Kreg Pocket Screw Jig?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I didn't think this quite fit in the Machining forum, so here we are. Saw an infomercial on the "Kreg Pocket Screw Jig" last night. I hate infomercials, but this one caught my eye and I just "had" to watch it! :ohgeez: They've got a video on their website, but it was sloooooooooooooooooow to load when I tried to view it.

Looks like a great jig for fastening wood together. I like building little shelves & such. Anyone ever used one of these?

My Internet search didn't reveal any "sales" & the prices look "fixed" to me no matter the source.

Thoughts? How to get a better price? Worth it?

:thanks:

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
I was just on their site tonight looking at their interesting clamps! :)

While I don't own one, I know people who do, and I've seen them in use.

They're not the typical garbage you see on infomercials - they are in fact very useful for a lot of different things.

You might be able to check it out at Sears or your local hardware store (not sure what that is for you up there, Rick!). Amazon sells them as well, which means you might get free shipping.

They used to be all metal, but now have metal parts encased in plastic (ok, nylon). :( You might still be able to find the original metal ones.

I think it's made in the USA as well... or at least it used to be.

Good luck, and you won't be sorry!

:thumbsup: john

russthetoolman

Enlightened
I have three of their models, I love 'em. Wouldn't be without one ever again. it's like welding, you can place wood anywhere you want and it is a fast, strong system. I built my house free of metal hangers using these pocket holes, and cabinets, jeez, everything wood. I am building a timberframe gazebo using these....
Little giant ladders rock too, I have one from 1986, it is used, looks used, still trust it over any other type of ladder.
Russ....the tool man

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
They used to be all metal, but now have metal parts encased in plastic (ok, nylon). :( You might still be able to find the original metal ones.

There are no problems with the glass-filled nylon models. There aren't cutting edges on the drill bit's flutes where the bit rides in the guide.

I have the base "mini" model and the two-hole "jr" kit. Most of the work I do here involved taking the tool to the work, not bringing the work to the tool, so I don't really see the use for the ones with the built-in clamps. I think the bigger one is easier to use because it has guides that you adjust for material thickness. That's in contrast to the guessing method of positioning the smaller one.

Here's a link to the "jr" kit for better than MSRP. You can get more and longer square-drive screws from Rockler as well.

Just make sure you end up with a 6-in. square driver bit and a shorter one. The square drive screws are self-tapping and the square drive doesn't torque-out, so the screws are great for renovation even without the jig.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
With immediate positive comments from those who use it - going to have to add this to my "gadgets wanted fund"!!

:thanks: indeed!

MicroE

Enlightened
I have had one for many years now. It has drilled thousands of holes for pocket screws. I love it. I also highly recommend the Kreg brand of screws. I use them for many more tasks than pocket holes.
I use dowels sometimes when i want to be a woodworking purist (no metal joinery), but the Kreg jig has seen much more use than my doweling fixture.
Their clamps are great, too.