Where can I buy the Brightest 3C Mag LED Mod ???

jtice

Flashaholic
I want to convert a 3C Mag to the brightest, longest throw LED mod I can aford.

Where do I get them? And what do you reccomend?

I know all about the mods for the AA Mag, and have 2 picked out.... Newbeam for one, and a BB400 Q3L for the other.

But I dont know if those fit the 3C or not.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I say look for a good bin emitter - Q3 or so, and build the stock 3C using the reflector that came with it. Such a mod would work well with a Batwing, Lambertian (HD), or side emitter (SE), and still make for an outstanding runtime combined with throw... The stock Mag reflector (with trimmed backside) works better than ANY optic I have yet to test. No added expense for a converter using a 3-cell body. A very good choice IMHO.. I just sold a 3C like this the other night.. Oh yeah, I also used a UCL lens to bring things up to the highest level..

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: Where can I buy the Brightest 3C Mag LED Mod ?

You just missed a batch of new Space Needle II's which Mr. Bulk put up yesterday and which sold almost instantly. Those are probably the brightest single-LED lights ever made. They are hosted in a 2C Mag body, even more compact than the 3C. Attempting to run them any brighter by using a 3C and more batteries would probably burn out the LED. Mr. Bulk is working on finagling a reel of W2(!) bin Luxeons from mysterious sources in the Far East, so I'd say your best bet is to watch B/S/T for more SN2's if those W2 Luxeons actually find their way to Mr. Bulk's flashaholic-paradise laboratory where he builds his fiendish creations, or else get yourself a 5W LS and build something similar yourself. See Mr. Bulk's web site for more info about the SN2.

jtice

Flashaholic

I know, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I saw those, but didnt have the $$$ at the time.

Im VERY new to this, and would not able to do any major fabrication myself.

How hard is it to make a Space needle?

Where are the parts, and how much would off it cost?

paulr

Flashaholic

The most expensive component of a Space Needle II (not to be confused with the original Space Needle) is a 5W HD Luxeon which costs 25 or 30 dollars in small quantity. There is no way around that, the 5W Luxeon is the brightest LED in existence and so if you want maximal throw from an LED light there's nothing else you can use.

The rest involves disassembling the Mag, attaching the LED to a metal heat sink slug, soldering some wires, sleeving the 123's, etc. I think you might have to drill a few holes but I don't remember any serious machining operations. Info is on Mr. Bulk's site, I haven't looked at it in a while.

If you don't want to use 123's, you could try ElektroLumens Blaster VI design which uses six AA's hosted in a 2D Mag, with ElektroLumens' own 30mm optics.

Both the SN2 and the Blaster VI are reasonably priced considering the parts and work involved in making them, so unless you want to do the mod work yourself out of enjoyment, just buying a ready-made light will probably save you a lot of time. At $25 for the LED and $20 for the Mag body, you're already up to $45, and I think I've seen complete SN2's on BST in the $75-80 range, so you don't really save that much by building your own.

Note that LED lights are nice in many ways, but high powered ones are much more expensive than comparable incandescents. Their advantages generally do not include cost effectiveness. There's a thread called "285 Lumen 2C Mag-light" which is a simple $10 mod that will be brighter than any LED (even 5W) that's been made so far.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
Mr. Bulk is working on finagling a reel of W2(!) bin Luxeons from mysterious sources in the Far East...

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually my source informed me just today that, "Unfortunately complete reels of W2's are no longer available except for a few open reels (meaning no Bin Code Label which is paramount to my mods, not to mention my credibility here at CPF) and we apologize. Please advise if W 3 V Bin Code Lambertians will suit your needs."!!!

And how do you supposed I replied??? Well, DUH!

Takes a couple weeks via the type of international transport they use. Stay tuned...

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow! Looks like my pocketbook might take another hit...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

PayPal sent!

Doh!

Bart, you wouldn't happen to have clip art showing a credit card getting abused would you? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wilkey

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Flaming plastic!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
Mr. Bulk is working on finagling a reel of W2(!) bin Luxeons from mysterious sources in the Far East...

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually my source informed me just today that, "Unfortunately complete reels of W2's are no longer available except for a few open reels (meaning no Bin Code Label which is paramount to my mods, not to mention my credibility here at CPF) and we apologize. Please advise if W 3 V Bin Code Lambertians will suit your needs."!!!

And how do you supposed I replied??? Well, DUH!

Takes a couple weeks via the type of international transport they use. Stay tuned...

[/ QUOTE ]

What a bummer!!! We need another manufacturer of LSs to spring up! Lumileds is monopolising the market and it is not good for everyone!!! a big :p !!

***EDIT. You're right FalconFX. Read it too quickly. *;-)

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Howard... I think Charlie meant that he's even more interested in the W3s his connection's going to ship him...

Hardly a bummer at all...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Latest posts