern don't work. Apparently, they need to buck up on their QC if they were to compete with Fenix, Nitecore and Jetbeam. Having said that, I've not heard of failed L2 or L2M. So, it's probably a teething problem. :shrug:

Thanks, Ern. Great review, but I miss your garden shots :D

1996alnl

Enlightened
Lets not jump to rash decisions here, it's a simple fact that Erns got a bad one. It happens and I don't think that should reflect on the general quality of Solarforce products (which for me has been damn good so far especially considering how inexpensive their products usually are). Even with Erns' first review of the Tiablo A10, he got a lemon light engine module. So you know even the other good companies have defects/DOA stuff here and there.

Fair enough..

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have previous model Solarforce F4. You had to unscrew front part of the head to fit in the lantern adapter. Can you take a picture of the bottom of the lantern?

roadie

Enlightened
i got the lantern...

the bezel , see if u can remove the strike from the bezel, then it will fit.

if not u need a removable bezel head from solarforce then.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally figured out how the Lantern connects to the T4. The lens bezel assembly does come off. To remove the lens bezel assembly you unscrew clockwise, opposite of the usual clockwise to unscrew.

I will fix post #1 with the corrected information.

ST4037Small.jpg

ST4038Small.jpg

ST4036Small.jpg

Now the only issue I have is the bad headlamp.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review! I like the size of the light, I'm sure the AA option will appeal to a lot of people (not me though), and I love the lantern. One thing I'm really not sure about is the headlamp. It looks really bulky, and I think it'd be easier to carry around a complete, more compact headlamp.

radu1976

Enlightened
The T4 definetely looks awesome, it's a pity it hasn't been released in grey/natural HA .
I am considering getting one. Those issues with the lantern and headlamp, solved now, don't affect me at all as I am planning to buy the cheapest version - CR123 and 2AA body tube -
Like with my ROMISEN RC-N3 I will use only the CR123 format

roadie

Enlightened
glad u got a lantern now!

the cree will actually warm up kinda fast if u really put it to use.

what i did was, i got a SF p60L, replace the bulb, although not as bright but it managed to run overnight in my room.

Jimdo

Newly Enlightened
Zeruel,
Interesting that you should bring up the lack of 'failed' L2's , I have sold just over 400 L2's and have just recently had the first one with any problems come back to me. It seems that the R2 LED just stopped working on it.
Now, I am not saying that there haven't been others that I have sold that have stopped working, all I can say is that I attend many of the same shows and have a full time storefront that many of the same repeat customers come back and see me at and this is the first and only one that has been brought to my attention. Many customers buy one and will come back and buy more, if these people were having problems with the light, they wouldn't be buying more.
Those are some pretty darn good stats.... a 1 in 400 failure rate is certainly not too hard to live with.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
No company produces 100% perfect output, especially with brand new product introductions. Including Mercedes, BMW, Surefire, et al!

Solarforce has clearly demonstrated with their L2 and L2m lines that they are determined, serious players building serious quality flashlights! I say give them a little time to get this thing dialed-in and it will be S-W-E-E-T in a variety of packaging/finish options!