Overhaul of a BMX racing bike. (Picture Heavy)

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't typically post stuff like this but I had to share a project I just finished for my son. He's turning 7 this weekend. He's recently gotten into BMX racing and has been doing so on an entry level Redline chromoly framed bike. My wife and I wanted to get him a lighter "racing" bike so he could be more competitive with the other kids. The problem is that those "racing" bikes are downright expensive!

We really could not afford a new one. So we spent the last few months looking at the track and on Craigslist and the like. We found a few decent bikes but they were all too small, until a couple weeks ago when I stopped by the LBS (local bike shop). I asked if they had anything used and would you believe it the guy said he might. He told me to wait a minute while he went to the back. When he came out he was pushing this well used but perfectly sized bike. It was complete with carbon fiber forks and those skinny racing rims and tires. It was really well equipped with higher end parts. It was definitely on the rough side though. I asked how much it was. He told me and I told him I would have to discuss it with the wife and get back to him.

Well the wife and I did talk it over and decided it was a heck of a deal for what it had. So I went the next day and bought it. Here are a few pictures of what it looked like the day I brought it home.

DSC00172.jpg

DSC00173.jpg

DSC00174.jpg

DSC00175.jpg

That would have been the end of the story but as fate would have it I have a buddy that's a machinist by trade but also a body man, painter and air-brusher. I told him about the bike and he offered to do a custom paint job on it. He said he could do a "true-fire" effect. What's a guy to do? I said, "Yes" of courseJ. That same day I completely disassembled the bike so I could get it to him to strip and paint.

I dropped the frame and handle bars off the next day. I was going to keep the forks as they were because the name "Scythe" was supposedly the in thing to have. The more I looked at the forks and how scratched and dinged up they were the more I knew something had to be done. One night I spent an hour or so lightly wet-sanding them to get as many of the scratches out as I could. When I was done they didn't look nearly as bad as they did but now had a very dull finish from the wet-sanding. That's when I decided the heck with the name I'm going to go ahead and paint them. So I really went to town and got all but the deepest scratches out.

I told my buddy the next day what I'd done and he said that he could use a candy coat paint on them and that they would look "killer". What a great idea I thought.

My buddy had the parts for several days during which I decided to replace some of the other parts on the bike. For instance the cranks that came with it were 170mm and 160mm were the recommended size for my son. So I bought a new set of cranks, bottom bracket and chain ring. They were not as nice or expensive as the originals but perfectly adequate. Then I looked at the break lever and breaks. Those worked fine but I convinced myself new ones would really put the icing on the cake. So those were replaced as well. The "headset" was also pretty bad shape. It had obvious impressions of bearings in the bearing race which you could feel when you rotated them. So of course that was replaces as well. This was getting more expensive by the day. However I had to admit I was having fun with it. The "stem" or "goose neck" as it was called when I was a kid, was pretty sad too. Thing is a replacement would have just been too much. So since it was bare aluminum I decided to try to use some Scotch-brite to clean it up. Once again it took some of the scratches out but looked dull. I told my buddy and he said not to worry he could use his buffing wheel to polish it for me. So I dropped that off with him.

The next few days he stripped and primed the parts to be painted. He then laid down the base color on them. Then the day came for the air brush work. I was stoked. Unfortunately I could not be there to watch. Instead I got a couple cell phone pics to tease me during the process and even when it was complete. But you know how cell phone pictures are, pretty much useless. When he finished he said the paint would need to cure for around 15hrs. and that I could pick the parts up the next day. Lemme tell you I was dying until the next day.

The next morning arrived and I knew I was to pick up the parts shortly. I planned to take the parts by the shop I bought the bike from to have them press the headset into the frame and fork steering tube. I could have done it with some sort of makeshift arrangement but thought I'd be better off using the "right" tool with less chance of screwing something up.

Anyway, I showed up to pick up the parts. He had them in the back of his car sitting on a blanket. The closer I got to them the more I could see the detail in the flames. All I could say was "Wow!". It really looked amazing. Then I saw the carbon fiber forks in the sunlight. Absolutely beautiful! I couldn't have been happier.

That night I was up until 2AM putting the bike together. I was very careful since the paint was still soft. When I was all done I staggered to bed for the night. The next morning after dropping my son off at school I pulled the bike out of its hiding place and took these pictures.

DSC00197.jpg

DSC00186.jpg

DSC00180.jpg

DSC00201.jpg

DSC00189.jpg

DSC00191.jpg

DSC00184.jpg

Here are some High Resolution pictures. Click on them then click again for the full size images. The first hi-rez photo of the forks is really impressive. If you like you can check out the whole album HERE.

Last edited:

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
That thing is amazing, and wow what a great friend you have to help you out. I love the flames, how they overlap to give 3D effect. The fork not only looks amazing, but I'm from the school of thought that it's always coolest to go stealth & have no name at all. Who wants to brag with a nametag when the confidence of having the best stuff is much more powerful.

Beautiful work. I hope your son likes it, and with flames how can you possibly go wrong. He must be a very tall 7 yr old, btw. The bike looks way too big for my guy who turns 7 in June.

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
That thing is amazing, and wow what a great friend you have to help you out. I love the flames, how they overlap to give 3D effect. The fork not only looks amazing, but I'm from the school of thought that it's always coolest to go stealth & have no name at all. Who wants to brag with a nametag when the confidence of having the best stuff is much more powerful.

Beautiful work. I hope your son likes it, and with flames how can you possibly go wrong. He must be a very tall 7 yr old, btw. The bike looks way too big for my guy who turns 7 in June.

Yes, I agree about the name thing too. Anyone that knows anything about this stuff will know what they are just by looking at them anyway.

He's the tallest kid in his class. I'm 6'5" and my wife is 6' if that gives you any indication of how big he might be :). The bike is an Expert Plus size. It's got the same size top tube as his current bike. But because the new frame is a "Formula" it looks different. Formula is kinda unique inthat the seat tube is much shorter than most. It gives an illusion that the front is taller than it really is. That said I've been thinking the bars might be slightly too tall for him. We'll see when he gets a chance to ride it. If they are I'll have to pick up some shorter ones.

Marlite

Enlightened
Beautiful bike your son will love it. How nice that your friend has the talent and a willingness to flame up a "custom", the carbon fiber forks in particular. He is a great friend for sure.

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beautiful bike your son will love it. How nice that your friend has the talent and a willingness to flame up a "custom", the carbon fiber forks in particular. He is a great friend for sure.

Yeah, he is a good guy. The carbon fiber forks were painted with a blue candy coat over the carbon fiber. He really didn't do anything special to them.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Nice bike!
Its cool to see BMX as strong as ever.

~ I'm holding on to a set of vintage 176mm Cook Brothers cranks right now,...:devil:

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice job! Your son will certainly have a unique ride. :)
I loved my BMX days.

Just curious...is the rear rim the same as the front? Looks fairly worn. I would suggest checking for wear by using a straight edge and seeing if how concave it has become. If it is beyond 1+ mm, call the local bike shop and see what they say when these rims are considered worn and should be replaced.

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice job! Your son will certainly have a unique ride. :)
I loved my BMX days.

Just curious...is the rear rim the same as the front? Looks fairly worn. I would suggest checking for wear by using a straight edge and seeing if how concave it has become. If it is beyond 1+ mm, call the local bike shop and see what they say when these rims are considered worn and should be replaced.

Yes, both rims are used. The back one really should be replaced but I decided to let him get used to the bike before I spent another several hundred dollars on a new set.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, that's a nice bike! I remember when my dad bought me the next door neighbor's "Jimmy Weinert" bicycle. I took it apart and he had the frame chromed for me, and also bought me a bunch of cherry parts for it. I don't know if it was true, but my neighbor told me that only 10 Jimmy Weinert bikes had been built, before the company had been bought by Torker. The frame looked a lot like Torker, with the split bar, but it was a little more squart, or laid back, and it had a "W" cut out on the frame. (right near the head, in the same place the old (early 80's) Mongoose frames had a circle cut out.) Unfortunately, it was eventually stolen.

Edit: If you scroll down on the linked page, you'll see a Jimmy Weinert exactly like the one I had. When I got it, it was the same color as that one, too. http://www.mtbzone.com/bmx/oldschool/davec/index.htm

Last edited:

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a dangerous site...:drool:

Those were fun days back then. I had a Webco, Mongoose, Redline and I'd have liked a Cook Bros. but it was way $$. Wish I had pics of those old rides. The only one that was passed down was the Mongoose. Broke the others. :( The Webco cracked at a head tube weld, Redline sheared at the rear mount..:( That is a sad day in a pre-teen's bike life to be stranded.

Big :twothumbs to Mirage_Man...as a kid, I'd love to have that bike. (My alter ego even now likes it. ;) )

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a dangerous site...:drool:

Isn't it, though? All those bikes that you've always wanted, and for some strange reason, there's still something deep inside of you that's inclined to get them? I've always wanted a Cooks Bros., a Hutch, a Redline, a JMC, a Webco... I used to have a Mongoose, but I never had it tricked out. It was all stock with those super heavy moto-mags. I knew people with most of those bikes, though. I knew people with Gary Turners (before they were called GTs) and CWs, too. My friend had a Cooks Bros., exactly like the one in the link.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tight bike restoration. In the 70's I had a blue Race inc. bike with mag wheels. I loved it, but some asswipe stole it from the garage. My dad bought me a redline, but it just wasn't the same.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tight bike restoration. In the 70's I had a blue Race inc. bike with mag wheels. I loved it, but some asswipe stole it from the garage. My dad bought me a redline, but it just wasn't the same.

Wow, a Race Inc.! If you hadn't mentioned that, I'd probably have forgotten about their existence for the rest of my life. Those were awesome bikes!

Patriot

Flashaholic
Mirage Man, your son is going to "freak!" That turned out gorgeous and it happens to have some really decent parts on it. I'm an old PK Ripper and JMC guy so I'm a bit old school. About 2 years ago I got involved again as a training aid to my mountain biking so I'm pretty familiar with the components on this bike. Judging from the pictures I'm guessing those bars have about a 9" rise which shouldn't be too tall for him if he's a big kid. In any case he'll be fitted to it soon enough. You really lucked out with that fork as I believe it's made by Answer and has a great reputation. Your friend sure hooked you up with that paint job. The custom looks is very cool....way more cool and stealthy than a named frame. Like you said, everyone in the "know" already knows what the frame is even without the badging.

Be sure to tell us about his reaction to his sweet new ride! :)

carrot

Flashaholic
That is an absolutely SICK paint job, and a sweet bike to boot! I never got into the BMX thing but I always had a bike as a kid and now... well I have three bikes and I love all of 'em!

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm an old PK Ripper and JMC guy so I'm a bit old school.

Oh my God, "PK Ripper!" I haven't heard that name, since I was a kid! Those were awesome, too!

Mirage Man's son is going to be so proud of his bike. The fact that he's actually racing, makes it even better.