Wolf Eyes Sniper Cree MC-E 580 Lumens mini-review

325addict

Enlightened
I got in my latest buy, a Wolf-eyes Sniper MC-E light.

This one runs from just one 18650. It has three brightness-stages:

1. Full power, 580 Lumens max: current draw 2A (about 1 hour runtime)
2. 30%: current draw 600mA (about 4 hours runtime)
3. 2%: current draw 42mA (about 50 hours!)

The light output is cool white, just as we are used to from Cree Q5 LEDs.

For the output, the size is very modest. I tried it as a bike light last night, all I can say, it is IMPRESSIVE!

The beam is not a very tight one, it is more of a shorter distance flooder than a thrower. Just what you would need on a bike, or to light the entire place you're pitching up your tent :D

Even in the lowest setting the light output is sufficient to comfortably read a book in complete darkness.
This one makes for a great emergency light: use the ceiling-bounce method to have a little light in your house for about 50 hours or so!

User interface is simple: upon the first switching on, it blasts out the full 580 Lumens. If you don't press the switch that hard that it locks, just release it and quickly switch on again, now you are in the medium output. Repeating this results in the lowest output. Press the switch fully to lock it in the desired mode. Leaving it off for a few seconds restores the default-setting "high".

The driver permits the use of unprotected 18650s as long as you have an eye on the output. This has fallen sharply when voltage is about 2.7 Volts. Finally, a quite safe use for that bunch of old unprotected cells I saved from a SWIT NP-1 battery :p

Workmanship is really flawless. Although it is a second hand light, everything is fine. No sharp edges, threads are machined perfectly, O-ring fit tightly but not TOO tight, finish is a perfect non-glossy black. The feel is very good, it lies perfectly balanced in your hand. This has been different for other Wolf-Eyes lights (for example the M90 Rattlesnake: this one is "head-heavy").

Bottom line: a very well built, versatile light! If this was your only flashlight, it would quite sure meet all needs except for some extreme ones. It is neither that small you can EDC it, nor is it a great thrower. Otherwise: just great!

Timmo.