$3 Xenon bulb or $18 3W LED for Maglite, which is brighter?

techmonkey

Newly Enlightened
I need a new bulb in my Maglite 3D flashlight. I bought a $3 Xenon bulb and a $18 3W LED bulb, both made by Maglite. I dont use the flashlight much, my previous bulb lasted 3+ years.

I know that LED has longer power life and longer bulb life, but how does it compare in brightness? Neither bulb package states the Lumens.

Any suggestions/comments?

Marduke

Flashaholic
The OEM LED upgrade is rather pathetic and poorly designed. Better made and designed LED dropins can be MANY times brighter.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'd suggest getting neither and saving up for a better drop-in or a new light.

The LED drop-in will give more runtime and more output. But the drop-in has essentually no heatsinking and the LED will overheat despite the driver lowering the current to the LED due to heat. Swapping in a current generation LED will give you double or more output(twice or more the efficiency of the Luxeon III), but the heatsinking problem will still be there.

:welcome:

Backpacker Light

Enlightened
Get a new MagLED 2D. You won't be disappointed. :twothumbs

If you don't mind me asking, what do you mean a new "MagLED 2D"?

I thought the new Mag LED lights were exactly the same as if you purchased the $18 LED and installed it yourself, just as Techmonkey is suggesting??

Now I heard that Mag has finally come out with truely new 2AA lights that have adjustable light levels, but are there also new C and D MagLED lights??

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Yes Mag has started using Rebel's. So far I've only seen the 2D Rebel.

It's a big improvement and mag even thought to include a little heatsinking this time.

Marduke

Flashaholic
If you don't mind me asking, what do you mean a new "MagLED 2D"?

I thought the new Mag LED lights were exactly the same as if you purchased the $18 LED and installed it yourself, just as Techmonkey is suggesting??

Now I heard that Mag has finally come out with truely new 2AA lights that have adjustable light levels, but are there also new C and D MagLED lights??

The first gen was identical. The 2nd gen uses a Rebel.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/221231

Backpacker Light

Enlightened
The first gen was identical. The 2nd gen uses a Rebel.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/221231

Thanks for that link Marduke! I missed that one.

I am here at CPF at least once a day, sometimes more, and I still feel like I am missing alot of imformation. This proves it.

I definitely believe smaller is better in a flashlight, and just cannot justify carrying around a "huge" 3D Mag around.
But I still am interested in the new Mag lights (I mean they only happen once or twice in every generation :naughty: ), and I do admit to having one by my bedside for the unlikely chance of needing a light AND a weapon some night!

mdocod

Flashaholic
Sounds like Mags new Rebel version of the modules has nothing to do with being better as far as new generation LED, was probably more about cost savings as one of the main reasons for the Rebel form factor was reduced per-unit costs. An 060 bin Rebel is no impressive upgrade over the old Lux III unit.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like Mags new Rebel version of the modules has nothing to do with being better as far as new generation LED, was probably more about cost savings as one of the main reasons for the Rebel form factor was reduced per-unit costs. An 060 bin Rebel is no impressive upgrade over the old Lux III unit.

It's a TFFC Rebel, so 060 is really 090 upside-down.