A2 = E2E + ?

CandlePow

Newly Enlightened
I like the idea of EDC-ing both a powerful light like the E2E and a weak one for things like map reading or reading a book in the dark. I know this is just what the A2 is designed for, but I hesitate to lay out the big bucks and my E2E has longer runtime and a more powerful beam. So what little light can fit on my key ring and read a map like the A2? I have an ARC AAA - great little light - but its light is not ideal for reading - too bright a hot spot and too weak in the surrounding area. I'd like a more diffused light for reading. Any ideas?

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
Unfortunately, my recommendation isn't as price comparable as the Arc AAA... but I find that the SF L1 Lumamax (low setting) meets the criteria quite well. The L1 gives off a well diffused light (white) on its low setting, making for an easy-on-the-eyes operation out of any nighttime map reading routine. However, the math is easy on this one... E2e ($75) + L1 ($95) = Way More Than The A2.

But I've done plenty of low-light work with the Arc AAA, and given its compact size, weight, and cost, I would say it still works out well as a low-level map light. Plus, the AAA provides over 5 hours of useful light. Either that or a Photon II... but I think the E2e with Arc AAA (or Photon II/III) is the best way to go, both price-wise and weight/size-wise.

-Jim

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Candlepow,

The LED's that would satisfy your flood requirement are the Nichia 312's; a 3 mm LED with a wider and more even disbursement of light. What you would really like is a AAA light with 3 3mm's in it. You can also modify the Arc AAA to provide a wider beam if it puts out enough photons but not in the right place. A 1W Luxeon, underdriven and without optics also gives a great reading flood. As far as commercially manufactured, I can't think of a triple LED keyring light. In the picture below, the light on the left is my idea of a perfect key ring light but nobody makes one:

McTi-Arc.jpg

- Don

McGizmo

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Aragorn said:

ps- the a2 is a pitiful exuse for a surefire.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aragorn, to that statement and IMHO, I reply; NOT!

- Don

Darell

Flashaholic
Don is right on with the 312's. For more light - the best even flood I've yet seen is the McFlood on a 1W. The McLux is awesome for reading because of the lack of hotspot. Great to hear that others are finally looking for this type of useful lighting!

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
CandlePow said:
I have an ARC AAA - great little light - but its light is not ideal for reading - too bright a hot spot and too weak in the surrounding area. I'd like a more diffused light for reading. Any ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]

CandlePow,

Try holding your AAA further away from the page to provide an improved beam. Even better, the AAA with a small piece of WriteRight secured with a rubber band makes an excellent diffused beam reading light.

Brightnorm

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to try a CMG Infinity (not the Ultra model).

The hotspot/beam are not as bright as the Arc and it will run forever on a AA battery. I find it to be pretty useful for reading. Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention that they are pretty cheap now (usually can find one on the net for about $12 new).

Pat

Size15's

Flashaholic
In my opinion the A2's beam is more powerful than the E2e's MN03. I guess this depends on what definition of powerful is used and what we define as giving us power.

For reading light I guess a tiny light with a clip to attach it to stuff would be useful...

Al

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The A2 is a combination of an E2e with an Opalec Newbeam... Almost literally, except regulation for the A2's small LEDs, although not a necessity, would be an welcome addition as well...

McGizmo

Flashaholic
The question you have asked is about the missing part of your equation; the question mark. In light of what others have added here I would like to concur (with the exception of Aragorn's statement) and suggest that you consider this equation:

A2=A2

There is nothing else equal to it on the market at present. I agree with Al that I prefer the incandescent beam of the A2 over the E2e and if yoo were to swap out the 5 mm (500BS) LED's in the A2 with 3 mm (312's) I don't think you could find a better portable light source for reading and you have 2 123 cells for extended run time in the "reading" mode. Even with the stock LED ring, pulling back with the light or sticking a beam shaper over the lens will give you a great reading light source.

I am sorry but you will have to reconsider your denial of the A2. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

- Don

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
A2=A2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

He's looking for an alternative, not an excuse to buy an A2.

Sounds like you've got everything he needs - an E2e and an Arc AAA.

What Brightnorm said - hold the Arc further away... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Ok, Ok...... A2 is out for this solution.

Now, I quote: "too bright a hot spot and too weak in the surrounding area. I'd like a more diffused light for reading. Any ideas? "

Now, will holding the light further away improve on the fact that the light is "too weak in the surrounding area" ? I don't think so. Perhaps diffusing the LED in the Arc AAA will suffice; this is up to Candelpow to decide. There are various ways he can do this like WriteRight as Brightnorm suggests or even poured in place epoxy for light diffussion:

epoxy-lens-arc.jpg

I don't know if Candlepow will find the single LED with diffused beam sufficient or not but certainly it would be the first thing to try. He has also stated that he wants the light on his key ring. I think this kind of precludes the A2 as well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think what would really float his boat is an underdriven luxeon on a single cell with flood reflector or multiple 312's on a single cell; both lights reasonably small enough to fit on a key chain.

- Don

Blikbok

Enlightened
I just got my A2. I thought I would never buy one. While I enjoyed the E2e, I couldn't justify carrying it all the time, even before the A2. It was too bright for 90% of the work, and I feared eating up the batteries with excess light. The A2 has enough range of function that it rarely leaves my pocket.

I also have to object to the runtime comparison. 40 minutes of flat output is better than 60 of declining output for my applications. And many of us rotate out the cells from high-draw to low draw applications as the output dims, so we never see the back end of runtime.

The best comparison to the coaxial LEDs is the PT Attitude. A nice little light, but one I use less and less. For your application, I'd think that the ARC AAA or CMG Infinity White might do fine. My mom uses her Infinity White for menu reading.

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Aragorn said:
? = pt attitude

ps- the a2 is a pitiful exuse for a surefire.

[/ QUOTE ]You could not be further from the truth. I hope you have you seven layer flame suit on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
We do not flame here of course - heated discussion. People have different opinions most of the time.

I still carry an A2 for EDC. I suspect I will for a long while longer too.

Al

CandlePow

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the helpful ideas. The replies by Al, Blikbok and McGizmo have me leaning toward taking the plunge to an A2. For the purpose of reading at night and in dark places, what color LED should I go for on the A2? I suspect white, but thought I would ask the experts.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup Al, there's nuthin like it. Since I got an A2, I decided that the E2e was not worth carrying as it is. I'm having it modded to fill a different need.

For me, the regulated xenon is the best feature of the A2. It appears that SureFire might be making more regulated lights in the future. If so, they've got a customer here.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
look at the streamlight TWINTASK lights, only $30. unless you really need a pocket clip or want to pony up $150+ i'd get a streamlight.

alot of folks here and myself don't care for the A2, search and you'll find plenty of negatives. you don't see much praise for it like other popular lights except from 3 individuals.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
tkl,

bait accepted; /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

- Don

Question, if the A2's can't be kept in stock and yet it seems to me that aside from you and Nascar (both of whos opinions I respect) have been the primary source of A2's available in the B/S/T, do you think there are a bunch of A2 owners out there who are unhappy about their ownership? It is definitely not a light for everyone nor can its price be justified in many cases.

In my limited experience with various light sources, it is my humble opinion that the best light source for low but adequate illumination for reading is either from a group of 312's or an underdriven 1W luxeon. Are either of these available in a keychain light? I don't know but don't think so. I wouldn't be satisfied with the A2's LED's unless a beam shaper or substitution with 312's was made. I went with the 312's and am a happy camper. I am just one guy who tends to favor a wide flood of even light whenever possible and I go for focused throw *only* when there aren't enough photons to cover the target in a wide beam approach. I don't have tactical requirements and at any distance, I prefer the widest possible spread and with the most even distribution of light as possible. I don't need a center hot spot to identify the center of the beam for me and usually find it annoying. I prefer the hotspot to be large enough to illuminate the total target and not just a portion of it. The further distance to target, the more I will accept a heavily centered beam but certainly not for tasks and reading. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

- Don

PS. On color, white is the only way to go. the colored LED's have artifacts that you will find very annoying for reading......