E2e Question

Catman10

Enlightened
I've just recently got an E2e and like it quite a bit. I'm very impresssed with it's output as compared to my Z2. My question is why Surefire doesn't make a high output lamp assembly for the E2e? If the P61 can run on two 123s, even if it were not quite as powerful why do they not make one like it? Or maybe they are planning to? Perhaps I am asking questions only surefire could answer, but maybe not... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
The question has come up before and it seems to be one of those mysteries. There's a couple of threads about mods to the E2e bezel that will let you put in a P61 or P90/P91 lamp (of course the P9x requires a battery extender). The P91 does overheat after a while, I'm not sure about the P61, but that may explain why Surefire doesn't offer it. Surefire likes conservative designs that are unlikely to fail even under extremely hard use, while modders like to run stuff on the hairy edge of operability... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Shark

Enlightened
Personally I think the reflector in the E2E is just too small for a higher output bulb. The gains in light output just would not offset the reduced runtime you would be able to notice the difference in output much easier with a bigger reflector.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's true (or so I have read) that the P61 mod on the E2e will drain the battery in about 20 minutes and that it gets so hot that it cannot keep going for even half that time without a rest. But . . . a 120 lumen light tucked away in the pocket for short blasts has GOT to feel like a Star Trek phasor ready to fire.

You can find out more about the mod here:
E2E-E2O Bezel Modification

You can get this mod for yourself here:
FS: E2E-E2O Bezel Modification

Blikbok

Enlightened
The 60lumen *is* the high-output bulb. :-D

I have a DSpeck E2c and the whole assembly gets very hot quickly, whether the P90+E2c+UBH or the P61+E2c+E2e.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Shark said:
Personally I think the reflector in the E2E is just too small for a higher output bulb. The gains in light output just would not offset the reduced runtime you would be able to notice the difference in output much easier with a bigger reflector.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't imagine the effect you get with a P61 on an E2E. It's something that has to be seen to be understood. Yes, it will suffer from thermal shutdown at 7-minutes. This setup was never designed for continuous use. If you want the very smallest, brightest package than this is it, hands down.

And by the way, that 7-minute shutdown is with the light not being held. You problably get a bit more time if holding the light, since your hand would act as a heat-sink.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lithium batteries will "shut down" or stop putting out power when they become too hot. Thus "Thermal Shutdown".

draftaman

Newly Enlightened
I've experienced this shutdown sometimes with a p61 in my g2.
Of course I was putting in fresh batterys and doing a full burn time test to see just how hot it would get- and even the nitrolon gets pretty warm. Knowing this is not very good for the LA , believe me, you dont want to touch thoes batterys after a full 20 min burn test with the p61. I felt like dumping them out and backing away slowly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I'm guessing that if the modded e2e with p61 could actually stay on for a full 20 min, you wouldn't want to hold on to that aluminum body the whole time.(read sizzle)

Shark

Enlightened
Could you post any beam shots say next to a C2 6P or something of that nature with a P61? You really got me interested. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif which means now I'm in trouble.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
ralph: nope, but it will still get very hot. if i'm not wrong thermal shutdown was an issue only with the older surefire 12PM/12ZM.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I have not experienced thermal shutdown with any other lamp then the N62 in the 12PM/M4. People have said that constant-on use of the P91 can cause thermal shutdown. I've only done three constant-on runtimes with my P91's and I didn't have this happen.

IMHO High Output Lamp Assemblies more so then other SureFires are not intended as constant-on flashlights.

Al