Light Emitting Puppy

rdg178

Newly Enlightened
i just read that scientists have made a puppy that really glows in the dark. light emmiting puppy

DM51

Flashaholic
Re: lep

Well, a dog isn't a LED Flashlight, so this isn't the right place for it. The Electroluminescent/GID forum might fit better with the description; however, I don't want to be accused of callousness in abandoning the dog there, so I think the Cafe is probably the best place to send it.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

Interesting story. However the reporter got it wrong - it's not a "glow in the dark" puppy, as that phrase implies phosphorescense, the property of producing a glow after the exication source (the UV light) has been turned off. Fluorescence is the correct term for this puppy's properties - it only glows while being islluminated by UV light, not afterwards.

We're lighting geeks here - let's get it right! :grin2:

z96Cobra

Enlightened
I coulda' swore that this post would have had the pic of the vet shining the flashlight into the dogs mouth, and the beam exiting at the "other end"... Now I will have to find that pic!

Roger

greenLED

Flashaholic

Interesting story. However the reporter got it wrong - it's not a "glow in the dark" puppy, as that phrase implies phosphorescense, the property of producing a glow after the exication source (the UV light) has been turned off. Fluorescence is the correct term for this puppy's properties - it only glows while being islluminated by UV light, not afterwards.

We're lighting geeks here - let's get it right! :grin2:
Good point, PW; I was about to point out the same thing.

"Glo fish" were the first "glow in the dark" (I know, I know...) commercially available animals out there. We used to have a batch in our lab (early 2000).

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Me: "Korean scientists have created the world's first glow-in-the-dark puppy."
Wife: "So now they have glow-in-the-dark food?"

:shakehead