User upgradeable single cell lights?

jonesy

Enlightened
As of late, I've trimmed down my collection to just a few users, one of those being my 6P with a Malkoff M60. I love that I can swap in any of my different modules with no fuss whatsoever, from the incan from my G2 to my Malkoffs.

So who makes a single CR-123A powered LED light that is like my Novatac 120P that I can buy new upgrades for when the technology improves? I love the form factor of the single cell lights, love the programmability and the build quality, but it would be nice to upgrade it without having to send it off to have someone hack it.

BTW, this light will be my main EDC, to go along with the Muyshondt Aeon. Personally, if I could get a Ra clicky with 200 lumens, nice white tint, and no QC issues I would be quite content and call it a day!

jonesy

Enlightened
Wow, I thought there would be more interest in people having a flashlight like a Ra Clicky that they could have the capability of dropping in new LED's as they became available. I guess the consumer culture of throwing stuff away and not buying things that can last has invaded flashlights as well.

Why don't manufacturers do this? It works for the 6P and Dereelight, I don't see why it doesn't work on a smaller form factor.

Thanks for the suggestions given!

Marduke

Flashaholic
Dropins generally equal sketchy heatsinking. The general idea is if someone actually knows they should upgrade, they have to skill to do it themselves anyhow.

Some nicer lights are assembled with future upgrade in mind. Most of the NiteCore and Fenix lights are built in this manner, where you can disassemble the head for an emitter swap.

Last edited: