floating

roadie

Enlightened
i got a olight m30 coming on the way and suddenly, i asked myself how to keep this light afloat if it ever drop into the water?

any ideas?

prefer not to have a pelican box or similar boxes as they are way too big to attach to ,,,, i going to hunt for answers in the net too.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Use a lanyard.

Light won't even hit the water in the first place... depending on how long the cord happens to be.

jankj

Enlightened
Untested, but you may try with some styrofoam material of appropriate shape such as pipe isolation and slide it over the handle. Glue it, tape it or wrap it so it stays there.

It won't be pretty, :eek: but if you use enough styrofoam it will float. :thumbsup:

(Example link is chosen at random, by the way).

gollum

Enlightened
a lot of fishing tackle shops do the floating keychain attachments.
perhaps they have a large one or use 2 or 3 of them?

gollum

Enlightened
just remembered lighthound has them Keep2Go tube things that might be enough to float your boat

Last edited:

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
dive after it?:thinking:

i think the lanyard suggestion is the most practical. i can't imagine something small to keep it afloat.

roadie

Enlightened
i got a keep2go tude .... hmmmm

was thinking of tiying it with a lanyard, then can attach to a small carabiner with is attach to a float ....

or

having some sort of float, tied to paracord, like those skull beads, nice to look at and can floats ....

shall go to local fishing shops to look for more ideas ....

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tie it to the dog. Most dogs can swim but if they cannot, people will dive in to save the dog. Can't always say that about spouses & kids.

How about a floating wrist strap made for small cameras? They're usually bright orange and cost about $20. If the local camera store doesn't have them try a dive shop.

I used to go to a few dives but that's a whole 'nuther story.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
A lanyard attached to something like a belt or even the boat would probably be a good idea.

If you don't want the light attached to something like the boat, then having the light attached to a float might be a good idea like you said. Make sure the light is water resistant, cleaned, and lubed.

Cosmo7809

Enlightened
$25 + s&h and it's a one time use thing but if it keeps 2lbs afloat...

I dont know about you but I'd rather spend 30 or so bucks, then loose my 300 dollar phone in the lake or my keychain with keys for gaining access into car and home, never mind the 150$ atwood.

Patriot

Flashaholic
That's a very cool product! I'm thinking about attaching a couple of these to the lanyard on my Polarion when I'm on the lake.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont know about you but I'd rather spend 30 or so bucks, then loose my 300 dollar phone in the lake or my keychain with keys for gaining access into car and home, never mind the 150$ atwood.

Merely pointing out that there are less expensive things that work as well or better, that a balloon might not be my first choice for expensive gear, and other things are not for a single use. But as I have already said as long as it can keep two pounds afloat, go for it. Freedom of choice is always cool with me.

Last edited: