Frensnel lense for camera flash boost?

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

I built a game camera that takes pictures of deer when they trip the motion sensor but the flash is weak. Someone suggested using a small frensnel lense to amplify the flash. They said it had to be a clear one that would focus the flash. It also has to be pretty small. Any ideas? Thanks, Jeff

John G.

Newly Enlightened
What you need is more light in general. A fresnel lens won't give you that. You need to buy a "slave flash". What that does is it detects your camera's initial flash and then creates another flash nanoseconds later. This increases the overall brightness of the area and with a couple of them, you can get the effect you want. Since there also aren't any wires, you can place them strategically to get the best lighting possible.

rlhess

Enlightened
Jeff,

If your flash is covering more area than your lens, then you can benefit from a fresnel lens. If not, then the only hope is the above-mentioned slave flash. The slave flash, however, my confound the auto exposure system in the camera.

I think we could help more if we knew the camera type, flash type, and lens settings.

There is one semi-commercial thing called a "project-a-flash" that was useful when using 300mm lenses on 35mm cameras. George Lepp's son Tory makes them.

http://www.leppphoto.com/Project-A-Flash/index.html

Enjoy!

Richard

PsycoBob[Q2]

Enlightened
There is also another option- add-on flashes.
If your camera has one of those U-shaped electrical connections on top for a strap-on flash, you can use one. Most cameras with this mount, however do NOT have an internal flash. The mount is supposed to both hold the flash-module and provide the 'trigger' when the shutter snaps. Often seen on more expensive/older cameras, rare now due to built-in flashes being so standard.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

O.K. Guys
Here is what I am up against. I am using a Olympus D-370 built in flash camera and if I go with a slave unit I am told it will cause problems because my camera has a preflash and that would trigger the slave unit too soon. I am also try to keep cost and size down. I think the flash is too wide. That is why I was considering a lense to focus the flash more. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jeff

rlhess

Enlightened
Jeff,

Does the flash zoom when the camera lens zooms?

If not, then you can use a fresnel lens to focus the light.

The Tory Lepp device is designed for a standalone flash like a Nikon SB-24/25...(I'm dating myself) or a Canon 430Ez.

The problem with the fresnel lens and the built in flash is positioning a big enough one where it will do the most good without it getting in the way of the lens.

If you can turn off the preflash a slave might still be a good idea.

I feel your pain about this. I have a shelf full of camera equipment...this for that and that for this. Each challenge is so easily solved with a dedicated piece of equipment...and when it's camera equipment it'$ u$ually expen$ive!

Cheers,

Richard

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Originally posted by rlhess:
The Tory Lepp device is designed for a standalone flash like a Nikon SB-24/25...(I'm dating myself) or a Canon 430Ez.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">And I thought I was bad... I'm partial to the Honeywell Strobonar 700. Good old fashioned rechargeable "potato masher" speedlight with enough brawn to vaporize typeritten text on a white page!
shocked.gif

Sadly, my beloved Strobonar fell victim to Seismic Sam a couple of winters back.
frown.gif