Story of D10, UltrafireC3 and overheating car

Ajay

Enlightened
Tonight my brother and I were on our way home when the engine temperature gauge on his Nissan 240sx (stock) rose higher than we have ever seen it. We pulled over and took a look...with my D10 Q5. Can't see any leaks and the radiator cap felt barely warm and everything looked ok.

My brother, the car expert (can rebuild engines etc) opened the radiator cap and boiling hot green liquid erupted straight up in a Saint Patrick's day version of Old Faithful.:crazy: Stupid I know. Lesson learned.

Well luckily no one was burned...but for that split second it was cool to see that green geyser illuminated by my D10. Anyway we later got home and my brother pulled out the Ultrafire C3 (2 cell version) I gave him and wow what a difference, that light seemed so bluish and weak. The lack of good spill was very noticeable.

I love my D10 even more after tonight's real life comparison to the UF C3.

Oh and it was a serious oil leak that caused the overheating, not lack of coolant for all you car buffs.

peace
6.jpg

UFc3.jpg

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
those are some awesome pictures!

heh.. :)

I've wanted a D10 for a while. maybe I should take the plunge soon. :mecry: cash..

Last edited:

Toaster

Enlightened
Glad no one was hurt. Your brother the car expert should have known the cooling system is pressurized at normal operating temps :shakehead

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh and it was a serious oil leak that caused the overheating, not lack of coolant for all you car buffs.

Good story... especially the part about the D10 lighting up the green geyser..lol. Removing the radiator cap on an overheating car (or even a normal temp), not so cool. :poke: But, he'll only do that once. :)

Yikes, overheating because of low oil... did the engine :poof:?

jblackwood

Enlightened
Don't get me wrong, I love my D10's, but it really is a lottery. Just because a light is made by a great manufacturer doesn't mean you won't get a green (my D10 Q5) or a blue (my D10 GDP) tint on your light. Personally, the tint isn't enough to warrant me returning it or leaving it at home, I already exchanged one D10 because it emitted a whining noise so I'd rather have the greenish tint over the whining noise any day.

And by the way, I only see the bad tint on these guys when I'm using them in conjunction with my truly neutral white lights: my Dereelights. I personally own 7 different LED emitters installed in differently configured lights from Dereelights and not ONE of them is as green or as blue as either of my Nitecores, not even close, in fact.

Last edited:

Ajay

Enlightened
Glad no one was hurt. Your brother the car expert should have known the cooling system is pressurized at normal operating temps :shakehead
Well the car is his baby, so when your baby gets sick even the best doctor may loose his composure for a minute and make a mistake.

those are some awesome pictures!

heh.. :)

I've wanted a D10 for a while. maybe I should take the plunge soon. :mecry: cash..

Thanks but I stole those pics from off the web, I can't take credit. If you get the D10, spend the $8 more and get the clip. It looks much hotter with the clip.:twothumbs

Good story... especially the part about the D10 lighting up the green geyser..lol. Removing the radiator cap on an overheating car (or even a normal temp), not so cool. :poke: But, he'll only do that once. :)

Yikes, overheating because of low oil... did the engine :poof:?

Thanks. NO the engine was fine. The oil was at the lowest line on the dip stick. Yeah we both learned our lesson about that radiator cap, man that was really close.

And by the way, I only see the bad tint on these guys when I'm using them in conjunction with my truly neutral white lights
Yeah I agree. I recently got a Q5 drop-in from Kai and it's a yucky bluish light but I am getting accustomed to it. But is still sucks when compared to other lights.

Last edited:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
looking back.. I realize that if that were indeed your picture.. you'd own 9 nitecores :O