Removal of Mag 2C Switch ***'y? What Tool?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Removal of Mag 2C Switch ***\'y? What Tool?

Hi guys,

As you may know, the new Mag C bodies come with the switch/lamp assemblies secured by that old two-hole spanner thing. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what tool to use to remove it?

I don't think you can pop it out like the D bodies which just use an Allen key set screw in the pushbutton.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wilkey

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Removal of Mag 2C Switch ***\'y? What Tool?

I broke down and bought a tool that fits the C and older D cell lights. Orderoutdoors.com I think for under $5 if I remember right.

Mag has two sources on thier site for parts on each coast for "local" service.

I don't think normal spanner wrenches like ones for camera filter repair will reach that far down the pipe around the switch. I will measure the spread of the pins when I get home and add it to this message if you want to make one. My wild guess would be they are on 1 inch centers as the tube measures about 1.1 inches inside diameter.

You might get lucky. One light I had the ring was not even finger tight. You could pick it loose with a long scribe or small long pointy object.

Y2Kirk1028

Enlightened

Actually, I just bought a couple of new mag c and they don't have the retainer ring. You can remove the assembly by removing the hex screw in the button.

dw_1984

Newly Enlightened

Can anyone explain the differences between the new style and old style Mags?

For my old style Mag 2C, I just used a pen and turned that ring that secures the switch assembly and then used a hex key down the button.

I don't know if the procedure is the same with the newer Mag bodies.

Daniel

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just opened up an older 3C and a new 2C. No difference in either. Now older D's usually without the D prefix serial number used a ring and setscrew like the C's. Newer D's use the setscrew only. Been that way for at least four years.

At least for the dozen or so I have discombobulated. Your redults may differ. Also the ring does not seem to be that tight anyway. I have forgotten to return the ring on some lights and they have not come apart yet.

The two new units were a 2C purple and grey. I don't know if it matters.

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast

The older Ds have the floating light bulb holder below the rim of the flashlight, the newer Ds are above

dw_1984

Newly Enlightened

I guess the new style and old are the same in the 2 hole thing contraption.

I just used a cheap ball point pen, stuck the point in one of the holes, and turned counter-clockwise.

Then after much digging around in the garage, I found a hex tool that fit into the push-button and turned.

That's about it.

Daniel

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have 2 2C's and 1 4C and they all have the 2-hole retainer. My new 2D and 3D do not however. But my 10-year old 3D's do.

Also, the 4C's rubber switch cover has an embossed pattern of the lion or cougar head on it. None of my other lights old or new have that.

I guess I'll try and poke the ring with some punches or awls and see if I can work it free.

Wilkey

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just use a pair of "long-nosed" needle nose pliers (the tips). I have never had one that was too tight to unscrew like this.