Need a good Hunting Headlamp

rkersh409

Newly Enlightened
I am in search of a pretty good headlamp for around $30 bucks. I came across the Coleman Max 3AAA light at walmart yesterday and see its not getting very good reviews here at CPF.

So it leads me to this question, how does it stack up against the Princeton EOS 4 mode 50L?

I will be mostly using it for hunting (duck and deer) and fishing. So battery life will be the biggest concern. Closely followed by brightness.

Or any other good recommendations would be appreciated.

By the way this is a great forum. I have bought a couple good flashlights after doing some research from CPF. Was not disappointed in the least!

vtunderground

Enlightened
My $0.02:

Go ahead and buy the EOS. It's cheaper to buy a good headlamp for starters, than to buy a good one after you're disappointed after buying a cheap one (or several cheap ones). I've used the EOS for hunting ever since it was first released, and it's served me well.

I would also recommend buying some NiMH AAA's and a charger... that way you can charge your batteries before going hunting, and you'll never have to worry about heading into the woods with half-dead batteries.

saabgoblin

Enlightened
The EOS Tactical may be a very good for you especially if you can find one of the newer 45-50 lumen output models. The best feature on my 24 lumen tactical is that it comes on in low mode first and that it also has red, green, and blue filters and I am assuming that would be beneficial for your use in hunting. I don't know if that tactical still comes on in low mode first but a quick call to Princeton Tec would solve that issue. PT has told me that ALL of their EOS models have now been upgraded to the 50 lumen Rebel with the frosted optic.

Just make sure that you are getting the newest higher output model available because eventhough the older version is quite nice, I wopuld prefer the increased flood of the new version as well as the brighter output.