Petzl duo mod with 2 P4 for caving

gomagu

Newly Enlightened
Hi! My first post, even if i have spent dozens of hours reading this incredible forum. Thanks to all for everything i learnt.
As i bought a scurion some time ago and my old duo (bulb version) wasn't working anymore, i decided to put inside a couple of seoul P4 and drive it with 18650 batts.
I glued a heat sink and a piece of aluminum and "took them out" of the housing, sealing the hole with "aquasure", wich glues well to plastic and metal and guarantees watertightness.
I used two 5 mode DX drivers (just because i had some spare ones of previous experiments) and a three position switch to control the two leds, wich use a 6 degree and a wider one (¿?) carcio lens, for throw and flood.
I also made some place in the battery case to allow 3x18650 (3.7 V) to fit inside, connected with a JST plug.
Using it in medium mode (aroun 300 mA) gives a very good light for general caving and keeps the light at a warm temperature (not hot at all) getting more than 7 hours of light from a single 18650 (i stopped it then 'cause it was enough for my test).
The throw of the 6º lens is quite similar to the scurion at high.
When running it at high mode, the heat sink gets hot after some minutes and probably the led is suffering, but i plan to use it only for short periods (some seconds or a minute) so no matter.

Pics: (it's a crappy work, but works :))

Last edited:

gomagu

Newly Enlightened
scurion single 18650 adaptor

Hi. Even if the two spare batteries i have for my scurion are far enough for anything i plan to do, i found it would be useful to be able to use any 18650 li-ion battery you can have for other flashlights.
So, i made a very simple and cheap adaptor to allow me using two single 18650 with my scurion. I used a storing box from DX http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.18074 .
I sanded two of the corners to allow it getting into the battery case (it won't damage it because it's plastic), cutted it to shorten it and soldered and glued some metal pieces and a JST connector. It's built so that when i close the scurion's case, a slightly pressure over the upper piece closes the contact between the batterys and keeps it even if you shake the lamp strongly.
I don't know if the scurion driver allows to use up to 12 volts, but if so, this would allow to use 4 x CR123.

Pics: (again not very delicate work, but does the job)

DM51

Flashaholic
Re: scurion single 18650 adaptor

Welcome to CPF, gomagu.

I'm merging your two threads, as they cover the same topic.